"Re-integration"

We’ve heard Woosha talk a little bit about ‘reintegrating’ the banned players back into the club and training over the coming weeks and months as their penalties expire and they’re allowed back. I’ve been thinking of what an enormous task this is for the coach/club/players and all involved, it’s another unprecedented situation to get through and that we must get right.

Imagine being at training and being someone like a Craig Bird, who’s running around probably getting a fair bit of it at training. Having to adjust to some midfield guns coming in and taking over the joint again would be a big shock, whether we like it or not. These guys are 12 of our most experienced players and most of them are big guns.

While I’d like to think that the prospect of them all relishing the challenge and go up another gear collectively, it is realistic that the results will vary. Will Bellchambers be training at a very high level with Leunberger at the club, how do others deal with moving down the pecking order a fair bit. I know guys like Parish and Zerrett will just relish it and go to the next level. Then it’s the other way around where it may take some time for the guys coming back to get back into the flow of things.

One of the toughest orders in football is ahead in this coming pre-season, I’m hoping that we come out the other side a real threat to the finals next season. We need to make some big calls at seasons end first. Thoughts?

Craig Bird played alongside guys like Jude Bolton, Brett Kirk, Luke Parker, Dan Hannebery etc;

He will be fine.

Bird and Bellchambers were training with these guys for2 months before they were banned. Nothing to worry about. I’m sure Bird would rather take his chances to play in a side that has a chance to win most weeks…as he was used to with the swans

Maybe I should be more general instead of singling these guys out. My point is imagine when you guys were part of a junior sporting club - and the impact of having such a big chunk of the playing group come in and the difference it would make in both a positive and negative manner on individuals…

Just some slight changes to the pecking order in the barnyard. These guys are mostly grown men. I think they will be able to handle it. Besides, the influx of good players is probably better than losing every week for 13 weeks.

It will be a big change.

Nothing can stop it from happening though, so they all need to make their peace with it and go out and win the flag.

The thing is majority of the guys in the team now have trained with the 12 before they got suspended i think it will be fine. the problem i see is the team could be sluggish in the first few rounds after missing a year of footy.

Anyone who takes it as a negative, you don’t want in the team anyway.

I would hope with all AFL players, considering they are both professional athletes and extremely well paid, that having guys come into a squad that lift the standards acts as an incentive to work harder and not a reason to sulk and complain. Anyone who sulks about it is what I’d consider a ‘lazy footballer’.

I get your point. No doubt there will be some challenges and a teething period to re-establish things. For instance, there will have been some young leaders emerge from the pack this year too who should be encouraged to continue to show this even when the senior players return.
Then there is the purely on field dynamics of the altered pecking order in each part of the ground. But that will all sort itself out.

The effect of a year out of the game for many of them has its own intrigues from a psychological, conditioning and game sense perspectives. I don’t think we can expect all those returning to just seamlessly resume normal transmission.

2017 promises to be an intriguing season.

Good thread. I hope they can get it right, obviously they want to welcome the returning players but also show them that the club has moved on and improved while they were away.

Im sure the players are still in contact with each other and there will be a few catch up coffees and beers as well as official pre season activities.

Maybe the whole club should head overseas for a chunk of pre-season, or maybe just be professionals and make it clear that everyone has to earn their spot through fitness tests and training, following team rules etc. If Dyson is our new captain then it shouldnt be decided/announced until after he has proven himself throughout the pre season.

We won’t know what that pecking order is until round 1 2017. Until then all players have the opportunity to put forward their case for selection. I doubt the coach will do anything other than be objective.

I think it will be a huge positive. A year of losing is tough on any club… and we had a pretty tough season last year too… very easy for guys to become really focussed on their own stuff rather than team structures etc etc. I think the injection of the ‘12/10/8’ will be really exciting for everyone around the club and help lift the spirits going into the off season.

Most of the returning guys are popular figures around the club and well known… so should give the younger blokes a bit of confidence of what they can achieve next year. Also heard a lot of the current players talking about making this year count so the club is in a ‘better’ position when the banned players get back. I really think this is a message, started by Woosha, that has really resonated with the playing group. If the banned players come back and handle it the right way (and I expect they will - they are all classy blokes) and acknowledge what the young guys have done and top ups etc… then I think it could actually be a really cleansing period for the club.

The difficulty probably comes next year when Round 1 selections are close and some of the returning blokes may be down the pecking order and not cope well or a young guy that thought he had done enough gets overlooked and gets a bit put out or whatever. Personally I don’t think it will be a huge issue due to the personality of the guys returning.

The sense of hope and belief that next year could be a really great year onfield and free of saga BS should create a really good buzz about the place.

Good thread. I hope they can get it right, obviously they want to welcome the returning players but also show them that the club has moved on and improved while they were away.

Im sure the players are still in contact with each other and there will be a few catch up coffees and beers as well as official pre season activities.

Maybe the whole club should head overseas for a chunk of pre-season, or maybe just be professionals and make it clear that everyone has to earn their spot through fitness tests and training, following team rules etc. If Dyson is our new captain then it shouldnt be decided/announced until after he has proven himself throughout the pre season.

Good post. Although I disagree about the captaincy. During a preseason you need a captain to push and encourage all his team mates. Obviously a leadership group does that too but in my eyes a captain needs to be appointed for the start of the preseason just to set the standard and work ethic. Especially for the kids that get drafted. They need someone within the playing group that they can go up to and talk to. Don’t know who the captain will be… probably hepps but it needs to be decided for the preseason.

The ultimate dream is all the suspended players come back to the club and we will move forward with massive momentum and postivity. In some ways Jobe will be key to this in the spiritual sense. That aside if we can retain the main core we can still be optimistic. Aka Hurley.

I think all the young guys will be fired up to show how they have grown and the returning players rejuvenated and ready to prove something as well.

The biggest issue I see is getting match simulation into the best 22 prior to the season proper. The list is developing right now in its own way so it will be a new start in 2017. I almost think we could actually use the preseason cup thing whatever it’s called to do this. Actually play the best 22 more or less especially considering half of them have had a year off. Try find a grove coming into the season.

Our biggest issue might be a slow start but if we can keep Hurley at a minimum we are on the up.

Also this year will help create selection issues next year which is always the sign of a good list versus I guess he gets a game because we dont have anyone else. Depth, I think we are getting there!

I wonder if it be just like missing 12 months with a knee injury or something. You work your way back and when match fit you are ready to go. It might be round 2 or 3 - it is a long season

We have so many superstar premiership players coming back.

Jokes we haven’t won a final.

Bird and Bellchambers were training with these guys for2 months before they were banned. Nothing to worry about. I'm sure Bird would rather take his chances to play in a side that has a chance to win most weeks......as he was used to with the swans

Maybe at training theyll light a fircracker up his azs and set it off just in time for him to do something in the last couple of games for the season.
At the moment he is borderline spudworthy for centre half bench next season.

We won't know what that pecking order is until round 1 2017. Until then all players have the opportunity to put forward their case for selection. I doubt the coach will do anything other than be objective.

I thought in another thread they have picked their blended team for next season. Isn’t that a preliminary pecking order? Maybe they should rename that thread.

It’s a problem I dearly want the Essendon Football Club to have!