Pushing for more games at the G?

Few more nights like v West Coast at Etihad in 2007 with 48,913 in the house and I'll be quite happy to keep playing games there.

When was the last time we played a full house at etihad. Hawthorn or Geelong in 2013?

We’ve had a few “issues” since then which may have adversely affected attendances.

Adelaide play 11 games on a ground that holds less than Etihad, yet they average more attendance per game than us. Hawthorn play three crappy games in Tasmania yet still average more than us. Adelaide don't have a guaranteed 95k+ fixture holding their figures up either. Hawks do with the Easter Monday fixture.

If we fill Etihad more often, we’ll get more games at the G and maybe even less interstate games.

But crying that we deserve more games at the MCG when the highest attendance we got at Etihad was 35k but the rest of the games were under 30k is just ridiculous.

Super post

Our attendances would rise at the G irrespective of the arguments above.

Etihad became on the nose for a few reasons. People got jacked off when they brought in ticketed seats for the entire stadium a few years ago. Irrespective of this you can only now sit 3rd level as general public and this is only from half way back in the stands, whereas at the G, the bottom level in the Ponsford and top level on the fence is available (in multiple stands) with plenty of space.

I prefer the G for this reason. Better seats, better viewing options for free.

The fact Etihad is like this gives it a great corporate feel and is more comfortable on an unsavoury day but alienates the general public, especially when there are huge numbers of empty seats below in a great viewing area.

This is a super post. It’s a ■■■■■■ awful atmosphere and it’s rank that of the 4 foundation teams we’re the only one not marching out on to the G for our home games. Not to mention several years of on field injuries owing to the surface and the roof alignment queering the dispersal of sunlight. And aliens.

Anyone know if the general admission arrangements have changed this year for our home games at Etihad?
Cramming everyone into the back half of a few bays behind the goals on level 3 when there are 20k+ empty seats is a great way to put people off attending games there.

Doesn’t bother me, just win games of footy

Adelaide play 11 games on a ground that holds less than Etihad, yet they average more attendance per game than us. Hawthorn play three crappy games in Tasmania yet still average more than us. Adelaide don't have a guaranteed 95k+ fixture holding their figures up either. Hawks do with the Easter Monday fixture.

If we fill Etihad more often, we’ll get more games at the G and maybe even less interstate games.

But crying that we deserve more games at the MCG when the highest attendance we got at Etihad was 35k but the rest of the games were under 30k is just ridiculous.

Super post

Yeah, not sure about that.
Numbers are tricky little things.
2016 was a slightly odd year for EFC, and we were behind 7 other teams in attendances.
We averaged 36.5k. Top club was Hawks, with 42.3k.
2015 was better for us, with 40.6k in 5th place, and hawks 1st on 44.4k. Remembering that the Hawks were premiers.
In 2014, during the saga but performing great, we were 2nd placed, with nearly 50k average for the year, 2nd after the premiers by only 300.

Our numbers have risen and fallen according to our on-field performances, like everyone else, but also according to our off-field dramas. Over-arching that though, we are still one of the top 3 or 4 clubs for members and attendances.

So perhaps in hindsight, the above post was not so ‘super’, and more ‘superficial’.

G hot chips >>>> Eating Visy cardboard with a Carlton player's head on it >>>>> Docklands hot chips

@“David J Richardson” can you confirm?

I leave home and get to Etihad in about 15 - 20 mins. Much easier to forget about a loss if it’s at that joint.

Comparing us vs any team the last year (and 3 years) is pointless considering…

I leave home and get to Etihad in about 15 - 20 mins. Much easier to forget about a loss if it's at that joint.

Yeah but it’s not as easy to forget that you live in the scummy west…

?

I leave home and get to Etihad in about 15 - 20 mins. Much easier to forget about a loss if it's at that joint.

Yeah but it’s not as easy to forget that you live in the scummy west…

?

Scummy West?

As much as it tries to be believe otherwise Essendon is a western suburb team now.

1 Like

Essendon is an eastern suburb that they plucked out from the east centuries ago and put down somewhere west. True story

Super post

Yeah, not sure about that.
Numbers are tricky little things.
2016 was a slightly odd year for EFC, and we were behind 7 other teams in attendances.
We averaged 36.5k. Top club was Hawks, with 42.3k.
2015 was better for us, with 40.6k in 5th place, and hawks 1st on 44.4k. Remembering that the Hawks were premiers.
In 2014, during the saga but performing great, we were 2nd placed, with nearly 50k average for the year, 2nd after the premiers by only 300.

Our numbers have risen and fallen according to our on-field performances, like everyone else, but also according to our off-field dramas. Over-arching that though, we are still one of the top 3 or 4 clubs for members and attendances.

So perhaps in hindsight, the above post was not so ‘super’, and more ‘superficial’.

Our average home attendances since being at Etihad (from 2000) have never surpassed our highest average home attendance over a full season before 2000 - not even once.

Collingwood for reference have posted higher averages on 9 occasions, Carlton 7.

But, Why are you comparing us to other clubs? I really don’t care what other clubs average.

Think about this (and I’m not using trickly little numbers).

We averaged home crowds of 52,848 in 97 (with 28063 members), 54893 in 98 (27099 members), 57309 in 99 (29858). (In fact our ave home attendances grew year on year throughout the 90s).

In 2000 our first year at Etihad and the greatest singular year of the club when expectation levels of success were literally at their highest (anyone like to dispute that?) we averaged 48,352 with 34,278 members.

If you want to say people were scared of Docklands or confused hence the drop in home attendance average, in 2001, when we were reigning premiers we averaged 51789 with 36277 members (an ave home attendance that has only been topped once since, even though we made finals for a few more years after).

Our membership figures have grown since being at Etihad from 2000 why haven’t our home attendances reflected the same?

I believe that Etihad is a factor in our lower attendance numbers, and to put it down to simply performances and the saga and rule out the venue at all is ‘superficial’

Obviously the saga has had an impact, but I still believe we would’ve seen greater growth in attendance numbers over the years if we were not tenants of Etihad.

1 Like

Live tv coverage and increase in ticket prices would play a role too id reckon

Anyone south of the Victorian/NSW border is a Mexican that includes Tasmanians according to the Northerner’s.

And I am an ex Mexican but living in NSW but not a true Northerner.

Well I’m confused

1 Like

Maybe NSW are just slow?

1 Like

Agree
There’s nothing like going to the G