Post-game: Bombers 82 - Saints 80

Has the presser been on yet, how was hirdy, said anything insightful. Completely off subject, but I did notice he wasn’t wearing his wedding ring today, must have forgot to put it on :slight_smile:

I was thinking about what would happen before the game. I thought the Saints might play out of their skin and win. Then I thought that we might click into gear and win by 10 goals.

And then I thought, No. We’ll get the same crap that we’ve been getting for 10 years: a few touches of brilliance, a whole lot of punch-yourself-in-the-head-and-scream changers, and most of all a whole lot of half-hearted, insipid messing around at the end of which we either win or lose by less than 10 points.

And that’s exactly what we got.

Just a question. Is every member of our attack a paid up member of the Forwards Who Can’t Kick Goals club? Or have they been given honorary life membership?

We have a dumb coaching panel & a lazy playing group. Again spare players in our forward line, not manned up & those that were our free players didn’t impact the contest or get back in defence.

There was little intent around the contest and we were smashed accordingly. Armitage, Dunstan & Steven killed us there all day. Again our forwards were outnumbered most of the day by dumb coaching. Back six did well again considering the amount of ball & space their opponents had at their disposal.

Fkg miss Hocking badly.

Only positive is we won a game we didn’t really deserve to. Freo will smash us by 80pts if we bring the rubbish we’ve brought the past 2 weeks. Frustrating knowing what this team is capable of but not producing.

Jake C a great effort to bag 4 in that schmozzle of a setup.

ive hardly seen one of our forwards lead out to the ball carrier and actually take a mark. We always kick it to a pack

Belly was fantastic in the last

Dempsey was great. Was basically giving free kicks away for tackling to hard

Colyer is a gun

Saints through everything at us

Fucksticks will whinge and carry on

Big fan of Hams

Dempsey was not great, he was putrid. Stupid free kicks, missed targets and he had at least 2 kicked on him by his direct opponent.
Credit to him for coming back from his squib effort last week and going in hard but he did it with no thought whatsoever.

And wtf is the point of winning a hitout for no reason. belchos a pretty ordinary tap ruckman imo

What upset me is that we let them play like that. We continually have them space in the forward line. We continually gave them uncontested possessions coming out of their back line. We failed to put a body on Bruce in about six marking contests. At no point did it feel like we were controlling the game, it was end to end and we looked like amateur hour.

I don’t mind the ones against poor opposition where you dominate and lose (a la most of the times we’ve lost to Melbourne recently), but they were actually the better team today and it was only luck and some crappy efforts by shneider and Lonie that saved us.

checks hair

So frustrating.

Worst style of footy I have ever seen. It just doesn’t work.

Rubbish.

Why has Baguley been taken out of back pocket???

Another ugly win.

And wtf is the point of winning a hitout for no reason. belchos a pretty ordinary tap ruckman imo

Very ordinary player at the minute.

Absolutely no idea about how to tap too advantage or a player though your right, except Saints players today.

Mind you in the 3rd the umps were bouncing the ball to Saints ruckman

Colyer is a gun

Big fan of Hams

Dempsey was not great, he was putrid. Stupid free kicks, missed targets and he had at least 2 kicked on him by his direct opponent.
Credit to him for coming back from his squib effort last week and going in hard but he did it with no thought whatsoever.

Wow dude, your blind hatred is almost as bad as my blind bias

If I see another person say “Take the four points and move on.”, my brain will implode. We’ve been putting in performances like these for an eternity and we still think that things will magically improve.

If you go by the hawks/syd games as thats our benchmark for 100% output intensity etc.

Like i said in the match thread we went at about 80% the whole match, while the saints went at varying levels between 85 -70 % of their 100% output.

Thats all it really is, that and tactically the saints played a chipping game that exploits the way we set up defensively.

The rest is was just run of the mill stuff, no where near some of the claims and reactions that were in there, the carkton game was at least 3 times as worse as todays effort.

But its the same old chestnut, it you pick and choose when you decide to put in 100% , then you’re always going to be vulnerable in games like this , and also vulnerable to not being able to change the mentality during the game , collingwood game as an exeample.

The season so far across the board has shown pretty much any team, maybe bar the bottom 4 can match any team on any day , if they bring 100 % intensity and effort.

Ehich is why i continue to say that those two things should be the biggest contributing factor in how we rate our games. If we get to a stage where we can being 90-100 effort week in week out, the wina will take care of themselves.

Until you acknowledge and learn to do that though, we will contine to be the current version of what we are.

Accurate post. Must bring 100% intensity which is only mindset.

We are on the ropes right now, and gotta find a way to get off and that is through counter attack, grit, flare, effort, taking the game on, running, hardness, head over the ball, running, attack oh did I say running.

Can any team put in 100% effort for 22 games ? I dont think so. They will burn out at round 16-18; players will get injured, or be susceptible to injury.
I cant help thinking that this fact is in the back of players minds. They try to “pace themselves” for the long run. Each game is a battle in the war.

Embarrassing performance. Season may turn ugly with Freo and norf to come

Spot on.

just look at the Brisbane post game from last season. Cut and paste all the comments here.

We are just so S-L-O-O-O-O-O-W.

Except for Colyer anyway.

Common potatoes were all saying how fast this game was.
Lots of people critical of Essendon players, not giving the Saints enough credit.

Colyer is a gun

Big fan of Hams

Wow dude, your blind hatred is almost as bad as my blind bias

Watch it again, he was rubbish. Horrid kick across the back line that set up Zaka from memory and cost us a goal. Horrid miss of Ambrose that went up the other end and cost us a goal. Billings led him to the same pocket twice within 2 minutes and cost us 2 goals (1 passed off).
If he’s going to play that loose he has to be on a wing, otherwise his opponent roams free in the forward 50.

They just spread from the contest so much better than we did. We get congested all the time and shoot bullet handballs at each other flat-footed from a metre away. This works as keepings off for about 3 seconds and then comes unstuck. Clear the area and fire out a longer handball to a player running away from the pack. It doesn’t matter what direction. Seriously, the opposition just have to run at these stationary guys, knowing that they’re gonna receive the ball any second.

Only single positive out of that is the fkn butt hurt our win caused saints fans and opposition fans who wanted st kilda to win so badly.