Politics Thread

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
For a conservative, "credibility" and "political independence" are 100% agreeing with everything the far right says.

This stance is so pitiful, blinkered and ignorant, it is sad. But then again I suspect that DT types enjoy seeing leftist plots in absolutely facet of life that doesn’t neatly fit into their myopic view of reality.

Paranoia, fear and claiming to know everything are the hallmarks for the far right. Proof that some have descended from tree dwelling apes less quickly than the rest of the population.

Haha - the irony of this post is very funny.

Its hardly a far right stance.
I think most of middle Australia thinks Triggs is a hypocrite who should resign. Her only defenders are those on the left (and generally only the loud-mouthed left too).

Now lets see how independent you are.
*What was Triggs doing on her half a million dollar a year salary in her first year of office whilst 2000 children were in detention?
*Why did Triggs agree to defer any report until after the 2013 election after discussion with two Labor ministers?
*Why did she falsely claim that guards at Xmas Island carried machine guns?
*Why did she overstate the instances of self harm from 1 to 10?
*Why did she recommend a 350K payout plus release from detention for a refugee convicted of the manslaughter of his wife as well as numerous other assaults?

DT for all the carrying on you did about Abbott's wink being overhyped, it's strange how fixated you are on Triggs.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
For a conservative, "credibility" and "political independence" are 100% agreeing with everything the far right says.

This stance is so pitiful, blinkered and ignorant, it is sad. But then again I suspect that DT types enjoy seeing leftist plots in absolutely facet of life that doesn’t neatly fit into their myopic view of reality.

Paranoia, fear and claiming to know everything are the hallmarks for the far right. Proof that some have descended from tree dwelling apes less quickly than the rest of the population.

Haha - the irony of this post is very funny.

Its hardly a far right stance.
I think most of middle Australia thinks Triggs is a hypocrite who should resign. Her only defenders are those on the left (and generally only the loud-mouthed left too).

Now lets see how independent you are.
*What was Triggs doing on her half a million dollar a year salary in her first year of office whilst 2000 children were in detention?
*Why did Triggs agree to defer any report until after the 2013 election after discussion with two Labor ministers?
*Why did she falsely claim that guards at Xmas Island carried machine guns?
*Why did she overstate the instances of self harm from 1 to 10?
*Why did she recommend a 350K payout plus release from detention for a refugee convicted of the manslaughter of his wife as well as numerous other assaults?

DT for all the carrying on you did about Abbott's wink being overhyped, it's strange how fixated you are on Triggs.

I didn’t bring it up.

Im confused. Picking on Triggs is OK because her salary is high so she should be able to take it, but picking on Gina is not OK because something something?

Quoted Post

Im confused. Picking on Triggs is OK because her salary is high so she should be able to take it, but picking on Gina is not OK because something something?

I have no problem with anyone having a go at Gina if its warranted.

That’s good, coz it’s always warranted.

So the PM has announced extra troops to go to Iraq.

That’s bound to end well, given the outstanding success of foreign policy intervention there, so well thought out and implemented by Bush, Blair and the lackey Howard, and their successors.

Ironic that IS type extremism wasn’t an issue with Saddam in charge, nor in Syria before the West started to undermine the El Assad regime.

Still sending more Aussie troops will help Abbott in the polls, and that’s all that counts - preservation of one’s own job.

That’s what leadership is all about in Australia - self interest and no vision beyond the next opinion poll. Australia is basically ■■■■■■ politically and therefore socially. The quicker the whole country is sold off to China the better.

So, regardless of whether Triggs and/or her report are biased, why did the PM play the man and not ball? Surely his “new government” approach would have been better served by dissecting the report and refuting the parts the LNP disagree with rather than going for her juggular?

For a guy hanging onto his job by the slenderest of margins and with a reputation (rightly or wrongly) for aggressive conduct to women, and with a poor PR image, he seemed pretty quick to revert to old ways. I found Rudd to be a pompous ■■■ who knew how to manipulate the media, but Abbott is increasingly coming across as a bumbling thug.

It would be nice to have political parties that actually appear to care about national governance rather than just getting elected by savaging the other mob, but we get the government we deserve I guess.

