Practice match vs Fark Carlton - Thursday 25 Feb 2021 @ 11am - no entry, live stream

20% drop in members for a club that made the finals in 2019. Surely if we had fair weather members people would be signing in droves.

1. West Coast Eagles — 100,776 (2019 tally: 90,445 | +11.2%)

2. Richmond — 100,420 (2019 tally: 103,358 | -2.8%)

3. Collingwood — 76,862 (2019 tally: 85,226 | -9.8%)

4. Hawthorn — 76,343 (2019 tally: 81,211 | -6%)

5. Carlton — 67,035 (2019 tally: 64,269 | +4.3%)

6. Essendon — 66,686 (2019 tally: 84,237 | -20.8%)

7. Geelong — 60,066 (2019 tally: 65,063 | -7.6%)

8. Adelaide — 54,891 (2019 tally: 64,437 | -14.9%)

9. Fremantle — 51,577 (2019 tally: 51,431 | +0.3% )

10. St Kilda — 48,588 (2019 tally: 43,038 | +12.9%)

11. Sydney Swans — 48,322 (2019 tally: 61,912 | -21.9%)

12. Port Adelaide — 46,820 (2019 tally: 51,951 | -9.9%)

13. Melbourne — 40,571 (2019 tally: 52,421 | -22.6%)

14. Western Bulldogs — 38,876 (2019 tally: 44,373 | -12.4%)

15. North Melbourne — 38,667 (2019 tally: 42,419 | -8.8%)

16. GWS Giants — 30,841 (2019 tally: 30,109 | +2.4%)

17. Brisbane Lions — 29,277 (2019 tally: 28,023 | +4.5%)

18. Gold Coast Suns — 16,236 (2019 tally: 13,649 | +19%)

What have been the discussions re maybe doing a separate membership that splits part of the membership proceeds to the Tiwi bombers.
This may be a alternative option for interstate memberships such as myself. I would only suggest this under certain conditions making the proceeds available to help with flights and only if they are meeting training requirements and personal set standards or goals as maybe an incentive based program.
It doesn’t really matter as long as the money goes to a worthwhile transparent cause that helps our northern friends. I suppose sponsorship is the other option that could be discussed more. I apologise if this already has and is on another thread.

1 Like

It’s gonna be a laugh when Bomber supporters aren’t able to hang ■■■■ on Dogs/Saints/Norf member numbers anymore :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m a big believer that the way to create change is to build networks of support, and then elect your own people. IMO the only way.

And yes, I understand that is incredibly difficult.

Yes, but it is then a bit weird to complain that after firing the guy, that he’s not inviting you to his weekly poker game anymore.

I’ve no issue with people deciding the only way to send a message is to stop buying a membership. Just don’t then expect to receive any of the perks that memberships provide.

I think this is a very good suggestion. Those who supported last year, getting to watch this game, makes a lot of sense.

3 Likes

Makes you wonder how much this is influenced by how well (or rather, not-well) they went, versus how Hind, Heppell, Cahill and Hird looked in defence. Hopefully the latter.

2 Likes

i would say more GA members would have not renewed simply down to covid and not being able to go to games anyway.

also others like my partner who reverted membership to this year, does that count towards a non member for last year?

But that’s not what’s happening.
I don’t have a problem with Essendon adding value to their memberships, but that’s not what this is. If they want to give them pre-game meals and drinks with a player, great!
I don’t think you’d find any non-members going waaaaah, where’s my invitation?

What they’re doing is taking something that you’d expect to be freely available, and similar things have been previously, and saying it’s members only.

I’m not particularly bothered about a livestream of a practice game on a Thursday at 11am, but let’s get the terms right.

3 Likes

Think I might chuck in a few $$ to pay the club not to stream this, just so the glimmer of hope I have about season 2021 lasts past February at least.

12 Likes

Most people won’t be able to watch live at 11am on a Thursday anyway.

Provided they put up a replay on the site or U Toob to watch later, … I don’t really see any issue with this at all.

Times are hard financially, Members are dropping off in droves due to Covid uncertainty, … why not provide a bit of incentive or a Thankyou for those that have ante’d up anyway??

Some of you people would whinge about it Raining too much while we’re in the middle of a fking drought fair dinkum.

4 Likes

This isnt a reward for the members though, this kind of thing is usually free so members and non members both already had it. They are just taking something away from non members.

So no entry. Why, cause the AFL cant charge a fee?

What a load of bs.

In all seriousness this “reward for members” thing is a bit of a joke, you wouldn’t need to reward your members if you won a final or two. It’s a stunt to drum up some more memberships while also giving the members something to feel smug about after receiving nothing but PTSD in their membership packs for the last decade.

There’s a weird vibe and ■■■■■■■ contest about who the bigger supporter is based off reasons why they do or don’t sign up and I think it’s genuinely unhealthy. If the club doesn’t bring you joy, Marie Kondo that ■■■■. If it does bring you joy, great, it’s all personal.

1 Like

I think it’s tone deaf to give exclusive access to members because there is more than one way to financially support the club. There’s buying merchandise and official club apparel, attending games, paying for subscription television (especially so because of COVID) etc.

People haven’t been able to attend games for a year now (and likely won’t be able to this year), not by choice, but because of a global pandemic. If anything, not buying a membership this year is very reasonable considering people can’t attend anyway. Haven’t gotten our money’s worth last year and won’t be getting it this year.

Leave the perks of being a member to the season proper by prioritising members for access to tickets and offical club functions. Not some non-official practice match you’re already streaming at 11am on a Thursday morning.

No nothing

1 Like

I think we are starting to see the saga effect, coupled with the lack of success.
There must be fewer kids supporting us and these would start to be getting memberships around now.

1 Like

Where is it officially say we can’t attend games this year? Crowds were allowed at tennis and women’s football, the MCG is hosting state of origin in July tickets on sale shortly.

There will be crowds even if capped. Empty stadiums will not happen.

1 Like

Why?

1 Like

It’ll be capped. 25K at Marvel means a lot of people, including members, will miss out.

There’s always the possibility of snap lockdowns as well.

Let’s just wait and see however money talks and the AFL love their money.

If we’re getting terms straight, lets be clear. These intra-club practice matches are sometimes streamed, are sometimes free, and sometimes they do their best not to let anyone know they’re occurring.

And its replacing an official preseason match which only members would have been able to get into for free, and Kayo/Fox subscribers watch at home. So its very much switching an exclusive event for an exclusive event.

See above. Its replacing something that would have been free for members to attend, and a cost for non-members.

1 Like