Pre-season training report - Monday 5 Dec 2022

Where did this talk of Jones not being invested come from?

Is he not the same person who voluntarily helped the recruiting department with the draft and onboarding process last yeae?

20 Likes

I read on FB i think that Jones was injured…

edit potentially injured / not out on the track, so same as above.

1 Like

Don’t forget them, Dodoro added 3 top 10 draft picks this trade period :wink:
Have heard good stuff so far about Weideman.

Don’t think Setterfield will show much until we start doing proper match sim stuff. But is a point of difference to our side.

2 Likes

have always been fascinated by fitness even if i don’t follow thorugh on it as much as i’d like.
but you’re right all training has risk, it’s not as if they are knife juggling blindfolded to increase their game awareness.

some interesting stuff coming out now via the internet of people who go knee way over toes on leg work to strength the lower body, the ■■■■ some of them can do after training like that is impressive.

wonder when it will start getting incorporated into afl landscape if it hasn’t already, as mentioned with all the sydesmosis injuries

Potential leader and comes from a good family maybe ???
This selection has the imprimatur of Dodoro written all over it !

Munkara #1 in the fan excitement poll !

I know; cliche’, but this kid could be anything !

2 Likes

On your point, this is where the taping of ankles can be problematic and where knees over toes is challenging some thinking (though it isn’t a new concept, it has been staring people in the face forever)

Why promote rigidity in joints? Joints that should be mobile and help to absorb force and impact along with other joints (in the case of the ankle, with hip and knee).

Promoting rigidity in the ankle removes mobility and leads to force being absorbed solely at the knee/hip which is far from ideal.

I would love to see more athletes complete strength training in appropriate footwear, and fully embrace mobility (particularly at ankle, and under load) as a means of injury minimisation and mitigation.

6 Likes

Kids come in after having done the final VCE year and played footy, maybe have a little niggle and then compete against 25 year old professional athletes in a 2km time trial.

Just have a think, the guy who won the time trial, did he win when he was 18? Sure there were always standout runners at the club like Ambrose and Stanton, but just as Redman came out of nowhere in terms of the 2 km, there were some others who could never get to an acceptable level of endurance .

In any case the best simulation for the fitness needed for footy is interval training/repeat sprints

3 Likes

while you obviously don’t want jobe watson type fitness, you don’t need your whole list to be running 15 k a game.

I think port is the main side who had what 8 or so guys on their list circa 2014 ish and were pumped up about being the fittest list ever and all that. they only got to one prelim I believe and almost rolled hawks.

ultimately like everything it’s about efficiency. hell even this year if they had of merely kicked some of the easier goals in games that they should have, games and the season take on a whole different feel.

sure it’s a lil interesting if the new guys are struggling exponentially, but it is only one aspect of the whole that needs focus on.

1 Like

Sounds like a very good point but to promote that idea would put half the club physios out of a job. ( taping 80 ankles 6 days a week )

A question: Is the increased incidence of “high” ankle strain potentially due to the current taping techniques, or are they just giving out more specific descriptions when strains occur “syndesmosis”

1 Like

yep agree. probably like most things ankle taping worked in very specific situations , where a rolled ankle in game and it helped them get back out there, and people and just gone the short cut route and instead of focusing time and effort on as you say mobility and flexibility in joints, the industry as a whole (and most sports i guess) have just said nah focus on weights, and we can just strap the ankle to save time.

Given that it takes 1 year to recover from an ACL, and 2-4 weeks from a typical ankle, wouldn’t it be better to tape the knees?

I think it’s more a case of something having a title so it’s cuts through when someone mentions the ‘S’ word.

It is a good example of an injury occurring out of limited tolerance to a load at the end of someone’s range. But also, ■■■■ happens.

The movement is trainable, and range and load is able to be increased, however it takes time and dedication. That time is finite and perhaps it might be at the expense of other things (skills, game plan, running).

Imo there needs to be a complete shift in the way 18 year old athletes approach their first year of football. But it will never happen so it isn’t worth worrying about.

1 Like

Thank god @nackers your reports are back.

Truly are the blitz godfather.

:man_bowing:t4::man_bowing:t4::man_bowing:t4:

6 Likes

Is the “tape every ankle” what they actually do in 2022. I know that was a thing in the 90s, but it felt like the world had moved on. Even my teen daughters football team 4 or 5 years ago were giving the girls specific exercise programs to strengthen knee and ankle joints and improve flexibility (and this was not a high performance team). It seems to me that high performance physio had long moved on and these days focuses on individual strengths and weaknesses and working on those?

Have you ever had your knee taped, it severly limits your agility from my experience.

2 Likes

I’d have thought this shift has been ongoing, and incorporates the way the 14-17yos train as well?

Maybe I’m naive, but I thought that players were coming into the system with far greater knowledge and a far better background in preparation (dietary, aerobic, strength, everything…) than ever before.

I have no involvement in football these days, but seeing the way elite juniors prepare across a number of sports I would be very surprised if football wasn’t incorporating all of these elements already???

Depends what they’re taping it for

Without that, we have no idea

I think Scotts approach of doing all the drills and less running stuff is good idea for the ones who arent quite up to scratch fitness wise.

so like Tippa and kids Daveys, Tsatas, Munkara does all his running in the footy part and sits out the running part as they are cooked. But over time as they recover can then add in some extra running too,

1 Like

Absolutely they are. However I’m speaking specifically towards physical prep to minimise injury risk from an increased workload. While it has improved no doubt, observing some of the strength training there are opportunities to improve further.

However, in the end they need to play football, not just be athletes, and my approach would probably be too biased towards the physical preparation at the expense of other key elements (I guess that’s why I would build it as a 12 month physical on-boarding post draft, though fans probably wouldn’t like it, players probably wouldn’t either)

1 Like