And before nickyd and daytripper start extolling the virtues of their respective allegiances, I just don’t see it any other way. In fact I reckon I’m pretty much in the middle of Australian politics. I’m not rusted on either way, I’m not passionate about politics but I am interested in having a government that governs fairly and competently. I’m no fan of unions or corporate business and all I see in modern politics is two main parties too far left or right of the centre and effectively out of touch with the people in the middle.

Quoted Post

So, regardless of whether Triggs and/or her report are biased, why did the PM play the man and not ball? Surely his "new government" approach would have been better served by dissecting the report and refuting the parts the LNP disagree with rather than going for her juggular?

For a guy hanging onto his job by the slenderest of margins and with a reputation (rightly or wrongly) for aggressive conduct to women, and with a poor PR image, he seemed pretty quick to revert to old ways. I found Rudd to be a pompous ■■■ who knew how to manipulate the media, but Abbott is increasingly coming across as a bumbling thug.

It would be nice to have political parties that actually appear to care about national governance rather than just getting elected by savaging the other mob, but we get the government we deserve I guess.

And before nickyd and daytripper start extolling the virtues of their respective allegiances, I just don’t see it any other way. In fact I reckon I’m pretty much in the middle of Australian politics. I’m not rusted on either way, I’m not passionate about politics but I am interested in having a government that governs fairly and competently. I’m no fan of unions or corporate business and all I see in modern politics is two main parties too far left or right of the centre and effectively out of touch with the people in the middle.

Pretty fair comment I reckon George. A lot of people are feeling like you, even us rusted on types !!

Reminds me along time ago, when a footy team I played with was all about the biff, and forgot how to play footy. Eventually the club lost support and folded. Sometimes I think Politicians forget why they are there.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA etc

Quoted Post

So the PM has announced extra troops to go to Iraq.

That’s bound to end well, given the outstanding success of foreign policy intervention there, so well thought out and implemented by Bush, Blair and the lackey Howard, and their successors.

Ironic that IS type extremism wasn’t an issue with Saddam in charge, nor in Syria before the West started to undermine the El Assad regime.

Still sending more Aussie troops will help Abbott in the polls, and that’s all that counts - preservation of one’s own job.

That’s what leadership is all about in Australia - self interest and no vision beyond the next opinion poll. Australia is basically ■■■■■■ politically and therefore socially. The quicker the whole country is sold off to China the better.

Plus, putting troops into the front line against ISIS increases exponentially, the possibility of more extremist/lone wolf terror attacks here, and this decision is perfectly timed to perhaps inspire one within 6 months of the next election, which would secure a win.

Cynical?? You betcha.

Seen enough of & read enough history about this sort of cr@p that almost exclusively occurs under right wing rule the world over, to believe nothing is beyond them. Don’t know how many here are aware that under the Taliban, opium production in Afghanistan was cut by 90%, then, after the invasion, it shortly returned to & surpassed pre Taliban levels. And Iraq?? now what did the west want that they had supply control of??

Whats a few thousand dead civilians on home turf when such bucks are to be made?

Everything the Lib’s have done lately could be construed as measured to inflame any latent troubled jihadi’s & spur them on, including highlighting just how many schools don’t have security, & that any of them could be the sort of target for maximium impact to horrify the nation.

The extreme right, loves an evil enemy, it justifies thier agenda entirely.

The below is a good thing in my opinion. What they really need to do though is fix the overseas postage issues cause that is really hurting Australian businesses. I believe there is an honour system with regards to overseas postage, i.e. if you post something from say the UK to Australia the Australian company will deliver the parcel for free and vice versa (the home country keeps the money). The issue being Hong Kong for example may post something to us costing $5 AUD but for us to post the reverse it’s $25 AUD. Good for Australia post, bad for Australian businesses competing internationally.

"THE price of a standard postage stamp is set to rise from 70 cents to $1 and mail will take longer to arrive, according to government sources.

Malcolm Turnbull is expected to announce today that Australia Post will introduce a two-speed service, which would take two to three days to deliver regular mail and charge a premium for next-day delivery.

The move comes after the service announced a 56 per cent drop in first-half profits, with losses on letters doubling to more than $150 million.

The move could mean more pressure on businesses that rely on Australia Post.

Australians are sending a billion fewer letters a year than they did in 2008, but Mr Turnbull pointed out that Australia Post is currently required to provide a Monday to Friday delivery service to most homes.

