Queen Elizabeth II to King Charles III

Indirectly.
I wouldn’t want the circus that is the US model. We should have voted in the republican model proposed back in the 1999 (?) referendum.

Agree. It made sense. The idea of electing the president won’t work unless the field of possible candidates is restricted. As it is in Ireland.

2 Likes

And tell Phil Cleary to keep his head right out of it.

He played right into Howard’s hands. No need to elect a president who has little political power unless, like Ireland, it is a distinguished figure selected by a small group.

Everyone should be backing away from a system that could elect someone like Trump.

3 Likes

Not even indirectly. Our current head of state is Charlie Battenberg.

No. Which, politically, Is actually what makes it a reasonably good system imo.

3 Likes

Oh yeah. Whoops.

Agree 100%.

His pitch was utterly illogical. He said, “Keep the politicians out of the choice of president! Direct vote by the people!”

That is one of the most stupid things I have ever heard. If there’s a election to a political position, even a currently largely ceremonial one like Governor-General, who are the candidates? Who stands for positions like that.

Politicians stand for election. That’s what politicians do. Would Zelman Cowan have stood for election as president of Australia? Would William Deane? Would Quentin Bryce? Just to name a few.

I don’t think so.

2 Likes

Battenberg.

1 Like

Things were much better under the Sachsen-Coburg-Gothas.

I prefer the way it was under the House of Wessex.

1 Like

That Ed really knew how to get things done.

Although York was a thriving tourist destination during that time, he can’t really take credit for that.

1 Like

Where the white rose blooms.
Yorkshire dumplings triumphed over Lancashire hotpots

2 Likes

York is still a thriving tourist destination, though back in the day when they used to display heads on pikes on top of Micklegate bar, I’d imagine the tourist draw for the morbid spectacle was highly enthusiastic. Good times.

1 Like

You’re right of course. A hill not a town. Correction made.

Should’ve stuck with the Plantagenets. The Tudors were junk.

1 Like

qv post 1465

Saxe-Coburg Gotha. It’s actually the current royal family. The name was changed to Windsor by George V in 1917.

A very underated show. My kids loved it. I’d happily settle in and watch it with them.

1 Like

They were Welsh…

Phil the Greek wasn’t Sax-Coburg and Gotha.

1 Like