Preferred KP structure for 2017

I think #1 will have the best backline. with plenty of clunk and hurls/franga to clear the zone with kicking. In the interim hartley is backup. Genuinely think midfield > defence > forwards should be the priority for deciding the team.

I wonder if Option 4 is a tad too tall for the defense.

I know we used to go with Carlisle, Hooker & Fletcher there for a while, but I just prefer the more mobile set-up.

I wonder if Option 4 is a tad too tall for the defense.

I know we used to go with Carlisle, Hooker & Fletcher there for a while, but I just prefer the more mobile set-up.

I think that is the beauty of having Francis as a mobile 3rd tall option at either end and knowing both hurls and hooker can be versatile too.

Don’t really see Ambrose as a long term option at all. But has certainly found his position and wouldn’t be against keeping him on next year.

DEF: Hurley, Hartley, Francis
FWD: JD, Hooker, Brown/Belly

We’ve had one of the worst forward lines in the league for years. I’m 90% confident we should use Hooker down there given we’ve now got adequate KPD quality. Not sure on the whole Brown/Belly thing yet. Team match ups would play a big part. With Hooker forward… I’m more of the opinion we should play JD as the 80% forward 20% ruck given Leuenberger is a ruck-all-day kind of ruckman and JD is showing some big potential just roaming around the ground. Allows us to play Brown in the side as a more mobile 3rd tall forward/swingman as opposed to a less mobile Bellchambers who is probably only limited to a tall target/backup ruckman role.

I think this setup is the best for team balance.

Def: Hooker, Hurley, Hartley
Fwd: JD, Tbell, Francis

Swing men at both ends
Ambrose and Brown depth players

Where’s my Hurley forward option?

Where's my Hurley forward option?

Heath Hocking - CHF

Where's my Hurley forward option?

Heath Hocking - CHF

Bring back Alwyn Davey!

Hartley Brown
Hurley
Leuey
Daniher
Hooker Francis

Francis and Brown interchangeable, my preference however is Francis fwd given his competitiveness at ground level and ability to sit on heads and clunk. Can see him bursting through tackles and creating play like Crameri used to do as well.

Ambrose, Belly, Gwilt & Gach kpp depth. We really need to recruit some kpf’s this trade/draft period.

And also… Not sure if people are genuinely serious about Hurley playing 3rd tall. He is an all Australian defender being paid the big bucks, no way we’ll be having him on the Ben Brown’s, or Tyrone Vickery’s of sides who will just drag him out of the play. He will be taking the opposition best fwds in Waite, JRiewoldt etc who draw the footy to them the most.

I went option #5

Hartley Hurley (3rd tall)
Ambrose

Brown
Hooker JD (2nd ruck)

We all want a monster stay at home FF, and Hooker is surely the one for that role.

I’ve liked JD as 2nd ruck. I think it helps him get into the game when it isn’t going all his way.

Ambrose has been very good defensively on those hard running tall forwards, and Hartley is a gem. If that releases Hurley to play 3rd tall, then that would be a very good attacking result.

Francis as 3rd tall defender may work out ok, but at present still messing up his disposal. Conversely, his kicking for goal seems fine. Play him as a utility early. If all goes well and he pushes Ambrose / Brown out of the side, then we’ll be going ok.

I wrote this in another thread.
I think Hurley, Hooker & Hurley is the way to go in Defense.

Interesting about Worsfold's comments in the presser after the match in regard to Hartley. He made mention about the fact that Hartley is doing a good job at stopping his direct opponent, but he needs to do more to support his team mates. It's all good and well to keep your direct opponent quiet for the match but if your getting 20 goals kicked against you each week, it really doesn't make any difference.

As the weeks go on, the more I think Hooker needs to play in Defence. The amount of crumbing goals we are conceding because we simply don’t have an intercepting mark in the backline is very frustrating. The amount of times a ball flys in and a pack of players jumps up often 3 defenders to 1 forward, and no mark is taken. There will be no Fletcher, and possibly no Hibberd (who also is pretty good intercepting mark) next year. Hooker is the main man, I think he needs to play down back. Even if Hurley stays or goes.

A lot depends on where Francis ends up playing. Everybody else can just move out of the farkin way to accommodate that.

Personally, I’d go with

B: Hurley, Hartley, Hooker.
F: JD, TBell, Francis.

Brown and Ambrose as depth, and the Hooker / Francis switch can be the new tactic when things are going badly.

Surely we can’t play Hurls, Harts, Hooks in one backline. Too big and slow

Fwd: Hurley, Hooker, Daniher, Laverde, Raz, Francis

Back: Who cares?

Surely we can't play Hurls, Harts, Hooks in one backline. Too big and slow

Henderson, Lonergan and Taylor seem to do ok, and they sometimes have Kolodjasni (I refuse to look up the correct spelling) too.

On the rare occasion it’s an issue, switch Hooker forward.

Fletcher, Hooker & Hurley was ok tho?

Francis everywhere.

One of these things is not like the others.

Didn’t think I would ever see a comparison between hartley and fletch