Pre-season training report - Monday 5 Dec 2022

Surely your trying to stir blitz up :joy:, I have to admit it triggered me for a sec. I mean there are risks involved in stepping outside your front door.

Ankle strapping in afl is basically mandatory before each game they all do it from what BJ said on radio earlier this year
Bit i totally agree with you. Got mine back from rehab and excercises over due course time

There are a lot of things that need to be dealt with when kids come into the elite AFL environment and these are overlaid on the transition to male adulthood as well, with the range of freedoms and the money in presenting an almost exponential opening up of opportunity.

Thats where the "pastoral care " of leaders and coaches is so important. Surely they are fully across that, but not all kids can handle the transition and you end up with the odd DeGoey of the competition.

I feel like there’s a lot of physical prep that goes on away from the prying eyes of the track watchers, so they’re still putting all of the physical work in (and are limiting their football work to facilitate this - as evidenced by the “load management” of the first year players). There is a degree of person management in it as well, you can’t have them completely separate and not doing football work, you’d lose their buy-in, but at the same time the critical thing is building a body that can withstand the demands of the game.

(Re the opportunities to improve further, I do wonder about how much of what we see is the stage managed photo ops where the media manager gets a specific shot because it looks better for the 'gram, vs what the physios are actually getting them to do. You note the shoes in the lifting shots this week, and it was a valid point, as the ASICS trainers they were lifting in didn’t look fully appropriate, but compared to Baldwin doing the stuff in Vaporflys a few weeks back, I feel like that was vaguely ok. Vaporflys are so soft and unstable and designed purely as straight line road running shoes on roads, that the use of them for anything other than that is a recipe for disaster.)

1 Like

I don’t want any “pastors” near any of the players!!

1 Like

I’m not poo-pooing the entire system (though I’m worried tbh about the shoe thing, for some it might be a minor issue but to me it leads to some significant questions about player education, exercise prescription and the level of supervision).

A couple of weeks ago I caught up with a bloke who I used to get to do all of my strength and mobility programming, I used to work with him but he had a career change and became an S&C coach at an NRL club. Basically I would go away for periods of time and inevitably come back with an injury of some form from work or from training without supervision.

He spoke about the frustration that you feel when training someone for physical preparedness for a task, that it gets to a point that you don’t want the person to do the task as in the end it compromises their physical preparedness to repeat the task. I get what he is saying, that S&C is constantly compromised by the task itself. It is a constant balancing act.

2 Likes

I do get that. But the point of all the S&C has to be about performing the task. There is no other point for the S&C in the context of why these players are employed by the club.

And doing the task itself has to be considered as part of whatever S&C program they are doing.

1 Like

Exactly.

I guess he wasn’t exactly speaking to a desire for the task not to take place, more he was purely speaking towards the paradox of preparation/task/repeat (he provided the analogy of cleaning your house before a party, only for it to be trashed more than it was before). But full understanding that it is the role, that’s the job.

3 Likes

Anyone know what the pre-Xmas training schedule is? Mon-Wed-Fri?

Another guy who wants to go to Geelong, even our fans are heading town the freeway!

I think you need to design your game plan to suit your list but obviously if the opposition has 5 blokes who can run 15km+ and you don’t you’ve got less options than they do.

1 Like

I blame Murphy

Seems Davey did a presser yesterday but nothing on the Essendon website or AFL

2 Likes

It was a bit of a stir but also a little bit of a genuine questions. Whilst I’m no athlete, I’ve done/doing my share of training with weights. I would much prefer to do that kind of exercise with two dumbbells at my sides instead of having my hands locked with a barbell on my shoulder. The barbell does add an additional level of core balancing but I think it’s much less riskier with dumbbells.

certainly looks like a big boy - just needs to switch the ‘angry’ button on once the ball is bounced.

5 Likes

Yeh but you cant just play the guys that can run 15kms then you end up with guys like Ham getting a game.

3 Likes

:100::100::100:

And it’s an inditement on our list that we had to. Ham clearly wasn’t up to senior footy but two key factors:

1. Injuries to Cox, Langford and Snelling who gave us a lot of run in 2021 on the wings and flanks

2. Inappropriate list balance between talls and smalls (I think we had like 19-20 talls last year)

… Meant that we had to play him despite clearly not being up to it.

2 Likes

Was this mentioned anywhere?

2 Likes

Will there be training tomorrow?
Have day off, so would like to get there if possible.

9:30am it should be on. Now for that piece of info you must write a training report :grin:

5 Likes