Post-draft Best 22

He’s a very handy player to have, imo.
He’s not in my best 22, but I’d expect him to play a handful of games this year.

Who’s got him best 22?

Me.

With Hooker forward, I think there are only two options for the role of tallest defender: Hartley or Brown.

And Hartley lost me in 2017.

Interesting.

I’m the number one ticket holder on the Play Hooker Back Sometimes wagon, so I’m not particularly bothered, but I certainly don’t think Hartley should be a lock.

Essendon’s 2018 season may well be defined by how well the likes of Langford, Francis, Laverde and Begley and some of the other 2nd year players like Mutch, Ridley, etc. perform.

3 Likes

I agree, especially with Laverde and Langford. They are also two players that need to step up the most if we want to contend with decent depth.

FB: Saad Hartley Ambrose
HB: McKenna Hurley Gleeson
C: Parish Heppell Zaharakis
HF: Stringer Daniher Stewart
FF: Fantasia Hooker Walla
R: TBC McGrath Merrett
Int: Smith Baguley Colyer Goddard

Next in/improvers/strong options/who the hell knows: Begley, Langford, Laverde, Francis, Myers, Redman, Ridley, Brown

I know that midfield is seen as our weakness but I feel key forward is probably where we are most vulnerable. We now have 9-10 quality midfield options but realistically we have Daniher as a stand out, Hooker still developing and Stewart… after that the cupboard is still very bare.

I honestly don’t think our Round 1 team is even close to being known right now… reckon the magnets will be spinning until 5:59pm on the Wednesday of Round 1… so pumped!

Not a lot of love these days for Baguley, not nearly enough. l haven’t done a best 22, and l doubt that l will, but he would be a certain starter for mine.

10 Likes

Absolutely. He is an absolute lock. And nothing but a major injury this year will stop that.

1 Like

A decline in form due partly to his age would probably also do it.
Woosha has had no hesitation in playing experienced guys in the magoos once he thinks they’re not up to it

The back six is dependant heavily on opposition played style.

If our midfield put tonnes of pressure on their midfield and force rushed kicks, then we can go a bit taller with Hartley, Hurley, Baguley, Gleeson, Ambrose and Saad. That six should help each other out pretty well, win the ball in the air and on the ground in a 50/50 situation.

If the defensive midfield pressure is terrible and they are all kicking to these small mobile forwards advantage, then we may need to look to a smaller backline. Something like McKenna, Hurley, Baguley, Gleeson, Saad and McNiece? I realise Ambrose can play on mid sized forwards but I see a fee teams trialling a midget forward line with one tall. Especially early on in the season.

Watched the last quarter of the norf game last night after I got home from highpoint about 3am (I hadn’t done any Xmas shopping).

Hartley does a lovely job floaty across and taking big intercept marks from a high pressing position and then booming it back in deep. He has potntial as an intercept player t
because he marks it cleaner and has bigger reach and leap than hurls.

Hurls’ body work and positioning just deserted him last year. I hope he finds it. If he does i still back him to best the no. 1 forward and rack up big numbers because he is so good on the deck and has the knack off sagging off at the right time to be an option.

Hooker is just a glorious terrifying menace in that last quarter. As a defence you’d hate to have him deep forward getting good isolation. With JD and Stewart both leading types it is a pretty awesome mix and it really shows in that quarter

1 Like

I wonder with Hurley’s quite noticeable change in physique, whether we will see a shift in the way he plays in the second half of his career. More as a pure interceptor\distributor with an increased running game than a larger-bodied shut-down key defender.

Personally I’d like to see him retain that one-on-one contested presence, and he has always had good raw contested strength even as a teenager (Hi Tredrea). I trust the club has mapped out a strategy for Mick and perhaps they see his delivery by foot off half back as something that would benefit the team if he is ‘released’ somewhat from being a minder.

1 Like

Not really seeing the forward issue.
If Daniher and Hooker were to miss a game, you’d still have a forward-line of,

Brown, Stewart, Begley
Fantasia, Stringer, Tippa

Obviously not as good, but not terrible by any means.
And that’s just one combo.

1 Like

I think he’s proved he deserves a crack. You give kids like that 3-4 weeks to prove they deserve to keep a spot.

1 Like

He did everything that was asked of him at VFL level and didn’t drop his head at all.

I personally would play him all season.

I think he’s the type that needs the confidence of playing and with some good performances he will gain confidence.

Interesting looking at that AFL website article about the player your club can least afford to lose.
Ryder tops the survey for Port and Carlisle for St Kilda.

Sack Dodoro

I personally would have Hurley above Joe.

I think we would be in trouble if we lost Hurley for the year.

Hooker would go back obviously but I think they are completely different players.

B: Baguley Hooker Gleeson
HB: Saad Hurley Mckenna
C: Zaka Heppel Mcgrath
HF: Stringer Daniher Smith
F: Tippa Stewart Fanta
R: Tbell Zerret Parish
Int: Myers Langford Colyer Goddard

6 Likes

I like it.

Good balance across the ground and useful players on the bench.