Pre season Training Summary 2015

Quoted Post

Awesome work JM

Not sure if Langford will get the call up in rd 1, only because of his size…Howlett’s big body will get the nod for mine.

Winderlich a certain starter over Giles, although Giles should play as he is a goal kicker.

Winderlich and Giles play different roles and are not competing with each other.

There are strong arguments for including Winderlich, Dempsey and Howlett they are all good experienced players but the fortunate fact is that with Hocking being the only injured midfielder there is great competition for spots.

Beyond this the second tier players such as Gleeson, Ashby, Browne, Jerret, Kav. etc are all pushing for spots and I think this will pressure all players to follow the game plan or lose their spot.

Fantastic summary Jackie, great work. as always.

Assuming that Hocking and Heppell both come up, I’d like to see the following side Rd 1:

FB: Fletcher Hooker Baguley
HB: Hibberd Hurley Myers
C: Goddard Watson Colyer
HF: Zaharakis Carlisle Cooney
FF: Chapman Daniher Ambrose
R: Bellchambers Heppell Hocking

IN: Howlett Z Merrett Stanton Winderlich (sub)

EM: Dempsey Giles Gwilt

FWIW - It’s already been stated (doc reid) that Hocking won’t be ready for round 1.

Ivan, I reckon whenever we have started an inside type as sub over the last 2 years we’ve been smashed around the ball for the first half. Maybe we have enough depth now, but I wouldn’t be starting with Myers as sub in our best side.

Of course it will probably change throughout the year, but for now I’d want his leadership and strength around the ball when the heat is on.

Quoted Post

Ivan, I reckon whenever we have started an inside type as sub over the last 2 years we've been smashed around the ball for the first half. Maybe we have enough depth now, but I wouldn't be starting with Myers as sub in our best side.

Of course it will probably change throughout the year, but for now I’d want his leadership and strength around the ball when the heat is on.

interesting point. i can’t say i can recall an example of what your speaking about but equally the fact that i have noticed myers’ impact as sub may in and of itself support it.

maybe also the elimination final is still giving me the heebeejeebees but damn we looked slow in that game with myers, hepp, jobe, hocking and stanton around the pill. yes we dominated the first half of the game but once we gave them a sniff of the ball in the 2nd half they out spread us comprehensively.

now there may have been fitness issues at play for stants, jobe and hocking but even so i am weary of having to many cumbersome players at the coal face and i think myers is probably the least flexible of those discussed. I don’t like him at half back where i think he gets badly exposed on the lead and in the air.

if hepp and jobe are killing it in the middle for us I just think myers might unbalance us slightly.

that is not to say i don’t think he has a lot to offer but i am pretty to keen to see how jobe and hepp both fit and at their best can work together in the middle (perhaps complemented by a speedster) and we haven’t really had the chance to see that yet.

If hepp and jobe are playing say 70% game time together in the middle i’m not sure that leaves a lot of room for myers in the rotation unless we are going to become a little top heavy.

happy for people to disagree with that and i’m not certain that it’s right but it’s something we need to be wary of i think.

I know it’s a long shot but any chance Browne plays in the NAB cup?

Quoted Post

I know it's a long shot but any chance Browne plays in the NAB cup?
I think he is almost a certainty for at least one game.

Browne is part of the 2012 squad I believe.

On Myers - I think he’s a weapon around the stoppages. Best player IMO who keeps his feet while in the scrap and I love it when he prevails with the pil at the back of the pack for a long clearance off his left.
Need more of this! Perhaps with Hocking out we won’t go with one particular run-with player now and Myers tactically could be the one to find more ball around the stoppage. (Didn’t win defensive player of the year for nothing).
I also remember reading somewhere or from watching one of the coaches interviews that Myers will spend some time fwd or fwd of centre more?!! Can anyone recall?

JM, will the training reports continue through the season or are the sessions behind closed door?

Quoted Post

JM, will the training reports continue through the season or are the sessions behind closed door?

I don’t know but they can do so much in the privacy of the hangar and the club has a policy of re-engaging with the supporters that I think they will have one open session a week and possibly a captain’s run as well. If we are banned from training again I think this website should take action what do you think?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Ivan, I reckon whenever we have started an inside type as sub over the last 2 years we've been smashed around the ball for the first half. Maybe we have enough depth now, but I wouldn't be starting with Myers as sub in our best side.

interesting point. i can’t say i can recall an example of what your speaking about but equally the fact that i have noticed myers’ impact as sub may in and of itself support it.

maybe also the elimination final is still giving me the heebeejeebees but damn we looked slow in that game with myers, hepp, jobe, hocking and stanton around the pill. yes we dominated the first half of the game but once we gave them a sniff of the ball in the 2nd half they out spread us comprehensively.

now there may have been fitness issues at play for stants, jobe and hocking but even so i am weary of having to many cumbersome players at the coal face and i think myers is probably the least flexible of those discussed. I don’t like him at half back where i think he gets badly exposed on the lead and in the air.

if hepp and jobe are killing it in the middle for us I just think myers might unbalance us slightly.

that is not to say i don’t think he has a lot to offer but i am pretty to keen to see how jobe and hepp both fit and at their best can work together in the middle (perhaps complemented by a speedster) and we haven’t really had the chance to see that yet.

