Post-draft Best 22

When you have numerous people commenting you are going to get varying opinions.

B: Baguley Ambrose Francis
HB: Saad Hurley McKenna
C: Zaharakis Heppel McGrath
HF: Stringer Daniher Stewart
F: Tippa Hooker Fanta
R: Tbell Zerret Parish
Int: Goddard Smith Langford Laverde
Emg: Ridley, Gleeson, Begley

1 Like

In the team posted previously related to Twomey’s side he has Gleeson on bench.

I’m going on his one from October.

He’s possibly changed it.

As much as i was an advocate of hooker staying forward last year I do agree this year that the team looks a lot better balanced with him at CHB now. Especially considering Stringer is not a pressure forward, 4 talls is too much in the modern game.

2 Likes

Hooker is playing fwd. Woosh (“our defensive improvement to come from up the ground”) & Dys (“he wants to be one of leagues premier fwds”) have both said it in media interviews.

Our 3 pronged tall fwd line was very effective this year, and the need for that big strong body in the clearances Stringer will be in starting midfield rotations.

And I expect he will play/rest fwd when one of our talls is either benched or pinch hitting in the ruck, so that we can maintain our structure & potentially get a mismatch as well.

5 Likes

It really depends how much midfield time Stringer can play.

Also, people are considering Stewart a lock. He needs to repeat or improve his 2017 form.

Agree, i would prefer stringer as a mid as i still see us lacking there but i doubt he has the footy brain to do it full time so am expecting him to end up mostly forward.

1 Like

Auto-correct?

2 Likes

NO HE IS NOT!!!

3 Likes

The use of capitals confirms my point.

Not necessary.

YES HE IS NECESSARY!!!

oh…

4 Likes

Loved Stewart’s improvement last year but have to agree with you here. With Hooker appearing to remain in the forward line then Stewart is probably the one to make way for stringer.

Stewart will play round 1.

He did the hard yards to break into the side this season and once in continued to show improvement.

At 24 he will be approaching his peak years and you cant have a guy who’s shown lots of promise rotting away in the VFL.

1 Like

Quite right.
Why anyone would be worrying about a 24 year-old trailing off more than a 29 year-old I do not know.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_compare?playerStatus1=A&tid1=6&playerStatus2=A&tid2=6&type=A&pid1=2353&pid2=3821&fid1=S&fid2=S

1 Like

If Stewart continues to develop his marking then he can take over from Hooker in a couple of seasons.

I think he’s tracking beautifully.

1 Like

I agree. If I was running the show I’d move hooker back and free up space for JD and Stewart. However given they don’t appear to be doing that and given stringer is likely to spend a lot of time in the forward line it’s hard to see JD, hooker, stringer and Stewart fitting in.

Who do you think misses out or do you see all 4 playing?

2 Likes

I agree with the being to tall.

I’m very curious about how the coaching panel addresses this.

One advantage we do have is that both Joey and Stewart work up to the wings a lot and double back which allows a lot of space in behind. I wasn’t a fan of that medium tall (Laverde) that we had at the end of the year but Stringer is a different proposition because of what he can do at ground level as well as his flexibility in moving into midfield.

It’s a good problem to have I guess.

I don’t believe Stringer will be playing a lot of midfield minutes.
I’d like to, I really would.

You’ll never convince me that a spine of Hartley, Hurley, Daniher, Hooker is better than Hooker, Hurley, Daniher, Stewart.
Especially with Stringer in the mix up forward.
He likes to play deep and double back, so…

Anyway, we’ll see what happens.

2 Likes

One of our significant weaknesses last year was the absence of a tall, lead-up option on the wing when coming out of defence.
Especially when we were clearing under pressure, and couldn’t switch direction to a free small or mid.
We at least need someone that can halve those contests & pressure kicks to create a stoppage, if not an actual marking outlet.
Stewart doesn’t seem to have the overhead strength to do this (yet).

This is where I’ll be looking for some changed coaching strategies with Stringer, maybe Francis, giving some positional choices.