Politics

No idea when my area is due, was this year from memory. Anyway, we’re set for NBN throough the existing foxtel/telstra Cable supposedly. Which dosen’t bother me as I already have 100mb speeds. What will be interesting is to see if traffic congestion goes through the roof once everyone in my area is forced to use cable.

NSW government sold a coal power plant two years ago for 1 million dollars. Currently valued at 730 million dollars. Jeepers.

1 Like

The LNP are in Murdoch’s back pocket, so fibre to the property shafts Foxtel.

4 Likes

A couple months ago I was told I’d be getting it Q1 2018, all the companies been mailing out flyers and ready to sign me up.

Just checked the website and now it’s saying 2020.

WTF?

You can search on your address at https://www.nbnco.com.au to see date plus method of connection.

The answer provided might even end up being true.

1 Like

My Dad got a letter today from NBN advising he had to switch his Telstra plan to NBN. Its supposed to be under the same terms and conditions so will find out more tomorrow. This is for the Doncaster area.

NBN Co don’t have retail plans.

My NBN is slow tonight.

Normally it’s closer to 95.

Quote from letter.

The NBN network is replacing the existing network that delivers home phoneservices in your location. If you want your home phone services to continue working , you’ll nèd to move to the NBN network.

Yes, but with a company that isn’t the NBN. Like Telstra for example. NBN Co do the installation, but the others do the plan with you.

I’m lucky to get 6Mbps. Usually it’s around 4Mbps. We can’t even watch catch-up tv without interruption. My current provider is trying to corner me on an NBN plan that will deliver a ‘cough’ guaranteed 25Mbps as a minimum but they want $120 per month for it. But read the fine print and the 25Mbps guarantee is so conditional as to be worthless. The NBN is a farking scandal.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll keep this in mind when I call Telstra tomorrow.

Read the what annoys you thread to see my fun times with Telstra and the switch to the NBN. The internet part was fine, it was the paperwork they completely stuffed up.

Get names and numbers.

From what I’ve read, if you’re on Telstra Cable don’t switch until you have to. They reserve a certain percent of the cable for the original users and a certain percent for the NBN users… and the original users suffer less congestion.

(From the other point of view, most people’s HFC NBN should improve a year or so after it starts, when those original users are stopped being so greedy.)

So emphatically agree.

Been thinking about it for a few years now … II’m really starting to hate this country.

It seems to be becoming more ignorant, stupid & red necked every year despite most of the rest of the world moving forward.

Despite all evidence to make you go naaahhhh, … fk off, …Tony Abbott is still around and has influence FFS!!!,

And what happened today with the Feds raiding the AWU, … at this point at least, would seem to be almost the last fking straw.

Murdoch feeling threatened by it (Fox etc), and turning his papers and other media full tilt towards destroying it and Gillard et all in the process, to get a compliant Lieberal Gov in power to render it shithouse, … that’s how.

Don’t call Telstra.

Investigate what providers service your area, … you will likely be glad you did.

The AWU raid is a get Shorten campaign relating to what is being claimed are irregular donations to Get Up and to Shorten’s electorate. Reportedly the AFP acted on a referral from the Registered Organisations Commission , which acted on a request from who knows.
Get Up is being separately pursued by the AEC to disclose its donations as an affiliated ( political) organisation. Bodies such as the Minerals Council are exempt from such status as their revenue comes from fees rather than donations. Spot the difference with Union income from fees?

Are you sure you can’t get cable? I would have thought you can but would need to pay for the lead in with trenching etc?
We went through this earlier this year and now have cable. ADSL became unusable. Telstra ■■■■■■ it up in ways that still make me shake my head. I ended up going through the ombudsman and got over $2k in credit / compensation.

Planned HFC. In 2019. Down the road has it already. If I keep my current provider and plan, ie: 100mbps, I will have better upload speeds, but congestion will be an issue.