Politics

All of that crew, I worked at Beat with them when juke folded

1 Like

I was going to say 35 - 40.

But you still have that strong idealism, & donā€™t show the clear signs of despondency that tend to be present post the big 4 Ooooooh ā€¦no! :expressionless:

And hey,ā€¦ donā€™t go lumping me with BFā€¦ Heā€™s clearly a boomer, while Iā€™m an original Xer.

I was reading In Press a while by the time Juke folded, ā€¦ And remember Beat coming along & being considered very uncool back then for some reason I could never quite work out. Can you shed any light on that?

I remember picking up a copy of IP at the Prince one day, and this bearded guy grabbed one after me, and hawked up a lung oyster & duly spat it on the pile of Beats, and I just stood there dumbstruck. I never worked out what the hate was about??

Hey! My despondency is thanks to Howard-Rudd-Gillard-Rudd-Abbott-Turnbull!
Donā€™t you put that on me!

Face it mate, ā€¦ it just happens to us all when we realise weā€™ve ā€œJumped the Sharkā€ and arenā€™t a kid anymoreā€¦

At least TPOH wrote a kick arze song about itā€¦ A post 40 anthem for the ages.

I have the original single, yours for a good price.
Andā€¦yeah-nah.
Not my fault Iā€™m more progressive post 4 ohhhhhh than 95% of the Parliament.

1 Like

Thread takes a momentary turn towards the very late 80ā€™s early 90ā€™s street press outtanowhere and Iā€™m conjuring up images of Melbourne looking broke, Victoria being being broke, ripped jeans and the Punters Club.

2 Likes

Beat was uncool because of its owner by and large, he was/is far more money than music driven. Heā€™s a good guy, funny. But at the time he didnā€™t have that Indy Melbourne music motivator that all the guys at duke had. He made some shrewd hires around that time ( I wasnā€™t one of them) and it shifted. Rob was good at killing his compatition. A lot of other street press other than Inpress popped up and tried to compete and he would make it his position in life to make sure they wouldnā€™t make it past 10 issues. That was largely the uncool thing about him. He would keep an ear to the ground on what were the emerging scenes in town and would find out who was a mover and shaker in that scene, and hire them. But was always about selling ads at the end of the day.

1 Like

The last week of the punters being open was probably the best week of bands at one venue I have ever seen.

Was lucky to sneak onto one of the bills and Ive never played to a venue so over packed. It was crazy

I think Body Jar, Magic Dirt and Spiderbait played on other nights, they deliberately miss spelt names to try and keep the crowds down btw.

Shihad played semi normal for the first time that night, and that was also one of Cogs first Melbourne shows.

1 Like

Geez, heaps of memories from that night are flooding back, that was our second gig with a new singer who only knew the words to 2 of our songs , and adlibbed the rest, I hadnā€™t seen or heard cog and bet our drummer after seeing Lucius Borichā€™s kit get set up that I said there was no way he used all of it that if he did Iā€™d buy one of the bands tshirts, so I wore a cog tshirt on stage that night lol, Mark Hosking was shihads TM and was stuck in the tiny band room tuning guitars behind the stage, Hos is Karnivools guitarist now. I was on the cover of Inpress that week and Tom Larkin and a few of his mates kept holding up copies while we were playing to try and put me off.

Weird night.

And I got a parking fine.

Well he says he voted for Paul Keating twice, assume that was 1993 and 1996.

If he was 18 in 1993, makes him 42 now, he does act considerably younger.

Flyer billing is gold.

Was there the last night of the Punters Club. They ran out of beer and kicked us all out, from memory there might have been some tears shed by a few. I had an old 80ā€™s World Series Cup t-shirt from the mid 80ā€™s and some guy offered me up to $400 for it and I still said ā€œNoā€, idiot. Me, not him. Anyhow, off topicā€¦

1 Like

Commonwealth procedural submission on dual citizenship to High Court can be accessed on
documentcloud.org/document/3936
In regard to citizenship by descent ,Pyne is suggesting that Section 44 provisions on dual citizenship should be subject to activation of rights to automatic citizenship.
Meanwhile, the Directions hearing on that other Section 44 case - whether the Nats rep Gillespie holds an office for profit under the Crown - is scheduled for today.

Itā€™s beceause I was 21 for professional reasons between 1997 and 2008. So Iā€™ve only just mentally hit 30

Youā€™re all old!

1 Like

Will be interesting to see if a little policy security will bring investment and downward pressure on prices

1 Like

But, I thought building renewables increased power prices.

Jokes aside, itā€™s nice to see some leadership on this.

1 Like

That is debatable !

1 Like

Yes. Coz it sure aint coming from this bunch of anachronistic a holes we currently call a Federal Government.

1 Like

So this taxing massive multi-nationalsā€¦thatā€™s actually going to happen?

On one hand, good on them for doing that.
As long as they donā€™t go overboard congratulating themselves for what isā€¦so obvious it makes me tired to even be talking about it.

1 Like