Politics

Pretty much none in a lot of cases.

Simple
punishment and keeping the bludgers off the streets.

1 Like

The most powerful union in the country is the lawyers’. Which is ironic considering the Party whose raison d’ĂȘtre is union-bashing, is dominated by lawyers, or as you say high-paid a-holes.

Albert, how many a-holes on the ALP front bench? Just asking,

Many.
It is politics after all.

1 Like

You didn’t partisan properly.

He only partisans when it’s bi.

BSD, that’s outrageous. We’ll have people marrying animals next.

3 Likes

That question does not address my post, but it is too easy, so I will give you a choice of two:

1. too many; or

2. more than there are front benchers.

Better to have the death penalty to exterminate these scum.

1 Like

How does punishing someone for murder by murdering them help us as a society? it sounds like you want revenge.

2 Likes

some people are just a waste of oxygen, and hence deserve to be eliminated.

I find no excuse for many who are violent and seem to enjoy what they do.

No wonder Skynet just decided to get rid of all of us. It’s too hard to figure out.

3 Likes

and the problem with revenge is precisely what?

It helps by ensuring that the person cannot murder someone else. Punishment is not revenge its consequence. Personally I don’t advocate the death penalty but I can appreciate that for the most serious criminals, for whom there is no chance of rehabilitation or release, death penalty could be seen as more humane if not at the least more efficient. When the majority of prisoners return to corrective services within 2 years of release I think its fair to say that longer sentences reduce the exposure of these people to the public.

1 Like

While I do agree With most of what you say JBomb, majority do not re-offend.

Does Cory Bernardi know about this?

4 Likes

The stats according to the sentencing advisory council are 51% & that’s just the ones that are caught within 2 years of being released. Aust wide 44% return to prison within 2 years & the rest are given non-custodial sentences. Again this is just the ones caught within 2 years. Now maybe they are all really unlucky & every ex-con gets caught for every crime & maybe you believe in unicorns, the Loch Ness monster or the possibility of unbiased umpires but facts are facts, most prisoners in Australia re-offend after being released. Longer sentences doesn’t particularly stop recidivism, it just gives scumbags less opportunity to re-offend.

You’re looking at it the wrong way imo. We shouldn’t be talking about longer or shorter sentences, we should be talking about why we have such a high recidivism rate compared to somewhere like Norway (20%). They throw a lot of money and resources at rehabilitation and the benefits are enormous. We need to be smarter, not tougher.

4 Likes