Politics Thread

Not my observation.  I'm far from a green sympathiser, but his contributions to three or four debates I've heard in parliament have been far superior to those of the representatives of either major party.  He was not all that far behind Labor on first preferences last time, and I would be pretty confident that a substantial proportion of the few Lib voters in Melbourne would disregard the party ticket and preference him above Labor.

There was an article in the age the other day that had Bandt polling at 48% of the primary vote.  Which is pretty enormous and a little hard for even a greenie like me to believe, but if he gets those sort of first preference numbers on election day then he'll hold surely, even if the ALP and Libs do end up preferencing each other.

Good to see Rudd sticking to his mantra of a more positive politics - rolling out the negative adds probably bc he knows hes slipping in the polls

Whatever it takes !!!!!

Good to see Rudd sticking to his mantra of a more positive politics - rolling out the negative adds probably bc he knows hes slipping in the polls

LOL

Sex appeal? Wtf tony?

Yeah just googled her. Yeah...

Whatever it takes !!!!!

Negative publicity doesn't work for Labor (it does for the Libs though because their electorate is motivated by only by fear and greed). Just look at what happened to Anna Bligh when they pulled that line in the QLD election... or even going back to the "Shame, Fraser, Shame" campaign.

A negative campaign will cause a landslide against the ALP.

I'd like to know what T Abbott is planning to cut.

Or is he going to wait until after the election to tell us?

I take it that is a rhetorical question.

Tony is the chief acolyte of John Howard. He knows all the mean and sneaky tricks. The week after he gets elected, he will make a big announcement that they just discovered a black hole in the budget and will have to slash and burn everywhere - except for those items that will benefit their rich mates. If Rudd resigns, they will name the "black hole" after his successor so the Murdoch press and Snydey shockjocks can serve up negative publicity on them for the next three years,

Sorry if this spoils the surprise for any newbies out there.

Negative publicity doesn't work for Labor (it does for the Libs though because their electorate is motivated by only by fear and greed). Just look at what happened to Anna Bligh when they pulled that line in the QLD election... or even going back to the "Shame, Fraser, Shame" campaign.
A negative campaign will cause a landslide against the ALP.

Sorry Albert, but tell that to Hewson. Paul Keating ran a pretty negative campaign on the consumption (GST) tax and kicked has ■■■■ ,!

Sorry Albert, but tell that to Hewson. Paul Keating ran a pretty negative campaign on the consumption (GST) tax and kicked has ■■■■ ,!

Yeah but Keating had economic cloat and wore big boy pants. He was someone the people did not like but they did listen too. Kev is almost the opersite of this.

Also Hewson had to kick the biggest own goal in history to help.

I recon Kev should have stayed positive. He needed to show this time was different and new, no matter what.

I take it that is a rhetorical question.

Tony is the chief acolyte of John Howard. He knows all the mean and sneaky tricks. The week after he gets elected, he will make a big announcement that they just discovered a black hole in the budget and will have to slash and burn everywhere - except for those items that will benefit their rich mates. If Rudd resigns, they will name the "black hole" after his successor so the Murdoch press and Snydey shockjocks can serve up negative publicity on them for the next three years,

Sorry if this spoils the surprise for any newbies out there.

Yep.  The devil incarnate.  On election night, if he wins, he's going to have the most surprising victory speech of all time: he'll rip off that suit and tie and reveal the black bodysuit, the horns will sprout from his head, and the reek of sulphur will fill the air.  And we'll all go to hell.

Or do you think it will be even worse than that, Albert?

Yeah but Keating had economic cloat and wore big boy pants. He was someone the people did not like but they did listen too. Kev is almost the opersite of this.

Also Hewson had to kick the biggest own goal in history to help.

I recon Kev should have stayed positive. He needed to show this time was different and new, no matter what.

Although you don't seem to spell very well, you are a Bomber supporter which you gives you some degree of intelligence. Most voters are not that bright and believe all the ads that they show in the media and they think that Bolt and Caro, are deep thinking intellectuals who know what is best.  Negative ads have shown over all elections to be a show-stopper; remember Tampa.  All political parties do deep studies of the motivation of voters and negative wins out every time. I hate it, but you are in it to win, so whatever it takes, I guess.

While I agree with you  about Keating, don't underestimate KRudd. While I do not like the guy (and that puts me in a minority) he is clever and somehow appealing to the masses.  And he is fighter and very resilient; reminds a bit a some of those footy taggers who do not ever seem to go away, and just put everyone off their game.

I think the election will either be very close or Abbott will win easily.  However remember that in 2007, Rudd won over many people who had never voted Labor before and Julia lost them by shafting him; some will return, if it is enough to overcome all the other issues then time will tell.

I think it's fair enough to ask what the coalition will cut should they win office.

LOL at Labor stealing the low-taxes-up-north policy (see Liberal party paper a while back), and Abbott dismisses it as a bad idea and a thought bubble.

LOL at Labor stealing the low-taxes-up-north policy (see Liberal party paper a while back), and Abbott dismisses it as a bad idea and a thought bubble.

I don't agree with the libs often (in fact, it seems the libs don't agree with the libs on this one...), but tbh it IS a bad idea and a thought bubble.

I think the election will either be very close or Abbott will win easily.  However remember that in 2007, Rudd won over many people who had never voted Labor before and Julia lost them by shafting him; some will return, if it is enough to overcome all the other issues then time will tell.

That's pretty much backing every horse in the race, isn't it, Bacchus?

I'm tipping a 15-18 seat coalition majority in the lower house.

If you recall, Hewson stuffed up that campaign. Labor had an almighty help at that election: Packer supported them for who-knows-why. The only mogul with significant media clout now is Murdoch and his goons have been on the attack for years now.

That's pretty much backing every horse in the race, isn't it, Bacchus?

Well, yep I suppose. I listen to all the polls and the rednecks at the pub, and it is very confusing. Most hate Tony, most think Kevin is OK but a little weird, but most don't hate him. How that reflects into votes is hard to read. I think the facts are that the economy is in its worst place for many years, and many people are hurting, always loses votes for the sitting Government. Depends on how much Tony stuffs up in the next three weeks.
I will be handing out how-to-votes from 7:30 am to 6 pm, and I will know by 11 am who is going to win. You can tell by the body language of the voters, and I have not been wrong yet.
In 1996, I knew by about 8:25 am, and it was not pleasant for the rest of the day. Labor lost 31 seats with a 5 % swing to little Johnny.

In 1996, the only organization who got it right before election day was Newspoll. I have never paid attention to any other pollsters since.

I'm tipping a 15-18 seat coalition majority in the lower house.

I'd say 8-12 seats. I'm surprised Rudd waited so long to call the election. Should have leveraged the honeymoon. Huge mistake