His comments on delivery may concern some online shoppers, with internet purchases growing each year. Revenue from Australia Post’s parcel service was actually up four per cent, and revenue for its business parcels service it was up five per cent.

“The decline of Australia Post’s letters business threatens the financial viability of its entire business,” the Communications Minister wrote on his blog last week.

Australia Post will have to apply to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to increase the price of stamps.
Pensioners and commonwealth concession card holders will still be able to buy stamps for 60c and it will still cost 65c to send Christmas cards."

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
So, regardless of whether Triggs and/or her report are biased, why did the PM play the man and not ball? Surely his "new government" approach would have been better served by dissecting the report and refuting the parts the LNP disagree with rather than going for her juggular?

Pretty fair comment I reckon George. A lot of people are feeling like you, even us rusted on types !!

Reminds me along time ago, when a footy team I played with was all about the biff, and forgot how to play footy. Eventually the club lost support and folded. Sometimes I think Politicians forget why they are there.

Yep.
The first party to notice the new reality of a massive percentage of people voters who just do not give a crap about Liberal or Labor anymore, that are sick to death of the ‘they suck/no, they suck’ rhetoric, is going to win big.

Tony Abbott you’re next

We need a sea of red on the streets. Can we count on you?

Tomorrow at 10am, Victorians will march as one in support of workers’ rights.

Last year, you used your voice and organised thousands more to speak up for a better government in suburbs and towns across Victoria.

Now it’s time to speak up again - against Tony Abbott’s unfair attacks on families and workers.

Will you put on your red Labor t-shirt tomorrow and join the thousands of Victorians fighting for a fair go?

Medicare. Schools. TAFE. Pensions. You and I both know Tony Abbott and his Liberals will keep attacking the people least able to defend themselves.

In the weeks and months to come, we’re counting on you to organise your community against these attacks.

Tomorrow, help us give the Liberals a taste of what’s coming.

Yours sincerely

Stephen Donnelly
Assistant State Secretary

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Yep.
The first party to notice the new reality of a massive percentage of [s]people[/] voters who just do not give a crap about Liberal or Labor anymore, that are sick to death of the ‘they suck/no, they suck’ rhetoric, is going to win big.

If only. We saw what happens when Komfy Kim Beazley did the co-operate with the incumbent strategy.

After Abbott gave zero help in opposition & just tore down everything & put getting “In” over & above the good of the nation, no ones about to give the pr1ck an even break at all.

Such is life with a two party system. More would be better … none would be best.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post

Yep.
The first party to notice the new reality of a massive percentage of people voters who just do not give a crap about Liberal or Labor anymore, that are sick to death of the ‘they suck/no, they suck’ rhetoric, is going to win big.

Excellent work. Spot on with how increasing numbers are feeling.

Quoted Post

Tony Abbott you’re next

We need a sea of red on the streets. Can we count on you?

Tomorrow at 10am, Victorians will march as one in support of workers’ rights.

Last year, you used your voice and organised thousands more to speak up for a better government in suburbs and towns across Victoria.

Now it’s time to speak up again - against Tony Abbott’s unfair attacks on families and workers.

Will you put on your red Labor t-shirt tomorrow and join the thousands of Victorians fighting for a fair go?

Medicare. Schools. TAFE. Pensions. You and I both know Tony Abbott and his Liberals will keep attacking the people least able to defend themselves.

In the weeks and months to come, we’re counting on you to organise your community against these attacks.

Tomorrow, help us give the Liberals a taste of what’s coming.

Yours sincerely

Stephen Donnelly
Assistant State Secretary

So in summary, this is a protest about what people ‘think’ Abbott might be planning.
Its not even based on anything real.

Embarrassing.

Why run it on a weekday? Why not wait a couple of days and run it on their own public holiday on Monday?

Quoted Post

Why run it on a weekday? Why not wait a couple of days and run it on their own public holiday on Monday?
Excellent question that I think everyone knows the answer to.

Actually I’m kind of surprised they didn’t plan it for a Thursday.
Take Friday as a standard sickie and voila - its a 5 day break.

Yeah corporate lobbyists are way better - not like they do it on the company dime.

Quoted Post

Yeah corporate lobbyists are way better - not like they do it on the company dime zac.

Keeping it Aussie.