Politics

You’ve ignored the people who aren’t on any sort of government pension. They’ll be getting the lion’s share of that $5bill.

I always thought the zero-tax-after-60 was just too generous, as it led to major rorting. It would have been much easier to set a higher tax-free threshold, in the interests of fairness, say $80k and would have attained a similar but fairer result.

My super’s with VicSuper and not in an SMSF, before anyone starts.

3 Likes

Watch this space on the fallout from The Quaedvlieg sacking. Dutton went through Queensland Police Academy with him. There is an AFP inquiry into the leaking of emails to the Daily Mail designed to damage him. Questions are being asked why the inquiry was bounced around and finally ended up with PM&C. I understand that, as it was a statutory appointment by the Governor General, there has to be some sort of report to Parliament.

1 Like

Thanks… I was misled by the way it was reported.

The point is even stronger then that the Tories are using pensioners as a smokescreen when others are getting the lion’s share of $5Bn.

most pensioners who have shares have a handful of AMP shares from when they demutualised and they held onto them. Probably worth around $5,000 and a couple hundred of dollars of franking credits.

Self funded retirees will be hit. But they are currently paying no tax (ex GST, land tax etc) so im ok with that.

And they will still be paying no tax, just not getting tax refunds.

Not much interest in Batman. Walked straight in, zero queue. Never had that at this primary school before.

Bhathal was on the hustings on the way out.

Democracy sausages were available but I just ate breakfast.

1 Like

How were the breakfast chips?

Yep. Walked in, no queue at 9am. Was that E12 in the Australian Conservatives T?

2 Likes

I think e12 is a little too conservative to wear something as Leftist as a T-Shirt

1 Like

No queues were I was too.
Interesting to hear that the Labor candidate couldn’t even vote for themselves cause they don’t live here. The last guy resigned cause he wasn’t even from this country.

1 Like

Antony Green is calling it for the Libs in SA. Batman looks like it’s Labor’s.

Catastrophic night for SA Best and Nick
Xenophon.

And the libs look like getting in , in SA which will be a disaster

There was a queue at 8am at the local school but no pamphlet hustlers (must vote early again). Did anyone else see the ‘vaping Batman posters’? They were a crack up.

Looks like Labor have got over the line in Batman.

Adelaide has come a long way in the last 16 years under Labor. Real nice city these days. That’s probably over for a while now.

More Labor scaremongering.
Great to be rid of the r-soles

Lol

Godamit. May be urinating.

Franking credits are the perhaps the worst of all the regressive taxes we have in this country. Almost all of the tax benefits flow towards the very highest earners in the country. It needs to be binned immediately.

The argument about “double dipping” on taxation paid is absolute wank too. People are “double dipped” on tax every day.

Di Natale blaming the hard right for Batman loss, where Labor ahead on primary vote ( got over the line last time on Lib preferences) .
Last time Liberals got 20% of primary vote, did not run a candidate this time. Australian Conservatives have 6.5% of primary vote so far, Labor appears to have made inroads in the south of Bell Street part where Greens are strongest
And who were the thugs making robo calls to seniors in the north telling them they did not have to vote?
Booth votes will be interesting.

Income tax legislation clearly states that the same income cannot be taxed twice - so it’s not an “argument”.
Interestingly corparate tax entities do not get a refund for franking credits in excess of tax payable. Instead the excess is converted into a carry forward tax loss.