Return of The Reserves

Maybe three sides.

AFL
AFL 2s
And a 3rds team in the SANFL

No the Port in the SANFL would be out

Note to self: Must not get drunk before the seniors even starts.

2 Likes

Wow thats huge. What would that do to magpies fans who never jumped on the Power?

List expanision is interesting. What number would work 55-60? and how many of those would be 2ā€™s only?

Integrity of the comp is shot currently. 8 teams playing with a $350k salary cap whilst the two AFL sides trot out sides worth 10-20 times that. The AFL sides havenā€™t dominated completely due to them treating the comp as a practice comp. Usually around finals their players go off for surgery and donā€™t bother playing finals and winning isnā€™t their key priority so it is luck of the draw when sides get them. Some games they have 20 AFL listed players other days 12-14 just depending on how many emergencies they take with them or whether they hold players back if the SANFL game is the day before their AFL fixture. We have had games where Port or the Crows are 5 goals up at 3/4 time and they start stuffing around or taking guys off the field and coaches leaving at 3/4 time.
Crowds have dropped drastically since their inclusion

2 Likes

Bugger all of them are remaining. Their zone has already been given to Norwood a few years ago and their crowds are woeful now

ALL%203

2 Likes

Would the seniors still come out and kick footys around in their suits?

3 Likes

Hereā€™s an interesting one. If this happened and you were Matt Guelfi circa 2017, where would you want to play to try and get drafted? In the 2s comp as a top up player under the nose of other clubs and in their training systems, or in the WAFL where you play a more competitive brand of football, play a more integral role for your club, against bigger bodies and arguably at a slightly better standard?

I actually love this.
Maybe have the winners of the rep side carnivals too.

Iā€™m not sure thereā€™s a market for 20-odd weeks of reserves and there will be difficulties clearing enough grounds for weekly curtain raisers (esp. in Melbourne) but for a cup style tournament, I think you could make it work.

I should know what youā€™re talking about with rep sides, but I donā€™t.
I wonder if you could get a NT state side involved.

This will just ruin everything I love about the VFL experience.

3 Likes

Two constants on blitz. This post and hating journalists if they mention Essendon.

Faaarrrrrk Carlton.

1 Like

And nice red uniforms
ā€¦
And a fanatical devotion to the Pope.

I bet no-one expected that.

1 Like

Iā€™d rather be watching games at Windy Hill, Arden St, Victoria Park, Whitten Oval with $5 cans and a sausage sizzle than rocking up to a game 3 hours early to sit in an empty stadium at 11am and sit there for 6 hours.

Also dogs wonā€™t be able to go.

5 Likes

Theyā€™ll still do that. Not every game will be a curtain raiser.

1 Like

All the suburban leagues (EFL, EDFL, VAFA, GFL etc) pick rep sides, who play off in a little round robin tournament mid year. Basically only for bragging rights.

1 Like

Iā€™d love to see a curtain raiser, but killing the VFL isnā€™t the greatest way to go about it. Iā€™d be just as happy to see U18 or AFLW before a match and keep the VFL experience out in the suburbs with cheap food and a kick at half time- the way is meant to be.

2 Likes