Post Match Thread: Ess v Port

Try Pears forward - surely he couldn't be worse than Steinberg or Hardingham.

Trouble is he has real currency as a back up defender. We are not over endowed with key backs, and if one goes down, even though he's a bit short for it, he would definitely be our no 1 option to fill the gap. He'll be a real dilemma if he get's all his mojo back.

A good dilemma to have

Pretty average game. Though these guys were 'professional footballers'. Couldn't kick over a tin half of them.

Crowd was ■■■■. Spent the first half a row in front of this NQR pair who seemed to know more about coaching (and playing) than anyone in an official capacity. When Merrett I think it was, soccered the ball out deliberately they spent 3 minutes arguing with each other about how 'he should have picked up the ball'.. Moved around to the wing at half time. Was one port fan there yelling out 4 year old stuff like 'HE DOESN'T WANT IT! BALL' and assorted rubbish. I've never wanted to punch someone in the face like that at a league match ffs.

I can see myself at Noonans age (80yrs) not being able to attend games due to rage issues. Instead watching it on the tele whilst vilifying Henrietta O'Brien commentating and throwing my colostomy bag against the wall.

Football is rubbish.

Pretty average game. Though these guys were 'professional footballers'. Couldn't kick over a tin half of them.
Crowd was ****. Spent the first half a row in front of this NQR pair who seemed to know more about coaching (and playing) than anyone in an official capacity. When Merrett I think it was, soccered the ball out deliberately they spent 3 minutes arguing with each other about how 'he should have picked up the ball'.. Moved around to the wing at half time. Was one port fan there yelling out 4 year old stuff like 'HE DOESN'T WANT IT! BALL' and assorted rubbish. I've never wanted to punch someone in the face like that at a league match ffs.
I can see myself at Noonans age (80yrs) not being able to attend games due to rage issues. Instead watching it on the tele whilst vilifying Henrietta O'Brien commentating and throwing my colostomy bag against the wall.
Football is rubbish.

So, fun night then

Crowd was ****. Spent the first half a row in front of this NQR pair who seemed to know more about coaching (and playing) than anyone in an official capacity. When Merrett I think it was, soccered the ball out deliberately they spent 3 minutes arguing with each other about how 'he should have picked up the ball'.. Moved around to the wing at half time. Was one port fan there yelling out 4 year old stuff like 'HE DOESN'T WANT IT! BALL' and assorted rubbish. I've never wanted to punch someone in the face like that at a league match ffs.
Football is rubbish.

So, fun night then

Laugh riot.

Football is rubbish.

So, fun night then

Sounds like the genius's that go every week.

My favourite from when I had reserved Essendon seats was people in my area always yelling to kick it long, kick it long, all the time every time.

Then when they did that, it was always, why did you kick it there for.

Everyone should get a cattle prod at footy matches to shut up idiots.

Maybe the AFL will stop charging members to pay for meaningless practice matches. One can dream.

Crowd was ■■■■. Spent the first half a row in front of this NQR pair who seemed to know more about coaching (and playing) than anyone in an official capacity. When Merrett I think it was, soccered the ball out deliberately they spent 3 minutes arguing with each other about how 'he should have picked up the ball'.. Moved around to the wing at half time. Was one port fan there yelling out 4 year old stuff like 'HE DOESN'T WANT IT! BALL' and assorted rubbish. I've never wanted to punch someone in the face like that at a league match ffs.

Football is rubbish.

So there were other Blitzers there then?

Football is rubbish.

So there were other Blitzers there then?

Highly likely.

Football is rubbish.

And yet, we continue to attend. Masochists, all of us. 

(There's always Obituary's, Cause of Death for the trip home.)

We won quite a few games on emotion last year, particularly interstate, long year coming up.

Zerrett came on after half time. Within the first 50 seconds he had laid 2 tackles, roved the ball from a congested stoppage and got of a dinky handball off to JD(?) who snapped a goal.

Wasn't it Jackson who was sub?

Anyway I say we play Zerrett in Round 1...he looks like he just belongs out there.

Essendon has named its final team of 26 for Tuesday night‘s match against Port Adelaide at Etihad Stadium.
Jake Carlisle, Elliott Kavanagh and Cory Dell‘Olio are out of the original 29 man squad named.
Brendon Goddard and Zach Merrett will be the starting substitute for the match.

