Politics

Oh, I hear ya.

I lived through the Alan Brown (AKA The Development King) era down this way.

1 Like

NBN !

Didn’t think it got that far, but the Marsh was one of the first to get it and we got fibre right into the house, it is very good !

The fundamental problem is that the skills required to get into a position of power in politics are not the same skills required to be good at governing once you’re there.

(And this is true for all forms of gOvt, not just parliamentary democracy by the way)

5 Likes

I caught a bit of Joyce going in a diatribe today in question time for the 500th time about “coal good, renewables the devil, coalition means lower prices, labor means high prices and death”. Fair dinkum sounds like he’s selling something at the county fair. Has the snake oil salesman voice and everything. “Roll up folks. Roll right up!”

The problem with all politics is this;

3 Likes

I suspect Bacchus is talking about competence in terms of how good they are at doing their job. In the case of most right wingers, that’s being a prick.

1 Like

That is a very good comment.

I know some very clever political operators that failed badly as Ministers. If you go back all the way to 1972, Gough had some great people in Caucus but not enough competent at managing a Country.

And remember John Cains Goverment back in the 1980’s; severe lack of frontbencher talent and not a great deal of honesty and integrity either.

That said, no doubt in my experience that the current Federal Labor Caucus is the most talented ever. Hope they get the chance to prove me correct.

Spot on.

I once had a rugby trainer, would have been in his 70s at the time, long term Labor member and former CPA member.

He described communism as “The most effective method of revolution and least effective form of government known to man kind”.

I think he was generally correct.

Did he say effective or efficient ? Because in many ways Communism is very effective, but as it (in its purest form) tries to be equal to all, then it is not very efficient, and indeed is very wasteful of most resources.

I always liked the saying “In theory, this should work. But then again, so should communism” when talking about something that you hope will work, but secretly expect to fail dismally.

Effective.

But I guess it’s all subjective. If a uni student at the pub tells me it’s effective I’d surgically dismantle their argument and humiliate them to the point that they abandon their politics degree and take up meth.

If Putin told me that Communism was effective I’d agree wholeheartedly and express my admiration for his highly successful, fair and pleasant country.

1 Like

Yeah. I espouse my “kill the rich” solution for every single problem to anyone who will listen, but will change the subject if anyone asks what happens after that.

Immediately after, or do you detail the subsequent and related plan to provide lower income people with a cheap, high protein diet?

1 Like

Surely you are familiar with pressed meats.

What people on here do in the privacy of their own budoir is of no concern to me.

(Pics or GTFO)

I’m an ideas man. I don’t deal in details.

Let’s cut all the Polly bullshit, when labour lost power the debt was 274 billion it is now 572 billion gross debt.

1 Like

That’s pretty fukn funny. Well played.

1 Like

So the tax cuts rests on Pauline vote

FMD

Flat rate income tax, increase tax free threshold, increase GST.

Done. Next