Post-draft Best 22

The midfield is going to be the most interesting part. You’d have to think the main unit of players there will be Heppell, Zerrett, Parish and Zaka with McGrath, Smith, Stringer, Raz, BJ and Walla all moving through. Perhaps Saad and McKenna at times. Langford, Colyer, Begley and Laverde are all interesting pieces of the puzzle. Really need Parish and Langford to evolve into the inside roles well. Is Myers done? Hopefully not.

It’s a classy looking group. Needs a fair bit of development in roles though and hopefully most of that happens pre-season or this place is going to be unbearable at times.

I reckon with Hartley part of the issue was to do with being asked to play a more attacking role but I think the bigger issue could be mental. Last year he was basically guaranteed a spot for the whole year.
This year he was dropped early. He played his best footy when Ambrose was out injured and his position was safe again for a while. Then he faded again once Ambrose was available.
They need to somehow get inside his head and get him to play all the time like he feels like he’s a permanent fixture in the team

3 Likes

Hookmark it!

3 Likes

In 2017 Ambrose won more frees and gave away far less frees in front of goal than Hartley.

Hartley tends to lose contact with mobile forwards and gives away frees by holding which he does to prevent losing contact. The area where Hartley excels is in spoils in contests against less mobile talls…

Ambrose keeps up with mobile opponents ( except Buddy, unfortunately) and is often able to successfully put pressure on their body during marking contests without chopping arms or holding.

That was 2017. Lets see how the pre-season goes.

1 Like

Bags Ambrose Gleeson
Saad Hurley McKenna

Zaka Hepp McGrath
Bellchambers Langford Merrett

Smith JD Fantasia
walla Hooker Stewart

Bench: Goddard - Colyer - Stringer - Parish

Hooker ain’t going back anytime soon imo
BJ’s my seventh defender/utility off the bench
Backing in bags, who releases saad, who in turn releases McCROWN
Plenty of mid depth/rotations with smith, fanta, walla, STRING, parish, bj, colyer
Backing in THE LANGFORD

2 Likes

Most KPDs can be made to look ordinary when the ball is flying out of the stoppages and being delivered by opposition players with enough space & time to steady and kick to a target.

Defenders like Harts and Ambrose will look a shedload better if we can improve the clearances and defensive pressure from our midfield.

4 Likes

Perceptive comment. A lot of players will only step up when they perceive there is no one else’s shadow they are standing in.

Hartley did seem to lack confidence this year, but Hurley is a supportive presence, so hopefully he can improve and balance defence and offence.

1 Like

The thing with Hartley, is he’s an ok reader of the ball and has long arms for the mark/spoil. But this year he seemed to get fixated on his opponent. He’d take his eyes off the ball, hold the player, and bingo he was done - either by a mark or a free kick. If he concentrated on the ball I think he would do a lot better.

That said, he also had plenty of perfectly serviceable games. Hurley was pretty rubbish this year actually one on one as well, so @dons23 's point about entry into the defense is pertinent.

2 Likes

Best 22 according to FoxFooty.

ESSENDON
B: Adam Saad, Michael Hartley, Mark Baguley
HB: Brendon Goddard, Michael Hurley, Conor McKenna
C: Andrew McGrath, Zach Merrett, David Zaharakis
HF: Devon Smith, Joe Daniher, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti
F: Jake Stringer, Cale Hooker, Orazio Fantasia
R: Tom Bellchambers, Darcy Parish, Dyson Heppell
I/C: Travis Colyer, Kyle Langford, Martin Gleeson, Josh Begley
EMG: James Stewart, Aaron Francis, Josh Green

The three S’ — Saad, Smith and Stringer — walk straight into the Bombers’ best 22 — and rightly so. Saad, especially, is a handy acquisition, giving great support to Conor McKenna and allowing Rising Star Andrew McGrath the chance to move into the midfield more often. Michael Hartley’s excellent record over the past two years keeps Patrick Ambrose out, but watch out for Aaron Francis to make a move if he has a cracking start to 2018. James Stewart is a little unlucky, but he can blame the recruitment of Stringer for that.

Not sure I rate a best 22 that doesn’t even have Ambrose in the 25. Have they watched Essendon games?

1 Like

Yeah, they have Hartley ahead on the basis of an “excellent record” the past two years.

He had a solid first year but thought he was found out a few times this year. Having said that the ball was coming in every 30 seconds.

A backline of ambrose and hurley is way too short.

that being said, hartley won’t cover those deficiencies anyway so who cares.

2 Likes

I don’t mind it. I think Ambrose or Hartley or Brown could play depending on the opposition.
Stewart definitely in for Begley in my opinion.

3 Likes

I think Hartley can learn some new tricks. I wouldn’t write him off just yet.

2 Likes

Our last 4-6 are still average inconsistent footballers. I always look to the bench in sides and I think most that are being put up are pretty average.

We need at least consistent.

Colyer, Myers,Langford were not good enough last year. Not sure if they are magically going to be good enough in 2018.

Goddard is on that slippery age driven slope.
Point taken Ge had some good games. Will need to be managed to get say 15 good games out of him.

I’m backing the rest have upside.

Maybe a player sponsor? has more inside info on Langford. Def the one who needs to step up.

Along with some others from the list so our bench is strong.

We have traded in 3 players who are walk up best 22, we have a lot of players who will improve on last year. Offset against the players lost from the best 22 we should improve overall. Against this, we will have a more difficult draw and its no sure thing we get into the top 4.

1 Like

We have a top four list in the AFL. Not sure how much more depth you think we need.

We will be challenging for flags from next year.

1 Like

Here is the top 15 of the list as it would stand in player ratings after the trade period.
Many of these players have upside. There is definite potential improvement in the individuals, but we need defensive improvement from almost every player.

1 Like

Hurley being 323rd on the overall list, yet an All-Australian backman, highlights a deficiency in the player ratings system. Also Hooker at 378th (despite 41 goals) and McGrath at 415th (despite a rising star award).

1 Like

It’s a 2 year ranking system. For obvious reasons all three of those boys will rocket up the charts just by getting themselves on the field.

1 Like