Review Thread: Dons v Cats

Always gonna happen against a strong Cats side I guess.

A load of horse bollocks…

Fixed.

Fark me, I usually don’t respond to the negative nellies in this forum, but you are a major drop kick and in the future I am just going to regard you as a troll.

I am pretty sure we put out a young team who are still trying to find their feet as a team against a well oiled senior AFL team that has had a whole pre-season to gel (not to mention the other years of playing together) and you are wondering what Worsfold is doing. Did you not notice we have had 12 senior players suspended and we have had 10 players brought in to top up the team?

You whine why doesn’t he try other game plans… well maybe because they are still trying to sort out the main one and the NAB cup is not time to be playing around with other plans when you are still trying to get your players to remember each others names. This is a time to get some conditioning into the players and if you are thinking that it is anything else other than that then you are a fwit.

I saw some great play from some of the younger players today that shows they can play and will get better with more games pumped into them.

I thought Langford on the ball was good, his hands are great and I don’t think I saw him fumble a ground ball pick up. He finds time and space when he does have the ball and generally selects good targets and hits them. He is going to be a very good players for us.

Laverde before his ankle injury was good. He is starting to show some signs of using his strength and size to effect. Only going to get better.

Walla crashing bodies till the cows come home, hitting packs and spoiling marks. Great composure when he has the ball and hits targets. That hit on Dangerfield was brilliant.

McKenna is getting better with each game. His hand and foot skills are very good, more games equals more experience.

Hartley battled hard, but against a premiership winning full forward he was always going to have his work cut out for him.

We will be better when we bring some more experience back in, but realistically we are going to be up against it each week, but that is just what we have to deal with this year. Pumping games into the players who deserve it and sorting out who is going to go forward 2017 and beyond.

you can consider me whatever the ■■■■ you want, if it helps you sleep at night.

what do you consider the preseason to be about though, out of curiosity ?

you go on to point out exactly the ■■■■■■■ reason why we should be trialling new and different gameplans, you know kids, suspended players, well oiled opposition, meaningless preseason game, then want to pot me for suggesting it’s a perfect time to, you know try something different ?

you also mention we are gonna be up against it all year, you knwo cos suspended players. no ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ sherlock, so that is why you ■■■■■■■ TRY DIFFERENT ■■■■■■■ WAYS TO STOP TEAMS SLAUGHTERING US during the season, in meaningless ■■■■■■ games.

you’ve pretty much said the exact same things as me, but added bits of play that i didn’t put in my original post, but could see just as well as you.

but hey, the preseason isn’t the time to try new things is it, no it’s better to try and fix things halfway through the year, that’s the best time to change stuff isn’t it.

essentially it comes down to this. We have to find ways this year to either win some games or limit the damage. going one on one across the field is not going to work to well for us this year, for the same ■■■■■■■ reasons you listed, just like i did (funny how i say it i’m a troll, you say it, you’re what exactly ?)

If you’re not going to test anything different than one on one, well I don’t see the point, it’s just a waste of the potential to develop and find new and different ways to win.

see you call me a troll for wanting us to try to learn new techniques to win, whether they turn out to be successful or not, yet i’m the negative one, all because I want them to change their approach, according to the situation at hand.

not often people add DP to their ignore list, most of the time its the other way around.

although i somewhat agree with him, but not as doom and gloom, just think we’ll be ■■■■ for 3-4 years regardless of top ups, and returning players.

You really don’t. There’s negative, then there’s just being a moon unit.

You have to believe a side with 4 debutants and another 4 guys playing game #2 - not to mention the other 8 or so with under 10 games for the club), is not ‘trying something new’.

You have to believe that after 1 whole game for the year (with half a dozen new players in the side), you’d get more out of trying to invent a plan B than getting a 3rd hour of actual footy into plan A

You have to believe stuff like ‘trading off our better players would make us a better side’. You know, get rid of all of Stanton, Heppell, Myers, Howlett and Hocking (but not, for some reason, Jobe, who’s never chased anyone down in his life) - to make us a better side. As long as they’re trying new things, never mind if something’s already working.

It’s not the negativity, heaps of people here are just as negative. In fact the people taking issue with DP are pretty much pointing out a team of VFL players and kids got beaten by a pretty much full-strength team who’ll likely finish top 8; who’s the negative one again?
It’s the ‘logic’ behind it - or lack thereof - that gets to me.

And the fact that he has pedalled basically the same line (plus sack Stanton) for over a decade, regardless of personnel or situation.

a broken shattered clock can still be right once when the planets align.

side i’d like to see this weekend

bags hartley gwilt/Francis
Kelly brown gleeson

zaha BJ fantasia
berger/jamar crowley zerret

jmerrett JD laverde
Smack Grimley Kommer

parish stokes langford tippa demps conor

Laverde probably doesn’t get up so cooney probably gets another run. any idea on whether stokes/kelly are fit enough yet?

Bit bored during lunch... so thought I'd line the stats up against each other for both games (as completely useless as that is).