If hepp and jobe are playing say 70% game time together in the middle i’m not sure that leaves a lot of room for myers in the rotation unless we are going to become a little top heavy.

happy for people to disagree with that and i’m not certain that it’s right but it’s something we need to be wary of i think.

I don’t even disagree with the general idea. It’s certainly a bit one paced, and perhaps adding cooney and having Merrett cone into the rotations will mean we’re generally more dynamic anyway. I guess my point was the way we’ve played stoppages for the last couple of years has been all about holding our shape and keeping the contest on our terms so that we don’t get cut up on the outside. It worked vs port last year and for a half vs North. Anyway, I reckon that whenever we’ve gone without one of those key rotations we’ve not been able to replace them with someone who can fill the role in the same way. And we’re already down Hocking to start the year (although we’ve added Watson over a lot of last year).

I guess we’ll see. If we can successfully be more dynamic it will be great, because grinding for 6 months is hard work!

Blitz has proved it’s worth a few times over the last couple of months JM inc. the AGM vote, active membership initiative by Ryan and of course your dedicated training reports to name a few!
I say “absolutely” if they lock us out but I do think they will allow at least one or two open sessions a week.

Going by JM’s training reports and Dr Reid’s weekly reports my guess is that 10 to 12 players would miss if Round 1 was this weekend.

Does anyone truly think that winders won’t be in the starting lineup? He’s instantly in the team when fit.

Like we talk someone out of retirement just to play VFL…

LICHA= SUPER SUB

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

See to me, the root cause was we got killed for clearances which allowed them the luxury of all ■■■■-bolting forward.
North aren’t a quick side but they are (or at least were, before losing Greenwood) pretty deep through midfield. With Hepp and Stants down, they killed us after half time. Accordingly, I’d have to say that I’d be losing Stants before Myers - but Howlett before either. Stants as much as I love him is not necessarily good for balance - he’s neither really quick, nor a force at the clearance. Most of the other guys on the periphery are one or the other (Myers Howlett Melksham Hocking, Jerrett Colyer Demps Gleeson).

I’d also be trying to ensure we have 4 or 5 speedsters so we can capitalise on the ball we do win. Which means Gleeson has to play if Demps doesn’t, Zerrett and Colyer are even more locked in, and Jerrett might be preferred over an otherwise better player who doesn’t have that leg speed - could be Chap.

Baguley Hurley Fletcher
Gleeson Hooker Hibberd
Heppell Watson Stanton
Zaharakis Carlisle Cooney
Ambrose Daniher Zerrett

Bellchambers Melksham Colyer

Chap, Myers, Goddard, Jerrett (sub)

Em - Langford Gwilt Howlett Dempsey Winderlich Giles etc

That speed vs clearance vs height equation is part of what makes Langford intriguing, could he play that 3rd tall forward role whilst adding a hell of a lot more footspeed, maybe meaning we can play 1 more inside mid?

Baguley Hurley Fletcher
Goddard Hooker Hibberd
Zaharakis Watson Stanton
Colyer Carlisle Chapman
Giles Daniher Zerret
Bellchambers Heppel Cooney

Gwilt, Licha , Melksham, Myers(sub)

Emer. Dempsey, Langford, Howlett

still not quite sold on Giles and tbell

Your side is fine. It was more about naming the best 22 rather than saying who is named on the flank or in the middle. Players will be rotated but I do think Melksham would be used as the lockdown player.

I think Ryder will be replaced by tandem ruckmen who can also rest forward and kick goals.

Myers won the best defender award at the Crichton so I don’t think he will start as a sub.

Myers was also part of the leadership group that visited Gilligan’s island

Winders was talked out of retirement so we could furnish the true value centre at a discounted price.

What chance Edwards for round 1?

Quoted Post

Winders was talked out of retirement so we could furnish the true value centre at a discounted price.

Edwards is an exciting player - a bit like Jetta but with height and real pace (which makes him not like Jetta at all).
He will play in the VFL to develop his decision making and learning the game plan but should get a run in the seniors later in the year.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post

Edwards is an exciting player - a bit like Jetta but with height and real pace (which makes him not like Jetta at all).
He will play in the VFL to develop his decision making and learning the game plan but should get a run in the seniors later in the year.

sgrbyf