Politics

Every read this and commit it to memory, and tell to everyone who will listen.

Here’s a better statistic that reflects actual labour conditions in this country.
Less than half of working Australians have a permanent full time job with leave benefits.
https://www.futurework.org.au/the_dimensions_of_insecure_work

4 Likes

Thems rich people words

1 Like

I suppose the other consideration is the idea that the broader media community are complicit in partisan politics. So not only can you disregard what politicians say but the reporting is questionable as well.

Well Simmo, I know many so-called “Career Politicians”; some are great at their job, others average and a few stink. And just what is wrong with anyone taking a career in politics. All the ones I am close to, work their backsides off and within Labor have to put up with campaigning for their job every three years within the Party and then have to fight an election to keep their job as well.

We have a culture of not liking Governments and blaming them for everything, and most voters just don’t understand they voted them in and should expect what they get.

Bill Shorten is not in my faction in the ALP, but he is the Party Leader and I respect what he does. I am not sure exactly why many do not like him; I have met him many times and find him an an unpretenious bloke. The Media do him no favours and as tend to vilify our Leaders in any case. Most do not deserve it. He is definitely not a rich prick, and I have seen him in casual gear.

And my firm belief is that the media do a poor job, and attack personality rather than policy or substance.

Like a good footy team, if our society and our parliament worked together a bit harder we would all be in a better place.

@DonMania posted an interesting link about an American study which suggests white voters seem to gravitate toward right wing ideology and move away from supporting democracy if their position in society is threatened or if minority groups appear to be advantaged by the democratic process. I reckon there is something in that. One side of the inlaws who were Labor voters now support Hanson due to ‘darkies and musos’ being given benefits ahead of decent Australians. When questioned further, they mean white multigenerational Australians when they say ‘decent’. When told that Hanson’s politics are to the right of the coalition, they don’t care because they blame Labor for changing the character of Australia for the worse.

Except every time, . there’s virtually, if not absolutely, . 50% (sometimes more) of the Voters that didn’t, … so they have every right to blame them for everything.

Only the Right wing Media in their aim for the ignorant do this in the main.

Plenty of good Journos point out the truth and reality, . (see many of Reboots posts in here of late for prime examples), it’s just that a huge number of voters don’t get to see it, and likely wouldn’t read it, or for that matter understand it if they did.

2 Likes

Said it many times, … I’m sure he’s a decent bloke, has integrity in his mantra for helping lift and help the less fortunate, … and he has well proven that to my mind, … and I also think he’s a very strategic and Savvy political operator, … but unfortunately he just seems to have the charisma of a cardboard box, and even after this many years as leader, despite ample opportunity to improve his oratory skills through training or lessons etc, … still can;t deliver a speech with correct inflection, meter, or timing to save his fkn life, he still sounds like an automaton.

I find that fkn extraordinary, and extremely disappointing.

1 Like

@Reboot - where are these excellent articles coming from?

1 Like

@Bacchusfox no need to defend it to me, I’m sure there are some wonderful people. I’m talking about wider community perception. Everything is so carefully stage-managed by the big parties that no one’s personality stands out, and (unfortunately) personality matters so much in elections.

Along come boofheads like Palmer and Bernardi and Hanson who have enough influence to get jammed into positions of power, who display some personality (good or bad or whatever) and they get votes because of their personality.

Who do the left currently have in their ranks who stands out personality-wise? Albo kinda, Penny Wong, maybe Pat Dodson?

Pliba mate.

1 Like

Traditional media these days is so under-resourced that they pretty much have to take whatever is given to them instead of doing a bit of digging. Plus there’s so much content (news/entertainment/etc) competing for everyone’s attention that people would rather choose something that doesn’t make them think or question their own beliefs, so political news gets pushed to the bottom of the order.

Oh yeah. Her too.

However six months ago I wouldn’t have been able to tell her from Michaelia Cash in a line-up. Guess I’ve got the AWU to thank for clearing that up.

The left’s biggest mistake over the last decade or so is overestimating the intelligence of the electorate.

2 Likes

Would likely make the best PM out of the current bunch IMO. Have thought this for a couple of years now

‘Yeah, nah. Pauline’s got a point, but.”

This is because the media constantly tell them the left is trying to bring about the end of times while the LNP get a free pass to screwing everyone out of everything that is and isn’t held down for their handful of paymasters. Anyone who can’t see past the Murdoch behind the curtain as well as the influence of online disinformation is going to wonder why things don’t quite seem to work the way they were told they’re supposed to and get a little agitated, do rash things like vote for Clive Palmer and probably get even more agitated when it turns out he’s not going to make things more fair, he’s going to screw his own and be a prick about it on national TV.

You have the right idea

Keep companies at 30%
And individuals @30% top rate

As people get around tax and put money elsewhere anyway.

If they can get it out of companies at 30% tax they would be happy to pay tax and more able to part with it.

We shouldn’t be reducing company tax.even small business company tax. 30% is fine

We should reduce payroll taxes to nil (which means employers have to pay more $$$ to employ extra person on top of wage once they are over limits.)

1 Like

For the 2017/18 income year, the company tax rate is actually 27.5% for companies that are small business entities with an annual aggregated turnover of less than $25 million. Only companies with an aggregated annual turnover of $25 million or above are subject to a 30% rate on taxable income.