Re: Indigenous Support at EFC

Pre Covid, the club did take a playing group ( including Tippa) to the Tiwis and elsewhere in the NT. IIRC, it wasn’t a one-off, built into the program
The club also has a grassroots program for young urban indigenous. iDK about programs in Victoria where indigenous are significantly represented in the population, like Shepp and around the Murray.

2 Likes

I wasnt aware of this

It was some time ago.
A while back also, there were quite a few Brisbane players allegedly involved in something bad. In the end, it came down to only one Brisbane player charged and IIRC convicted.

1 Like

There was a show on the ABC re players indiscretions in the AFL many years ago.

They did one on NRL players as well a few years ago, the NRL public were up in arms saying that they should do one on AFL players as well, silly them, they had already done one.

2 Likes

Think you are talking about a seperate incident.
There was one in London with the 4 Brisbane players and the one in Adelaide with Swans/Port players

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2004-03-20/oloughlin-confirms-hes-third-accused/156212

3 Likes

We have reached out to both Adam & Brett Goodes, about getting involved with the club.

Both were not interested.

1 Like

All I remember was the mother of one of them ( who I knew as an acquaintance) was beside herself. I didn’t like to pry, just wished a good outcome for her.

if only he was a top up.

could have played on like kelly.

Yeah it’s happened a few times. We put an offer in for both Goodes’, when the players were suspended.

They didn’t want to come out of retirement.

So your judging Micky O as a grub based on one night out on the ■■■■ with Adam Hueskes that ended badly when he was 21?

I think that’s pretty harsh and I’m sure he regrets not stepping in.

He’s done a lot of good things Micky.

Regardless can’t really see him going to Essendon.

He is on the Sydney Swans board and runs a foundation with Goodesy already for indigenous youth.

2 Likes

Im not going to go into it but there was a lot more involvement than “just a night out”
Absolutely disgusting stuff

1 Like

Either way.

Whatever you know or don’t and how true it is, he’s done pretty well since in terms of what he does for the indigenous community.

I’m not doubting that what he has done for the indigenous lads is great but I just don’t want him near our club

2 Likes

As a board member of a rival and ex premiership play of theirs I can’t see him being available tbh.

And he’s got bigger fish to fry in terms of social impact than hanging out at the bombers.

Calling him a grub is up there with the slurs that were printed about Uncle Jack in his obituary.

And you’re talking about an incident he claimed his biggest crime was not stepping in and stopping others from doing the wrong thing.(afaik that was his story). Nearly 20 years ago.

Mind you I do know he loves a beer or 8 Micky.

He comes from indigenous royalty with a proud heritage, a different background from Goodes or Eddie Betts moving around and living on the fringe of a white society.
Not sure whether the Barak featured on the notes is O’Loughlin’s ancestor, but I remember a program where his great grandfather or whoever wrote a translation of languages or a dictionary.
BTW. What is Andrew McLeod doing these days?
Also Des Headland who was an impressive communicator in in the docos on Goodes?

Why does it have to be an indigenous person with an AFL background ? Why can’t it be an indigenous person who has the right skill set for the role - I find it worrying that some pigeon-hole people for specific roles which seems to be what we should be avoiding.

3 Likes

The club already employs indigenous staff, not an employment pre- requisite to have been AFL players.
The issue is their authority within the club and whether they can take matters up the line. As in any organisation staff at lower levels are not encouraged to rock the boat.
The AFLPA has finally bitten the bullet in being pro-active on indigenous issues and has introduced a structure to get there.
There is a need across clubs to coordinate and have in place someone in charge who can command respect, be listened to and get things actioned.

1 Like

Well this thread is littered with posters suggesting names of ex players.

Id give some serious thought to offering Courtney Ugle the job.

6 Likes