Possible Career Change: Not Really Considering Real Estate So Much

Someone told me yesterday that train drivers were on $100k and were trying to have this upped to $140k. Seems like good money.

Train driving’s one of those jobs that’s about 1000x more complicated than you’d think though, isn’t it?

I dunno.

1000 x 0 don’t sound too complicated

Saw a doco on how the drivers for Japan Rail are ‘retrained’ if they make a mistake. You don’t want to make a mistake if you work for Japan Rail.

speaking of career and role changes, has anyone engaged the services of a professional resume writer? I’ve been editing the same old resume for years now and sometimes it’s difficult to objectively cull stuff from it. thought it may be time for a helping hand from an outsider.

Just wipe it all and start over, without referring to the old one at all.
Only once you’re done have a quick look at the old one, to check if there’s anything major you’ve missed.

that sounds like waaaayyy too much effort, but yeah probably should.

speaking of career and role changes, has anyone engaged the services of a professional resume writer? I've been editing the same old resume for years now and sometimes it's difficult to objectively cull stuff from it. thought it may be time for a helping hand from an outsider.
I did when I finished Uni. Went from getting nothing to getting interviews.

Main thing she did was switch the focus from what I had done to what my skills were using what I had done as proof (if that makes sense)

speaking of career and role changes, has anyone engaged the services of a professional resume writer? I've been editing the same old resume for years now and sometimes it's difficult to objectively cull stuff from it. thought it may be time for a helping hand from an outsider.
I did when I finished Uni. Went from getting nothing to getting interviews.

Main thing she did was switch the focus from what I had done to what my skills were using what I had done as proof (if that makes sense)

yeah that’s what I was hoping for, that they could tailor the language of it. thanks megz.

My resume looks like a 15 year old did it. Because I was 15 when I did it.

…should probably get that looked at.

want me to hook up a double appointment dev?

Train driver roles have some pretty high stress levels apparently. There are far more people killed by trains (Suicide or otherwise) than people realise. Bugger being the driver of a train in that sense. Metro have a pretty significant counselling service from what I hear.

Double appointment? I’m still unsure if we’re different people or not. Might be unnecessary.

Double appointment? I’m still unsure if we’re different people or not. Might be unnecessary.

i have nothing more to add to this conversation.

Lol. Pythonesque.

If you want to change jobs / roles I always recommend doing some volunteer work. It doesn’t really matter what you do but you get to meet some really interesting people and get some in sights into industries you didn’t even know existed. The best way to get a new job is through networking not applying through Seek and responding to ads.

I’m changing jobs. Ditching my current role and going into the family business which means less Blitz for me (and they all rejoiced). Current boss is spewing and offered more money but I just reminded him I wasn’t always this angry (shock horror)

Looking forward to it to be honest. Was scared at first because me being the typical accountant prefers to be safe and secure and earning X amount rather than take a risk to earn X + X.

Point is, take the risk and hopefully it pays off. But have a back up plan and never burn bridges (unless it’s HR)