PSA - there's still a year left this decade

How would you know, you’re still 29!

2 Likes

I used to say twenty-ten.
You can be damn sure I’ll be saying forty-ten.

The new decade begins on 1/1/2021.

The new century and millennium began on 1/1/2001.

There’s a good reason that the date of Federation was chosen to be 1/1/1901.

1 Like

Again.
The.
By your definition.
There are others.
You can not argue it’s not A.
Unless you love being wrong.

Yes. Because the original referendum in 1898 in NSW didn’t have the numbers so another needed to be held in 1899, pushing it back a year.

5 Likes

You’re funny, Wim.

Using your logic, every year then becomes the end of “a” decade.

It also becomes the end of “a” century and even indeed “a” millennium.

Clearly, the terms loses all relevance under that definition.

1 Like

It is!
And no, it retains its definition.
A decade is a period of ten years.

That everyone chooses to include 1960 as part of the sixties while you stamp your foot and say, ‘No. It’s part of the fifties,’ is not just pedantry, it’s wrong.

2 Likes

Ha.

Haaaaaaaaa.

Like how saying “a week from today” means a week has no relevance?

Time is arbitrary. Periods of time are arbitrary.

this thread is funny

This thread has gone completely ■■■■■■■ insane.

Every minute is the end of a decade, if you count a decade as a period of ten years, rather than having some numerical significance.

The best was the centenary of the VFL/AFL in 1996. It was the hundredth year, but was clearly just organised to send Oakley off with a bang.

There’s a lot of difference between cardinal and ordinal numbers.

1 Like

A nine year decade or a ten year one??

2 Likes

Ordinals don’t molest kids?

9 Likes

FINALLY.

I wish more people realised this.

Check with bugman :wink:

Indeed and that definition includes a bunch of assumptions and tweaks. 700 odd years of backdating, a bunch of fiddling and long and short months, etc etc.

To claim anything with absolute certainty is “the” end of the millenium or decade or whatever is clearly just trying to prove your smartness for the sake of it, while ignoring everything else that goes into us arriving at the current calendar date.

And in the meantime popular culture (and google) dictates that Flood was a 90s album, and so therefore the 2010s finish in a couple of days.

Time finished in 2012 we are living in virtual reality now.

1 Like

Strongest evidence yet.
It’s in the very first track.
Why would they lie?

1 Like

This will be my last comment on the topic, lest I end up sounding like David Brent and Finchy at the pub quiz night on ‘The Office’.

If you accept that THE first decade was from year 1 to year 10 and the second from year 11 to year 20 and you keep counting in tens until the present day then logic would dictate that this decade won’t finish until the end of 2020.

However, if you use the terminology “The 20s” then you could argue that the start of 2020 is also the start of the decade. I think it all comes down to syntax. (Not a tax on sin)