Poll : Who will get the Upgrade Nod for TBC?

Glass half full, gang.

Besides, remember the Final where they didn't pick Bellcho and ran with NatRat? Oh, that's right, we got FLOGGED.

Glass half full, gang.

Besides, remember the Final where they didn't pick Bellcho and ran with NatRat? Oh, that's right, we got FLOGGED.

I'm still trying to get over the final we didn't go with saltbush.

Glass half full, gang.

I'm still trying to get over the final we didn't go with saltbush.
That was a horrible GF, at least we won the reserves flag.

Really we only need Ryder to hold together till round 10, after that we should be ok to start resting ruckman as the sub. But until belly comes back we may need to use the rookie upgrade to get us through.

Glass half full, gang.

I hate to break it to you, but the odds were we were going to get flogged anyway. Trying something different wasn't that bad an idea. Adelaide were a much better side without the injuries we had, and at home.

Why consider Dell for the small forward role just now? Let’s see what Orazio’s got! Jay Kennedy-Harris, looked alright first time up.

Just putting it out there, we know the forward coach likes him, and if he’s in the mix, he would get preference given he’s already on the senior list and the ruckman/3rd tall is what we actually need the upgrade to cover in Belly’s absence.

Glass half full, gang.

Matthew knights specialty
Re Ryder, I'm more worried about him getting suspended, he's got carry over points I'm pretty sure?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rookie_list_(Australian_Football_League)

Generally speaking, a rookie-listed player cannot be selected to play in the senior AFL competition, and must play in state-level affiliated teams, except in two circumstances:

• At the start of a season, a club can nominate up to two veterans from its senior list for salary cap reasons; if a team does not have a full quota of veterans, it can make up the balance by nominating rookies to be eligible for senior selection. These players are known as nominated rookies.
  • If a senior-listed player is moved onto the long-term injury list, a rookie-listed player can be temporarily elevated in his place, becoming eligible for senior selection, while the senior player remains injured.

There are usually plenty of opportunities to enact either of these rules, so rookie-listed players who are playing well enough for senior selection are seldom deprived of the opportunity by list management constraints.

I found this on Wikipedia and was wondering - with Hille no longer on the list, doesn't that make Fletcher our only veteran? And if so, don't we get a "nominated rookie" PLUS a replacement for Bellchambers?

Or am I reading this wrong?

We’ve got 40 on the main list so we must have 2 veterans.

Isn’t Chappy a veteran?

Those aren't the veteran rules any more. Any player is eligible for the veteran's list if they've been at the club for ten years. Watson, Stanton, Winderlich, Fletcher would all be veterans this year, I think.

Those aren't the veteran rules any more. Any player is eligible for the veteran's list if they've been at the club for ten years. Watson, Stanton, Winderlich, Fletcher would all be veterans this year, I think.

Correct - all 4 are listed as veterans on the 2014 Record that I have.

Yep, the two ways onto the main list are now a single upgrade midseason and if a player goes on the LTI list.

Yep, the two ways onto the main list are now a single upgrade midseason and if a player goes on the LTI list.

Or a main list retirement?

Terrible for Browne but two spots opened up now.

Opportunity knocking for the rookies if they good enough.

Liked Stein B's endeavour last night. But i wonder whether he lacks the zip over the 1st 5 metres that he needs.

Might be case of adjusting to the pace of senior footy. Hope he gets another crack next week.

Thurlow is a monty. Think about it. If in TBC's absence Daniher would be forced to play the support role, surely they would have had him contest at least a few bounces last night. The fact that they didn't, makes me think that Thurlow will not only be elevated but is a huge chance for round 1.

I've got to say Thurlow almost took 2-3 really good grabs presenting up on the wings which he may well have taken in less ■■■■■■ conditions (in addition to the marks he did take) and he seemed to have good second/third efforts at ground level so if he was upgraded I could definitely see him playing Belly's role of forward/ruck. Obviously he wouldn't be as good as Belly, but if he continues that form over the preseason he certainly wouldn't be a liability.

Thurlow is a monty. Think about it. If in TBC's absence Daniher would be forced to play the support role, surely they would have had him contest at least a few bounces last night. The fact that they didn't, makes me think that Thurlow will not only be elevated but is a huge chance for round 1.

Yep agree, Bomba was also very positive about him in the post match waffle.  Thurlow in training looks like a fairly accurate kick over medium distance and a solid mark.  Whilst not a star yet he has all around decent skills that are a good base to work with.

I remember David Hille's early games and he was atrocious, a rabbit in the headlights but he eventually came good.  Thurlow is simllar in style but way ahead in comparison.

Only positive in Browne going down is we can promote a forward and only upgrade Thurlow if desperately required.