Politics

I’m less sure than most that overt religiosity in the libs will be a major electoral negative for them.

Most people are very consistent with who they vote for, from year to year. That’s why even in the most ‘landslide’ of elections, the two-party-preferred vote split tends to be something like 56-44 at the most extreme. If the nature and demographic of a party’s candidates change slowly enough, then I think the voters will mostly not get too stressed about this sort of stuff. Or the counterpoint is that if you get them to hate the opposition enough, they’ll hold their nose and vote for you regardless.

Everyone talks about ‘swinging voters’ as being vital to the outcome of every election, which they are, but they’re a pretty small proportion of the population.

And it’s amazing how the political orthodoxy within a party or within a political system (the ol’ Overton window) can shift over time. I’m old enough to remember when Howard lost govt decisively (and lost his own seat) largely because his government wasn’t doing enough on climate change, but now his party is in power and its climate policy is being driven by the tinfoil hat ‘there’s no evidence that climate change is happening, and if there is, it’s a hoax by Tim Flannery and Al Gore, and if it isn’t, climate change is natural, and if it isn’t, there’s nothihng we can do about it, and if there is, doing anythign about it is too expensive’ brigade. Unthinkable even in Howard’s day. And I’m sure that BF could tell you all about how some orthodoxies within the pre-Hawke/Keating ALP (tariffs, nationalisation, etc etc) would be unthinkable in today’s parliamentary Labor party.

One of the things that changes LEAST in politics is the adherence of most people to their preferred political party.

Edit: furthermore, in a landslide election loss, it’s the members of your party in the most marginal seats who get kicked out. Marginal seats tend to the more moderate or mixed ones, so generally don’t have extreme candidates who might put people off. The safe seats are the ones where the extremists live because they have a more homogeneous voter base, and even in a landslide, the MPs tend to hang on. So what that means is that after a landslide loss, the more extreme people tend to bhe the only ones left, so they fill all the leadership and shadow ministry slots in the new opposition. Which tends to mean the political debate for the next term is shaped by the extreme side of the party.

2 Likes

I’ve voted Liberal a lot more than Labor over the years. I won’t be voting for them (or Labor or Greens) in the state election or federal.

Very safe Liberal electorate though.

And the religion bit is about 75% of the reason. If you count the right-wingers as being religious.

If there’s one thing people aren’t good at doing it’s admitting they’re wrong about something. Something people are also good at is tribalism. Combine those two things with politics and you have a lot of people doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

3 Likes

Just becuase most elections end up relatively close doesn’t mean there isn’t big changes in voting. Every two elections or 8 years is a lot of people dieing and a lot of kids voting for the first time.

It’s a cleche that people start of progressive and then turn conservative buts it’s also true. The religious nutters are going to hurt this. A moderatly progressive 30 something that now owns a house and has kids was prime fodder for Howard to turn during his leadership. They are going to be much harder to sway for far right nonsense.

The coalition doesn’t do well on the youth which means they must convert them later. It happens regularly enough that voting patterns don’t show it. But the current events could change it. Does a 30 yo who has supported marriage equality really vote for people who want gay conversion therapy?

1 Like

Probably. If they get charm offended with half truths about tax reform and pure bullshit about the economy until they forget about the 15 other things they don’t agree with that barely gets a mention at the right time.

3 Likes

Most voters are morons which probably partially explains why there are so many incompetent self servings tossers serving as MPs

2 Likes

Well anyone who doesnt vote like me is a dead-set moron, but are there really any MP’s who are incompetent, self-serving tossers.

I know some who are incompetent. but they rarely do more than one term.
I know some who are definitely self-serving, and know how to lick enough bums to survive more than one term.
I know one or maybe two that are tossers., meaning that are obnoxious in most ways and they last siometimes forever, or it seems that way.

But don’t thing there are any that are all three.

Barnaby says hi.

4 Likes

As does Abbott

4 Likes

Bacchus keeps sticking up for pollies. Not sure anyone is buying it though.

1 Like

Good choice as an example.

• Hardly incompetent; he rose to be Deputy PM, Leader of Nats and a long term MP.
  • Self-serving; arguable. Highly opinionated, very vocal but not sure it was all about him.
  • Tossa; no farking doubt that he is a gigantic tossa. About the most obnoxious bloke you ever would meet. Though the girls in his office were always an eyeful.

You get that one thing doesn’t necessarily negate the other here, right?

Getting to the top might just mean he was the bigger sociopath. &/or the better bare faced bullshitter, … not that he wasn’t incompetent.

The shifting of the multi million dollar whatever it was facility into his own electorate to secure his position at a totally unnecessary huge cost to the Tax payers slipped by you did it?

I said it is arguable Mr Devil.

You can argue that this is the case of a Local Member doing his job for his Local Constituency.

Well, yeah, you could, I s’pose, … but it wouldn’t hold any fkn water on that one.

1 Like

Again not sure that Barnaby is a sociopath; very capable bullshitter. Maybe I have a lower standard of what is competent that you. No doubt he is quite weird, I had the “pleasure” of meeting with him in his Canberra office and it was very weird.

1 Like

Actually suspect we’re just talking about different things he is/was competent at.

Definitely competent at looking after himself, and knifing climbing his way to the top of a pile of arsehols, … :smirk:

Drive down the back road that goes from Diggers Rest to Bacchus Marsh.

Country road that has a section about 2 or 3 kms long that has beautiful channel and kerb, much like a street in Toorak.

Property along there was once owned by a Liberal Party Government Minister, no that is definitely self- serving.

Lol I know that spot. Always wondered why it was like that. I’m pretty sure there’s NBN there too.

Yeah strong agree on this one. You don’t get to be a leader or C-level exec or commander or whatever of anything without always looking out for numero uno and being “ruthless” (ie a c-bomb)

1 Like