Practice match vs Fark Carlton - Thursday 25 Feb 2021 @ 11am - no entry, live stream

Also Bryan looked really good, agile for a ruck, could play CHB in time

3 Likes

Always the bridesmaid, never McBride.

Who was No.42 please ?

Ham was great in the first half.

Second half he missed kicks, dropped marks and carlton players broke his tackles.

Tale of two halves.

1 Like

Waterman

1 Like

Iā€™m satisfied with that hitout. Clearly our defensive running needs to improve, we just couldnā€™t get back fast enough. This has to do with offensive structure as well, when we moved forward we overcommitted, so if/when we turned it over we werenā€™t in position to zone.

That was as young an Essendon team as I can remember, and it was the younger players who excited the most. Jones, Cox, Perkins can all play. Archieā€™s steps through traffic were sublime. Yes he got caught a couple of times but remember he hasnā€™t even played VFL yet. Talk about ramping up the pace. Same with Cox.

And Waterman, what a revelation!

Downsides were 2MP and Cutler, as well as the form of Heppell and Hooker. Iā€™m not worried about Heppell/Hooker, who can both play, but not sure the other two will get a run. Surely a Gown or a Jok would be better value on the list.

Bring on the Cats. I know we wonā€™t win but Iā€™m just looking for continued improvement.

7 Likes

If thatā€™s how you view 2MP i think he will surprise you this year.

I only caught the first half

I thought it seemed as though Blues far too easily moved the ball downfield retaining footy with kicks. And only due to some of their poor entries inside 50 were we able to stay with them.

Big periods of them on top but not capitalising. Against better sides they will do so against us.

Havenā€™t read the thread but Iā€™m sure others probably werenā€™t happy with our full ground defence and the ease of the opposition transition

Our own ball use however never had the fluency and efficiency Blues often had

Yes we were able to reel them back to even scores essentially at half time which was a plus but even so weā€™ve got plentyyyyyy to work on. Would want to improve a lot on that.

In saying that definitely a lot to like from some individual players. Need to be playing as a team however.

Nothing but positives out of today. We are a side in complete rebuild mode that could really benefit from being at the pointy end of the draft for a couple of years. Not only did the result didnā€™t matter at all today, nor did our structures, defence in transition or squat.

All that we were meant to get out of today is learn if our young players are going to be serious players in a few years time and boy did we learn that. All of Cox, Caldwell, Perkins, Hind and Jones all clearly showed they will be players for us, on top of players like Ham and Cahill showing significant improvement from last year. We also saw Smith return to his best, Heppell actually played, and Tippa moved well.

Absolutely perfect day for the club. Couldnā€™t give a rats ā– ā– ā– ā–  about anything else for the year

14 Likes

Hmmmā€¦ beefier hamā€¦

1 Like

Community Service Announcement:
Bloodstained Devils, regular contributor here and supplier of coffee to preseason get togethers wants to watch a replay but doesnā€™t want spoilers. So he canā€™t come to Blitz and he canā€™t go to the efc site. If anyone has a link to a replay, DM him the link but donā€™t mention the result, heā€™d appreciate that.

3 Likes

Depends how he pulls up.

1 Like

Ham is not a particularly intelligent footballer. Heā€™s very much a watered down version of Stephen Hill. Decent left foot, quick enough, but his decision making and execution leave a lot to be desired at times. He kicked a great goal from 50m, set shot, dobbed it easily. He also gets involved with good pieces of play, but there was one in the 3rd term when he had the ball, all he needs is to dish off the handball to Langford I think it was, misses the target, turnover, Carlton goal. There is something there to persist with, itā€™s just whether that potential will be realised or whether he will be a ā€œnearly but not quiteā€ player.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll get ABC radio to read out the Web link letter by letter. Thatā€™s the sure fire way to reach him. Tell him to get his pen and paper ready.

5 Likes

I dontā€™ know whether itā€™s personal who are the culprits or the plan itself.

when they went coast to coast it was eerily similar to patches of play from last year (even back to the pre season games last year when we won the games).

the problem is, again whether itā€™s specific personal or poorly planned is that it holds up pretty well for large chunks of games/qtrs.
But boy like i said in my own post, when it breaks down, it breaks down completely, across the board.
and it only needs to happen 10 or so times a game to keep teams in the game.

1 Like

I hope heā€™ll be the player I think he can be, but he needs to improve his physicality in contests. Iā€™m not writing him off yet, but Iā€™m also not going to be losing it if he performs at an average level simply because I know we have other players coming through as well. Heā€™ll need to earn his place in the side.

They sent an email with the link to the stream

ā€¦along with Nino weā€™ve rediscovered our two pronged Essendon attack!

3 Likes

and it can stay broken for a whole quarter or more resulting in a run of unanswered goals.

Need to have a plan to stop the run ons. Whether that means we lock it down or man up one on one - whatever it is they need a good system to activate.

2 Likes

Donā€™t think we are in complete rebuild mode

Full rebuild mode is not having any players over the age of 25 with majority of the 22 made up of 18 year olds

We still have have far too many senior players in the 26/27 age group that make up majority of the team