Possible Career Change: Not Really Considering Real Estate So Much

Not sure exactly what to expect and not committed to it yet, just looking into career options that I could find interesting. I have a bit over 10 years in teaching, I don’t think I am cut out for it to last for too much longer, as I am getting pretty disillusioned with the profession now. Wondering about getting into real estate, not sure what part or what I would need to do to get into it. I am assuming I will need to do some sort of course. Any help or advice will be welcome.

Coffee’s for closers.

I have done some work with real estate agents. Most of them incredibly great people to deal with. However, and I've told them this to their face, I would never, ever, ever work in that industry. It's just so intense. I understand why they love it, because it appeals to a certain personality type (hyper motivated), but it doesn't appeal to me.
bullshit, stage managing demetriou's cockups is way more work than a real estate agent has ever done.

Scary thing is this one is from four decades ago, in a more innocent time.

If you want to become a pathological liar and generally a really terrible human being, then real estate is the career for you.

Ask nickyd

I have done some work with real estate agents. Most of them incredibly great people to deal with. However, and I’ve told them this to their face, I would never, ever, ever work in that industry. It’s just so intense. I understand why they love it, because it appeals to a certain personality type (hyper motivated), but it doesn’t appeal to me.

If you like the idea of sales, there’s other things that are pretty fun to sell.

I know people that have sold pharmaceuticals, high end medical equipment and surgical implants.

However I can understand the attraction to real estate.

Glengarry Glen Ross

ripping film.

Do you like being a ■■■■? Do you like earning 2.5% for wearing a suit and parking a BMW out the front? If yes then real estate is for you.

I am not too keen on too much intensity, (plenty in teaching around report time etc.) been in sales a while getting through my studies. Kind of hoping that real estate may be less salesy and more interesting than department store work. Not sure about pharmaceuticals and high end medical eq and surgical implants, though my previous neighbour was selling pharmaceuticals. The neighbour on the other side is a radiologist. He could have some advice.

Nothing wrong with real estate sales. You need to do a Course and get a Licences otherwise you cannot sell anything. Go to a Local Real Estate office and tell them you want to get into the business and they will give you advice, as you need to have a job to do the course.

Have a son who sells new house at an estate in Craigieburn. Long hours and much weekend work, but he will make over $100 K this year, and more onvce he gets established. He seems to like it, better than selling phones.

Have an ex-wife who has a Property Management business in Toorak. Worth a fortune and seems to enjoy that as well.

I was a tech school teacher a long time ago and didn’t like it much and got into sales, and gave not looked back.

Mb, I work with real estate agents in my business network so if you want detail pm me.

But as a start there are good and bad operators like any industry . Some are not organised and run their teams like sales reps which can lead to an unstructured environment, which would differ from teaching.

The other question is pay, after 10 years teaching you would have to take a haircut, with mostly a commission based structure , with minimum targets needed

Not sure exactly what to expect and not committed to it yet, just looking into career options that I could find interesting. I have a bit over 10 years in teaching, I don't think I am cut out for it to last for too much longer, as I am getting pretty disillusioned with the profession now. Wondering about getting into real estate, not sure what part or what I would need to do to get into it. I am assuming I will need to do some sort of course. Any help or advice will be welcome.
Teaching hasn't made you hate yourself that much, surely?
Not sure exactly what to expect and not committed to it yet, just looking into career options that I could find interesting. I have a bit over 10 years in teaching, I don't think I am cut out for it to last for too much longer, as I am getting pretty disillusioned with the profession now. Wondering about getting into real estate, not sure what part or what I would need to do to get into it. I am assuming I will need to do some sort of course. Any help or advice will be welcome.
Teaching hasn't made you hate yourself that much, surely?

It can have that effect or lead you to drink lots.

I liked the kids but hated the system and the parents. This was in 1970’s and I bet it has not changed much. Back then we had job security and more holidays, and I could even smack the kids if I wanted. I still found it soul destroying.

Real estate is a very demanding profession full of highly ambitious and motivated people. It is hyper-competitive with long hours, including plenty of weekend work. I’d be mindful of that before diving in. Those who make a go of it typically make plenty of cash, but the industry churns through plenty of people too who aren’t as successful. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Lot of food for thought, and Dill you probably know me too well. And Bacchusfox, I think it has probably gotten worse from the 70’s I remember one of my teachers from the late 80’s said that by the time I contacted him in the mid 2000’s that he thought the best time for teaching was around the time of the late 80’s and that at the time of our correspondence that it was nowhere near as much fun.

I was an agent for 8 years so I have one question…

Do you have young children?

Yep one, a son turning three tomorrow. I am a little concerned about weekend work and perhaps a bit of the long hours. I have been doing long hours teaching as well as taking my work home with me and I am sort of looking at avoiding this a bit.

My wife wants me to have another crack at getting into train driving but I have tried previously and the thought of really early hours and weekend work does not do much for me not to mention the stres, but when one of my Brother’s in Law does it and earns around 100k it is somewhat interesting. Money is not so motivating for me but I don’t want to be poor either.