Here is my effort based on what I consider are our best 22 with a bias towards pace.
B: Adam Saad, Michael Hurley, Martin Gleeson
HB: Conor McKenna, Cale Hooker, Brendon Goddard
C: David Zaharakis, Darcy Parish, Andrew McGrath
R: Tom Bellchambers, Dyson Heppell, Zach Merrett
HF: Jake Stringer, Joe Daniher, Josh Green
F: Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, James Stewart, Orazio Fantasia
INT: Devon Smith, Kyle Langford, Josh Begley, Travis Colyer
Emerg: Laverde, Ambrose, Mutch
I found it really helpful to make the below list putting the players into groups:
- Goddard (utillity)
- Hooker (or forward)
Lock Forwards (mid rotations = MR)
- Smith (MR who could start in the guts)
- Fantasia (MR)
- Walla (MR)
- Stringer (MR)
Current best 22 players who could be challenged.
- Gleeson - 3rd tall Defender/Utility
- Stewart - FF or 3rd tall forward
Borderline best 22 players whose form will define their fate more quickly than the above.
- Langford MR - 3rd Tall
- Begley MR - could play tall or small forward.
- Green - Small defensive forward
- Colyer - MR could play role forward or back (including run with role).
Players who could find their way into the best 22 when in form, and are obvious depth at the moment
- Laverde - competing with Begley and Langfod
- Ambrose - Competing with Gleeson
- Hartley - Competing with Hooker/Gleeson depending on match ups.
- Baguley- If Saad can’t lock down a small forward.
- Myers - if we are getting pushed aside …
- Francis - Hoping he finds some form and fitness as a third tall back or forward.
- Brown - Hoping he can do well and so could share forward and back rotations with Francis.
- Mutch - Is the type of player we need more of in high quality, thinking will come on this pre-season
- Leuenberger - Good for TBC to have quality back up.
Useful depth players who would have to do a bit more than shown so far to be best 22.
- Dea - perhaps a little unfair on Dea, but just wasn’t looking best 22 in 2017.
- Ridley - should be out of this group sooner rather than later.
- Bird - As Jobe’s replacement in the absence of Jobe. he may be needed, but I think we are stronger than we realise.
- McKernan - Still good back up for the back up.
- McNeice - was looking like maybe taking small defender role, but a serious neck injury set him back, hoping he recovers well.
- Draper - has already surprised, has dominated at VFL level, what is he going to be like with a full pre-season!
- Howlett - could be one of our minimum of 2 delistees - I like Benny, he is a solid player who might stay without the mandatory delisting requirements to make way for 3 draftees /upgrades. Unfortunately there is more potential upside in other players.
Players who could be called upon for depth if they make solid developmental progress, or devastating injuries take place.
- Clarke - flying under the radar, hopefully he emerges more this year.
- Redman - mainly needs physical development - then there will be no-arguing.
- Morgan (I think his pace and late season form keep his place)
- Long (On thin ice, last chance 1 year contract at best)
- Jerrett (The ice is cracking)
No expectation / free hit
- Lavender - If all our rucks are fit then we could have Leuey, Draper, Smack and Lavender in the VFL side. Give our new Lav is raw and hasn’t played senior football or elite junior football, he might start a grade down from VFL.