Practice match vs Fark Carlton - Thursday 25 Feb 2021 @ 11am - no entry, live stream

i thought he was really good. will be interesting to see where they play him when mcgrath is back.

honestly i think parish, mcgrath and caldwell look our 3 best centre square players and we should play them. move shiel to the second tier rotation. langers and merret on the wings.

1 Like

Weā€™ve got good graphic design on the walls at the hangar, and the players know more about our history. Thatā€™s got to be worth more than playing a competent zone.

5 Likes

Seems like we are happy to allow the oppo move the ball and then defend and rebound when its in our backline

If thatā€™s the game plan oh boy

1 Like

there are 2 main paths
1 is player and individual development
2 is overall team process

on no.1 i get why people are excited, there were some good signs with some exciting prospects.

no.2 however is the massive red flag that was blowing loud and proud today.

as an example Jones getting outmuscled cos heā€™s a second year player, or bryan getting beaten and the second half us getting smashed in the center cos of it you can cop that, as others have said itā€™s a preseason match, and they are young players.

The 2 big and main and continued issues however are still there.
When the team whole field team defence breaks down, it breaks down absolutely and completely, which should be unacceptable even in a praccy match. you should constantly be allowing teams to run the ball out of defence with unaccounted chip and marks to the opposition stringing more than 5 of them together results in free players getting marks inside 50 for them.

the other area is moving the ball out of defence.
when the run and gun isnā€™t on, or it breaks down, they only have one plan of attack, bomb it long.
and they arenā€™t even bombing it to our players, who have set up poorly for it to begin with.

Those 2 areas donā€™t require players to play above their skill levels, it requires better planning and tactics, which is the worrying sign that they havenā€™t been addressed yet.

before today I was singing the praises that this year wouldnā€™t be as bad cos the process side of things would be better implemented.
If todays output is a sign of their stagnation on that front, i will agree with others that itā€™s gonna be a longer year than first thought.

7 Likes

we play hawthorn, North and Sydney twice. we probably win 4 of them, at a guess?

well fluke a couple of others. Iā€™ll go with 6 wins

2 Likes

Lid off!

(I personally feel we are very clearly a bottom four side. We might play some good footy, but goals are gonna be hard to get all year.)

5 Likes

Carlscum forum is that way.

That kind of thing generally happens quite a bit to bottom 4 sides Nino haha

My guess is they will put the replay up shortly on the website - the link to the live stream just says the event is finished.

1 Like

but yeah, its gonna be a long year. we donā€™t have a forward line. if we did, we could probably push the 8. midfield is good enough

more concerned about our defensive stuff. shades of last year watching Carlton walk it down the ground. its a worry

3 Likes

Iā€™m the most pessimistic person in this placeā€¦that is all!

3 Likes

Lol yeah if we had a sick full ground defensive structure we wouldnā€™t be finishing bottom 4.

3 Likes

BEST: Merrett, Parish, Waterman, Caldwell, Jones, Smith, Ridley, Cox

NOT SO GOOD: Cutler, Ham, Hepp, 2MP

Iā€™m sure some were just rusty which is understandable

Freo had no issues applying some sort of full ground defence

Ham to me could easily be simultaneously in our bests and our worsts today.

Definitely worth pumping games into. Showed enough good signs.

8 Likes

Youā€™re kidding with Ham in that list.

He was good pretty much the whole game. Heā€™s beefier with a shorter haircutā€¦ maybe you are confusing him with someone elseā€¦

6 Likes

I donā€™t get your point - Freo have different strengths and weaknesses to their game than us?

Yep, couple of turnovers and a bad missed tackle but provided a lot of drive. Iā€™m very happy with his development.

2 Likes

Yeah

Look Iā€™m not expecting big things this year I know we will be crap but I was at least hoping we will be better defenseivly

Iā€™m happy to cop losses if I see the team applying pressure and forcing a turnover and making it hard for the oppo to score

Team needs more McBride.

(says person who hasnā€™t watched game or any training)

6 Likes