Possible Career Change: Not Really Considering Real Estate So Much

I’m in a similar boat MB, tho probably early on in my career, but more or less same position in wanting a change. I have fully completed a Bachelor of Accounting degree (or Business, whatever its called) and now working in Auditing, and must say, I f*cking hate it. Doing about min 50+ hour work weeks, usually about 60 hour work weeks if I take my work laptop home, and find myself constantly worrying about work. Constant deadline pressure from partners and that’s not including the travelling etc around other times of the year (of which I don’t get paid any extra for I might add). I’d like to work in Business, but not exactly sure where, just preferably somewhere that’s not gonna do my head in. Anyone got any good job suggestions in the business field?

I think your overall happiness is more vital than money, MB. If you find a job you like doing with decent pay, definitley go for it. Your mental health is not worth the hours, and hours lost with your loved ones.

Yep I had some pretty dark times a few years back. That was when I first thought about train driving and sat (and failed) a test for it.

For peace of mind in a working life, you can’t beat working for yourself & being beholden to nobody … except the clients of course.

One of the best recommendations for becoming a tradie for example & getting out on your own once qualified.

Yep one, a son turning three tomorrow. I am a little concerned about weekend work and perhaps a bit of the long hours. I have been doing long hours teaching as well as taking my work home with me and I am sort of looking at avoiding this a bit.

My wife wants me to have another crack at getting into train driving but I have tried previously and the thought of really early hours and weekend work does not do much for me not to mention the stres, but when one of my Brother’s in Law does it and earns around 100k it is somewhat interesting. Money is not so motivating for me but I don’t want to be poor either.

Firstly happy birthday to Mad junior

Secondly Real Estate is not for you

Now the search has changed and who knows where it will go.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Is there a more vain business than real estate?

I’ve seen a lot of signs which are 80% agent’s dial, 20% important stuff like the actual property.

Reckon most properties get sold in-spite of the agent, not due to them.

Have you thought about a career in the public service? Good pay and conditions and ability to balance work/life. Now with the hiring freeze lifted you should look at the APS gazette.

Friend of mine recently got out of real estate. Just said getting harder and harder as new websites disrupt the traditional model. Like Uber and AirBnb changed their industries, the provider is now able to sell direct to the customer without the middle-man. And real estate agents always work weekends. It’s when most buyers are able to do open homes.

I'm in a similar boat MB, tho probably early on in my career, but more or less same position in wanting a change. I have fully completed a Bachelor of Accounting degree (or Business, whatever its called) and now working in Auditing, and must say, I f*cking hate it. Doing about min 50+ hour work weeks, usually about 60 hour work weeks if I take my work laptop home, and find myself constantly worrying about work. Constant deadline pressure from partners and that's not including the travelling etc around other times of the year (of which I don't get paid any extra for I might add). I'd like to work in Business, but not exactly sure where, just preferably somewhere that's not gonna do my head in. Anyone got any good job suggestions in the business field?

I think your overall happiness is more vital than money, MB. If you find a job you like doing with decent pay, definitley go for it. Your mental health is not worth the hours, and hours lost with your loved ones.

Depending how much money you are on, there may be a role at my (soon to be former) employer.

What’s a typical commission paid to real estate agents in this market?

Ive been teaching for 5 years and reckon I am nearing the end of my tether… Every year they want to implement something new when they haven’t fully implemented the previous concept smoothly… Just “Here is what we want to see happen… Now do it…”

Dont forget the double handling of data!

Thanks Heffsgirl, I did go for the public service test about 20 years ago, was pretty sick before it. Needless to say I missed it. I think I was about 17 or 18 when I sat it.

What industry is it Ross?

Thanks Heffsgirl, I did go for the public service test about 20 years ago, was pretty sick before it. Needless to say I missed it. I think I was about 17 or 18 when I sat it.

What industry is it Ross?

No more PS test but you do have to address selection criteria. A tedious experience if even there was one.

Same deal with teaching jobs.

Train drivers get more than tram drivers. Must be a prestige thing, pretty obvious which job requires more constant attention.

Train drivers get more than tram drivers. Must be a prestige thing, pretty obvious which job requires more constant attention.

Bus and taxi drivers must be on around $500,000 + super **** then.

Someone told me yesterday that train drivers were on $100k and were trying to have this upped to $140k. Seems like good money.

They’re trying to avoid 12 hour notification of shifts with possibly as little as 6 hours interval. That’s what is being suggested - might clock off at 6pm before finding out you’re shift the next day has been pushed back, or forward, 5 hours).
Money’s not the primary issue ( it’s always going to be an issue).
Crazy, crazy idea to start with.

What's a typical commission paid to real estate agents in this market?
I asked an agent once what his commission was going to be and he said "how much you got"
Someone told me yesterday that train drivers were on $100k and were trying to have this upped to $140k. Seems like good money.

They’re trying to avoid 12 hour notification of shifts with possibly as little as 6 hours interval. That’s what is being suggested - might clock off at 6pm before finding out you’re shift the next day has been pushed back, or forward, 5 hours).
Money’s not the primary issue ( it’s always going to be an issue).
Crazy, crazy idea to start with.

not to mention they’re not guaranteed to finish at the same station they started at. Could start in Lilydale, finish in Werribee. “oh but they can get the train back”. Not if they’re driving the last train! and the wages quoted in the press are usually inflated with overtime etc - the base wage is quite a bit lower.

Train driving’s one of those jobs that’s about 1000x more complicated than you’d think though, isn’t it?