Football is rubbish.

So much lol

Some honest, uncensored thoughts over a glass of red late at night.

Preseason so don't care about the result. All about oogling the youngsters like a filthy pedo.

From what I've seen, a little underwhelmed by the newish rookies tbh. Bar JD of course.

- J.Merrett looks silky and seems to move like a jet. Just can't get the ball in a contest.

- Kav, similar to Merrett, looks ok in space, breaking lines and running with the ball, but opposition seem to punish us going the other way when these guys are in the mid. Though had 5 tackles against GC.

NOB, another player I've really liked the look of in the past, but development seems to have stagnated. Probably being harsh, but just feel that 3rd yr players on other clubs lists look far more progressed than ours (brad hill, jed anderson, brandon ellis, sam kerridge, elliot yeo, michael talia, lachie neale, dylan buckley, devon smith, seb ross, jack newnes, - adams, greene, wingard and corniglio probably unfair to compare to given they are top 10). Then again now I look at it there are alot of names from that draft that haven't made it / been delisted. Getting impatient anyway. Heppell set the bar too high! :-)

Zerrett has confused me and probably contributed to tainting my opinion of guys like Kav, Merrett and NOB. Has looked more at home in 2 games than all those guys have in 2 yrs at the club. And that worries me that either the development of these guys hasn't been great, or perhaps they just aren't that good... just yet. But Zerrett for mine has gone past these 3 which is alarming. Obviously doesn't have the tank yet. But like the look of him alot. 

- Colyer gets to the right spots, super pace, just panics, over runs and butchers it too much for a permanent senior spot.

- Gleeson, surprisingly liked his poise and decision making under pressure, just his body is a long long way off, maybe 2-3 years.

- Ashby, not done much, but what he did was eye catching. In the Enright mould hopefully. Got pace, skill and seems to read the game, but like Gleeson he's a twig. A while off having the body.

- Steinberg, I tend to disagree with a fair few comments on here about his prospects. He tries his best, goes hard, but looks out of his depth, even in a NAB game. Awkwardly sized, not fast, skills didn't appear great, can't get to enough contests. I just don't see what the appeal is. Good clubman perhaps?

JD couldn't be happier with.

Where is Van Unen? Is he going to make it or be delisted at years end? No sight of him and he'll be 25 next year. Whats the story.

Those GWS boys Edwards and Aylett - had highish hopes for Edwards but haven't heard much. Aylett limited run vs GC.

Concerned that these 3 can't even get a decent crack at a nab game when the younger guys who played didn't exactly excite the masses (bar JD). 

Other clubs appear to have unearthed a few potential diamonds from nowhere. Langford, Wanganeen, Luke McDonald, McDonough, Sam Llyod, Langdon, Buckley, P.Cripps, Matt Crouch, Polec + Macrae (high picks i guess), Clurey, Ramsay, Miles, Georgiou, Kennedy Harris amd Clay Cameron.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhe3vSe-mmw

Heard Bomber on the radio a couple of weeks ago, he said not to expect much from these games.
Hinkley said post match he told Port to go out and play like it was season proper.
Whatever.

Other clubs appear to have unearthed a few potential diamonds from nowhere. Langford, Wanganeen, Luke McDonald, McDonough, Sam Llyod, Langdon, Buckley, P.Cripps, Matt Crouch, Polec + Macrae (high picks i guess), Clurey, Ramsay, Miles, Georgiou, Kennedy Harris amd Clay Cameron.

I reckon Zach is going to absolutely torch most of these players.

He impressed me pretty much at first sight at training, and he's improved since then.

I want him in round one.

Concur. Zach looks Fkg good.One touch, nice skills, bit of zip and a great tackler

With Chapman and Heppell the only 2 players to collect over 20 positions you know Bomber and Co aren’t stressing. Lots of room for improvement + Essendon’s best team are yet to play together. No need to panic

Bassett, as the forwardline coach, really needs to sort something out because what I saw the other night was rubbish. Anybody who could recognise any sort of game plan or strategy has one hell of an imagination. I understand we had players out but the entire list have supposedly been practicing all these "structures" and "quick ball movement" etc. etc. strategies for months now but what was dished up on Tuesday resembled a rabble.

Oh, I forgot, kick it long to JD????

We need a Run Forrest run type of approach with Colyer.