Politics

Yeh but it’s a load of crap when they pull money out of company still gonna be taxed at individual rates.

Should leave companies and just reduce personal taxes.

‘Taxable income’ is the killer here.

I know 30% company tax is the nominal rate, but there’s so many rebates, loopholes, accounting tricks, tax-minimising corporate structures and offshore tax havens that get used that I think for bigger companies the real rate that gets paid is closer to 15%, and lots pay effectively zero.

And the thing is, most of these concessions are perfectly defensible. But there’s just an imbalance in power and incentive. There is a huge incentive for big corporates to invest large amounts of money in minimising or avoiding tax - a bunch of sneaky lawyers and accountants are cheap, and the rate of return on investment is huge. But a small business simply can’t afford the up-front costs of that sort of structure, so they don’t have the option. And the budget of the enforcement agencies is so small that they’re almost always out-funded and out-lawyered by the big companies, and a fair bit of the time the same big 4 accounting firms that are raking in cash for setting up tax evasion schemes are populated with ex-enforcement people as consultants.

1 Like

Totally agree on this post Houli.

I don’t believe the whole argument that we need to lower company tax rates to compete with the rest of the world.

Few companies are going to come here because of our corporate tax rates:

• We’re not going to win new exporting manufacturers, those days are over…
  • Mining companies will continue to set up here, but we don’t need to ‘attract’ them with lower tax rates, the immovable resources do that…
  • There are multinationals that will come here to sell product to our domestic population - they will come here to access our consumers regardless of whether the tax rate is 25% or 35%.
4 Likes

Joyce has now reduced his leave to 4 weeks. Might have come after the human headline queried his paid leave entitlements. After his dual citizenship resignation, he may not have accrued much in leave entitlements.
And , after probing by the Hun, Mr nice guy Greg Hunt forced to apologise for intemperate language to the Mayor of Katherine.

Exactly what has happened to many of the so called “Obama --> Trump” voters in middle America.

Probably why letting people vote and having a democracy is sadly a waste of effort.

Not sure though Australia is ready for the kind, benevolent Dictator like me. I am fully prepared to give it a shot though.

1 Like

Public access to all business accounts over $25m?

Government has dropped the live exports bill because one of their own was going to side with Labor on a ban. I thought they were free to cross the floor any time? Guess they can’t afford not to look like the tight knit unit they already aren’t.

1 Like

Probably not quite the right thread, but since when did getting as full as a goog or as high as a kite in any way justify acts of violence.

We had the guy do the road rage attack on the two old ducks (still not sure what precipitated his initial tailgating) but then his brief says he’s trying to withdraw from an ice addiction. Well, boo-■■■■■■■-hoo. Shove that crap in your veins, or down your throat, and do the time.

And the judge who upheld the appeal against the two bogan sheilas who beat up the ambo…talk about being in touch with community attitudes…even non-HS readers’ attitudes.

When I were yoong, if you committed crimes when drunk or high, it made your culpability worse, it didn’t give you an excuse. If you sacrifice your free will and self-control, then tough bickies.

I totally support mandatory sentencing in these cases and am sick and tired of lawyers carrying on about it. There have got to be consequences for wanton acts of violence.

And it’s a pity Gargasoulas (of Bourke St fame) was ever allowed to get out of his car.

8 Likes

As an aside to an side, I’m kind of ■■■■■■ off that a bit of legislation that has been rightfuly been knocked back for at least three decades was piggy-backed through.

Mandatory sentencing for assaults on Paramedics and police.

Yeah…not 100% on that one. Maybe in cases like the one at Highpoint where the woman police officer was attacked by another party while making an arrest.

But shouldn’t be mandatory. Ambos for sure. Fireys too.

One lot have a truckload of protection, and in very rare cases, have been known to initiate the violence themselves. May be sarcasm involved here.

1 Like

Damn right.

It’s all about excuses as a defence or call for leniency - was on drugs, recovering from drugs, drunk, depressed, is unemployed, wrong race/colour, a cultural misfit, traumatic childhood, grandfather was an alcoholic, parents separated, today was too cool/hot, blah, blah, blah, crap, crap, crap.

And unfortunately the judiciary seem too often to buy into this bullshyte.

Lucky for many that I’m not a magistrate or judge as I’d be dishing out maximum sentences, and happily putting on a black cap.

Mandatory sentencing for assaults. - fixed

Happy for the mandatory bit, … but into rehabs, (yes, locked up in them for X years), just not fkn Jails. It only makes things worse, and then kicks that worse down the road to be unleashed on Society, and do even worse things later.

1 Like

But it ain’t though…

“We’re a broad church."

1 Like

Sussan Ley wants back in.

The main focus for the judiciary when it comes to sentencing is chance of rehabilitation. Someone who commits an offence in an altered state of mind (chemically induced or otherwise) can probably be turned around if the dependency/addiction/whatever is addressed.

If you think about it that way, then the folk who are sober, good upbringing and in a stable frame of mind, and still choose to commit a violent offence… well they are way scarier to have out on the streets.

4 Likes

Barnaby’s partner reckons people were pressuring her to have the baby aborted. No one has even asked who these people are. Seriously.