Pushing for more games at the G?

I have to admit that I love playing the lesser teams at Etihad. I live in Geelong so it's convenient whether by train or car. And those rubbish winter nights are great when kicking back with the roof closed.

Saying all that, you can’t beat a 3/4 to completely full MCG!

For a second there I thought you were saying you can’t beat an MCG that is full but not to capacity! :slight_smile:

The G when full is amazing, but Etihad can also have a great atmosphere. To be honest its been awhile since the whole Essendon crowd went nuts at a game. In recent years its been disappointing particularly on the level 3 of Etihad on the wing. Way too many just watch and dont barrack, I remember going to games when we first moved there that had the stadium shaking. Now not so much, but I think the saga and 15 years of so so football will do that.

Playing more at the G has been on the agenda for a few years now but having a stadium deal that expires in 2025 was somewhat restrictive. Now that the AFL has taken the keys to Etihad Stadium, perhaps that restriction is no longer applicable? To my knowledge, the club has felt for a few years now that another home MCG game was necessary against the likes of Hawthorn or Geelong who we’ve had to play at Etihad as a result of playing Melbourne at the G (I believe this was tied to the clash jumper issue).

Personally, I’d love us to play a 7-4 split of home games (with the 7 being at the G). Doubt we’ll get to that stage any time soon though.

Unless we can consistently fill etihad we really have no right to be asking for more games at the G.

45k fans at etihad is an awesome atmosphere. 45k at the mcg is good but not great.

Few more nights like v West Coast at Etihad in 2007 with 48,913 in the house and I’ll be quite happy to keep playing games there.

Unless we can consistently fill etihad we really have no right to be asking for more games at the G.

45k fans at etihad is an awesome atmosphere. 45k at the mcg is good but not great.
sounds empty and will mean we will have to put tarps on half of the bays like Port Adelaide did, making us look like unsupported paupers.

1 Like

I got ■■■■■■ sucked in and read the article before I saw who wrote it.

Won’t be doing that again.

If we left Etihad the AFL would be in a massive ■■■■. IMHO we are looking to maximise our sweetheart deal and the AFL are desperate to keep us there.

If we left Etihad the AFL would be in a massive ■■■■. IMHO we are looking to maximise our sweetheart deal and the AFL are desperate to keep us there.

So this is the reason the club caved and danced to the tune of the afl. Only half joking, I would not put it past gil and co to bring up something like that in negotiations.

ROYAL.

Cricketers … if you have class…

Playing more at the G has been on the agenda for a few years now but having a stadium deal that expires in 2025 was somewhat restrictive. Now that the AFL has taken the keys to Etihad Stadium, perhaps that restriction is no longer applicable? To my knowledge, the club has felt for a few years now that another home MCG game was necessary against the likes of Hawthorn or Geelong who we've had to play at Etihad as a result of playing Melbourne at the G (I believe this was tied to the clash jumper issue).

Personally, I’d love us to play a 7-4 split of home games (with the 7 being at the G). Doubt we’ll get to that stage any time soon though.

Having to play games that draw 60K at a 50K stadium because Melbourne’s jumper clashes with ours is peak AFL.

Few more nights like v West Coast at Etihad in 2007 with 48,913 in the house and I'll be quite happy to keep playing games there.

When was the last time we played a full house at etihad. Hawthorn or Geelong in 2013?

Few more nights like v West Coast at Etihad in 2007 with 48,913 in the house and I'll be quite happy to keep playing games there.

When was the last time we played a full house at etihad. Hawthorn or Geelong in 2013?

Yep that Cats game was over 50k; not as sure about Hawthorn, I think it was 50 or just under.

The game against brisbane last season was really full.

Playing more at the G has been on the agenda for a few years now but having a stadium deal that expires in 2025 was somewhat restrictive. Now that the AFL has taken the keys to Etihad Stadium, perhaps that restriction is no longer applicable? To my knowledge, the club has felt for a few years now that another home MCG game was necessary against the likes of Hawthorn or Geelong who we've had to play at Etihad as a result of playing Melbourne at the G (I believe this was tied to the clash jumper issue).

What has the clash jumper got to do with it?

What has the clash jumper got to do with it?

I think it’s something like us not wanting to wear a clash too often and Melbourne not wanting to play etihad. Us playing home games against them at the G satisfied both.

Adelaide play 11 games on a ground that holds less than Etihad, yet they average more attendance per game than us.
Hawthorn play three crappy games in Tasmania yet still average more than us.
Adelaide don’t have a guaranteed 95k+ fixture holding their figures up either. Hawks do with the Easter Monday fixture.

If we fill Etihad more often, we’ll get more games at the G and maybe even less interstate games.

But crying that we deserve more games at the MCG when the highest attendance we got at Etihad was 35k but the rest of the games were under 30k is just ridiculous.

2 Likes

Why are we discussing attendances?? Wouldn’t the move be more so we can play on the ground we play our finals at thus increasing our chances, better prep better understanding of the ground?

Making more money is good but winning Premierships is what we need.

Adelaide play 11 games on a ground that holds less than Etihad, yet they average more attendance per game than us. Hawthorn play three crappy games in Tasmania yet still average more than us. Adelaide don't have a guaranteed 95k+ fixture holding their figures up either. Hawks do with the Easter Monday fixture.

If we fill Etihad more often, we’ll get more games at the G and maybe even less interstate games.

But crying that we deserve more games at the MCG when the highest attendance we got at Etihad was 35k but the rest of the games were under 30k is just ridiculous.

Super post

Adelaide play 11 games on a ground that holds less than Etihad, yet they average more attendance per game than us. Hawthorn play three crappy games in Tasmania yet still average more than us. Adelaide don't have a guaranteed 95k+ fixture holding their figures up either. Hawks do with the Easter Monday fixture.

Super post

Our attendances would rise at the G irrespective of the arguments above.

Etihad became on the nose for a few reasons. People got jacked off when they brought in ticketed seats for the entire stadium a few years ago. Irrespective of this you can only now sit 3rd level as general public and this is only from half way back in the stands, whereas at the G, the bottom level in the Ponsford and top level on the fence is available (in multiple stands) with plenty of space.

I prefer the G for this reason. Better seats, better viewing options for free.

The fact Etihad is like this gives it a great corporate feel and is more comfortable on an unsavoury day but alienates the general public, especially when there are huge numbers of empty seats below in a great viewing area.