Review thread: Bears

Kids are great. Seasoned guys are shocking.

6 Likes

4 likes and change for stallion

we are a team of stupid footballers

If there’s a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.

Essington could be a wonderful effing place
I can see it from the highway and I’m wondering
Are they effing in their yards?
Effing in their cars?
Effing in the trailers in the back roads and the parking lots
Of Essington? Making my way to Normal, Illinois.

Maybe I should ditch this little white rental on the interstate,
Start a new effing life in Essington.
I could change my name, grow a beard, start a family
Or I could just keep on moving on, moving on, moving on, moving on
And not stop 'til I get to Normal.

I want to live in Essington.
I want to die there too.
Please bury me in Essington
In Essington, in Essington, oh

I’ve got this movie in my mind of Essington
And the soundtrack to it sounds like this

I want to die there too.

If there’s a God he is laughing at us
And our football team.

And then the people who live in Normal
Can buy the movies that I’ll make in Essington
That’s what Normal people do
Do Normal people do it too?
Normal people do it, people do it, people do it

I want to die there too.

In Essington, in Essington, in Essington!

4 Likes

I honestly don’t know how you only go at 1.2 kicks per handball in a ■■■■■■■ thunderstorm on a mudheap. Lions were 1.8-2 kicks per handball all night, and surprise surprise, they got the ball forward and generated f50 entries while we didn’t.

Dumb, just dumb.

12 Likes

How was fagan whinging about the umps all day?
You forgot last years game you flog?

Couldn’t have said it better myself

Going to be a wet winter, we won’t get near either of those two sides. Don’t let yourself get sucked in

Archie will be something special

Cannon::
Langford
Dev
Hep

I don’t care who for. Just send a message.

10 Likes

When will we ever learn wet weather football? We lose all composure as soon as it starts to rain.

If Devon Smith was playing a lock down role on Rich then he was worst on tonight.

11 Likes

so instead of blocking nino, so you know you dont’ have to put up with him, you post your sanctimonious piece of crap not ONCE, but TWICE, to i guess make fun of him.

why don’t you go to bigfooty, so you don’t have to put up with nino, and we don’t have to put up with you ■■■■■■■■ about nino ? :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

We got thrashed playing wet weather football.

We got well beaten playing “dry” weather football.

Brisbane had us under the pump all night and we were never able to have control of the footy.

We couldn’t get a loose man so it was always kicking to a contest - which we invariably lost.

As for forward entries - really poor with no system to create a clear and free target. Or at least have the numbers around the loose ball.

At least it was anther game into the kids. Cox continues to impress and Perkins got to play on Neale which will be invaluable.

Reckon it was a game we got nothing out of.

8 Likes

Also poor selection of our primary mids in the early heavy rain. Should have put bigger bodies in the midfield at the start. Langford, Hepp, Snelling, Stringer, Tippa guys who won’t get bullied because they are not twigs.

4 Likes

Agree, the lack of thought put into Daniel Rich is scary going forward.

Wet night, you’d think shutting down a raking left boot off half back would be a focus…instead the bloke sets a record for metres gained.

2 Likes

I thought we made a big statement about being a development year this year which will probably cost us Merrett and maybe Parish (and maybe that’s ok).

Failed to play wet weather footy in the first quarter, to be that far down in torrential rain is an outlier. Andrews and Rich were unbelievable, McCarthy was better… a freak in the conditions.

For the rest of the game we were a couple of goals a quarter worse. They were cleaner, harder and better, but we had a lot of kids in.

Senior players disappointing especially Heppell, Smith, Stringer. Need more from those guys. But why we didn’t tag Rich and Neale when every other team has is beyond me.

Seeing Perkins play a quarter in the guts with Cox in the ruck tells me this is a true development year. Whether Merrett and Parish will tolerate it is another question

11 Likes

Bland, unimaginative performance which was lost in team selection. Guelfi shouldn’t have been dropped in the first place, but when the heavens opened up like that they should’ve dropped Jones and brought Guelf in. Nothing against the kid but light-bodied tall forwards do not fare well in those conditions.

The match was all too predicatable. No tag on Neale, he gets 38 and kicks 2 goals. Nobody puts any time into Rich. Gets 31 (28 kicks). And most disappointing of all, we did nothing to make Daniher feel uncomfortable playing against his old team. No emotion from us, nobody getting involved in a scrap. It was just sterile, limp and just a massive amount of nothingness. Best part of the night was Archie’s game, looked really good, composed, and got better as the game wore on. Reid shows signs but he’s got a lot of work in the gym to do. Hooker was amazing, 4 of our 6 goals, the old workhorse getting it done in trying conditions for forwards. Big 7 days between now and Anzac Day. The boys better butter up and recover from that slog.

16 Likes

Nino lives rent free in some you ■■■■■’ heads

Also I think we are really seriously truly and definitely a shithouse team. Not news really. Kind of thought we’d be bottom 4 anyway. But it’s just scary that the guys who we SHOULD be relying on are the most unreliable guys we have.

10 Likes

Felt like we needed more commentary about the Berry brothers replacing each other. Was really insightful. Thanks Hamish

7 Likes

Agree - has done it for years and in the conditions tonight.