Priority picks?

If the AFL is seriously considering reintroducing priority picks for struggling clubs, why does it not also handicap those clubs that have seen consistent success, such as Hawthorn with three flags on the trot? Our welfare system supports those less well off whilst (theoretically) obliging the better off to pay a bigger whack.

I haven’t got any worry left in me after the Hurley saga…let them have a priority, we will still walk away with one of Ainsworth, Brodie or McLuggage.

If the AFL is seriously considering reintroducing priority picks for struggling clubs, why does it not also handicap those clubs that have seen consistent success, such as Hawthorn with three flags on the trot? Our welfare system supports those less well off whilst (theoretically) obliging the better off to pay a bigger whack.

They never got rid of them. They changed the rules so that their wasn’t a simple win/losses formula, changed it to “whenever we feel like it” and haven’t awarded one in the last few years.

They need to exclude dominant teams from free agency for a period of time

We’re struggling. Came last. Give us pick 1 and 2.

We're struggling. Came last. Give us pick 1 and 2.

Haha…
Imagine the butthurt of opposition fans ?
I’d be on Bigfooty for a week !

Apparently we’re cheats. Might as well cheat the way the AFL officially recognise as well.

Nothing surer as soon as we got pick one.

We must be getting a good team again and Hawks must be on the slide.

Do you want to add some context? Are you referring to Brisbane's request for a priority pick? In which case it isn't a reintroduction, its a continuation of a current approach where the AFL provides discretion on whether or not teams should receive a priority pick if they make an application. A team did last year as well, but was knocked back (can't remember who it was).

Or do you mean the talk about re-introducing an automatic system, potentially based off how long a team has been out of the finals?

As to why they don’t penalise the teams doing well, as I’ve said elsewhere that is because draft picks represent hope. Taking hope away from top teams hurts a lot more than giving weaker teams “more” hope. Additionally, if your team is crap, seeing a couple of high draft picks run around is one of the few sources of joy. Adding a few more makes sense.

If I remember correctly Brisbane and carlton both applied last year and were both denied.

Priority picks wont help Brisbane. Their players leave because they have ordinary training facilities, therefore the club is degenerating. This is a self perpetuating cycle of failure. Brisbane should request $$$ from the AFL for state of the art facilities with spongy floors to stop the cycle.

There is nothing surer than Brisbane getting one this year

Do they still have the option of end of first round priority picks or are they all at the beginning of the draft?

They can have Picks 2 & 3

Do they still have the option of end of first round priority picks or are they all at the beginning of the draft?
The AFL could give them one pretty much anywhere. But historically its been a before the 2nd round first, and then before the 1st round if a club needs another one the next year.

Brisbane might be telling Zorko to STFU

Lions don’t need priority pick, says Zorko

I think we’ve got a lot of talent, to be honest. If it’s developed the right way, I don’t think (a priority pick) would be necessary

Zorko told SEN on Monday he believed the young players on the Lions’ list were good enough to make the team competitive again.

“I think we’ve got a lot of talent, to be honest. If it’s developed the right way, I don’t think that (a priority pick) would be necessary,” Zorko said.

“But if the AFL wants to give us one, then yep (we’ll take it).”

The club’s bid for a pick is expected to be considered at an AFL Commission meeting on the Monday before the Grand Final.

Justin Leppitsch was sacked as coach last week after a three-year tenure that saw the club win only 14 matches.

There has also been turnover of assistant coaches next season, with Simon Black to have a much-reduced role as he focuses on his private academy, Shane Woewodin returning to Melbourne and Gary O’Donnell also set to depart.

I think we’ve got a lot of talent, to be honest. If it’s developed the right way, I don’t think (a priority pick) would be necessary

Zorko told SEN on Monday he believed the young players on the Lions’ list were good enough to make the team competitive again.

“I think we’ve got a lot of talent, to be honest. If it’s developed the right way, I don’t think that (a priority pick) would be necessary,” Zorko said.

The club’s bid for a pick is expected to be considered at an AFL Commission meeting on the Monday before the Grand Final.

Justin Leppitsch was sacked as coach last week after a three-year tenure that saw the club win only 14 matches.

There has also been turnover of assistant coaches next season, with Simon Black to have a much-reduced role as he focuses on his private academy, Shane Woewodin returning to Melbourne and Gary O’Donnell also set to depart.

It's true the AFL should help them get the best coaching pannel no matter the money not a priority pick

It's true the AFL should help them get the best coaching pannel no matter the money not a priority pick
Exactly. All you do giving a pp now is ruin another kids career. Get the development right.grt the coaches right. Then pp if reqd

Priority pick is absolutely going to Brisbane (would bet my house on it), just a question of what number Gill allocates. On top of that the AFL will have to pump alot of money back into QLD footy to get it somewhat sustainable.