Carlton v Essendon / Essendon v Geelong

Disposals
234 v 374 / 234 v 314

Free Kicks
22 v 31 / 20 v 23

Clearances - Centre
5 v 8 / 9 v 11

Clearances - Stoppages
18 v 27 / 13 v 23

Inside 50s
31 v 54 / 29 v 48

Marks Inside 50
2 v 11 / 3 v 14

Contested Possessions
100 v 120 / 86 v 110

Tackles
59 v 58 / 57 v 49

Hit-outs
31 v 35 / 20 v 27

Soooo, while the game was much shortened, still some interesting results. Appears that we have some ability to get our hands on the ball out of the centre, which is surprising. We’re tackling ok. Free kicks have been pretty even, and most of ours are ruck related. They got more of the ball on the weekend than we did, but were far more efficient with it than we were the previous week v FC.

Carlton were playing kids, and Geelong has been a poor contested side for the last few years. Yes Danger played, but Selwood didn’t.

I wouldn’t read much in to stats.

Not sure I understand the need for Worsfold to try another game plan.

Surely his game plan is already another game plan. Let’s give it a bit more than 6 quarters before we call for it to be changed shall we.

What are you, from the real world or something?

From the listed side, Jamar, Michael, Long, Grimley, Brown, Hartley, Simpkin, Bird, Dea, Morgan & Walla (= 11 dudes), are in game 1 or 2 for the club.
To add to that, Conor, SMack, Laverde, Langford, Fanta, Edwards, Ashby and Hams (= 8 blokes) have played 10 games or less (and Cooney’s only played 11).

Ie 20 dudes - almost the whole ■■■■■■ side - are basically still learning their way around the club.

Add a new coach & almost completely new coaching panel, Captain/vice captain, freaking CEO & President.

Only Kommer, Ambrose, Gleeson, Dempsey & Baguley on field (and Egan, Harvey & Skipworth off field) have been at the club more than 5 minutes.

So yeah, clearly what we need is more change. After all we’ve had 2 whole pre-season games and not won any flags at all.
Idiocy.

not often people add DP to their ignore list, most of the time its the other way around.

although i somewhat agree with him, but not as doom and gloom, just think we’ll be ■■■■ for 3-4 years regardless of top ups, and returning players.

You have to believe a side with 4 debutants and another 4 guys playing game #2 - not to mention the other 8 or so with under 10 games for the club), is not ‘trying something new’.

You have to believe that after 1 whole game for the year (with half a dozen new players in the side), you’d get more out of trying to invent a plan B than getting a 3rd hour of actual footy into plan A

You have to believe stuff like ‘trading off our better players would make us a better side’. You know, get rid of all of Stanton, Heppell, Myers, Howlett and Hocking (but not, for some reason, Jobe, who’s never chased anyone down in his life) - to make us a better side. As long as they’re trying new things, never mind if something’s already working.

It’s not the negativity, heaps of people here are just as negative. In fact the people taking issue with DP are pretty much pointing out a team of VFL players and kids got beaten by a pretty much full-strength team who’ll likely finish top 8; who’s the negative one again?

And the fact that he has pedalled basically the same line (plus sack Stanton) for over a decade, regardless of personnel or situation.

The last three weeks suggest Geelong > Essendon AFL > Essendon VFL > Weitering > Auskick Under 9s > Fark Carlton.

Sounds right to me.

Fixed
I didn't want to speculate. The VFL team got within 20 or so points of the AFL one, unlike Fark Carlton, so that part was a fair call.

I do think that’s a bit harsh on the Under 9s, though. Don’t fall for the media spin.

The last three weeks suggest Geelong > Essendon AFL > Essendon VFL > Weitering > Auskick Under 9s > Fark Carlton.

Sounds right to me.

Fixed

hows the practice match game review coming along?

Bit bored during lunch… so thought I’d line the stats up against each other for both games (as completely useless as that is).

Carlton v Essendon / Essendon v Geelong

Disposals
234 v 374 / 234 v 314

Free Kicks
22 v 31 / 20 v 23

Clearances - Centre
5 v 8 / 9 v 11

Clearances - Stoppages
18 v 27 / 13 v 23

Inside 50s
31 v 54 / 29 v 48

Marks Inside 50
2 v 11 / 3 v 14

Contested Possessions
100 v 120 / 86 v 110

Tackles
59 v 58 / 57 v 49

Hit-outs
31 v 35 / 20 v 27

Soooo, while the game was much shortened, still some interesting results. Appears that we have some ability to get our hands on the ball out of the centre, which is surprising. We’re tackling ok. Free kicks have been pretty even, and most of ours are ruck related. They got more of the ball on the weekend than we did, but were far more efficient with it than we were the previous week v FC.

The last three weeks suggest Geelong > Essendon AFL > Essendon VFL > Fark Carlton.

Sounds right to me.

It’s the pre-season, it’s largely meaningless. We have no real idea how any of these sides will go at this point, beyond the basic expectation that Geelong will be better than both, and that Essendon and Carlton will be some of the worst teams going around.

I still think Geelong will be pushing lower eight, but that’s mostly just opinion.

The last three weeks suggest Geelong > Essendon AFL > Essendon VFL > Fark Carlton.

Sounds right to me.

Lol. Although I’d take out the EFC AFL part of that. … or at least amend it to 1/2 AFL.

Surely his game plan is already another game plan. Let’s give it a bit more than 6 quarters before we call for it to be changed shall we.

But we lost a pre-season game! We failed! Burn it down and start again!

Sounds right to me.

A load of horse bollocks…

Fixed.

you can consider me whatever the ■■■■ you want, if it helps you sleep at night. Boohoo, cry me a river. I sleep perfectly at night, thanks for caring, part of the joys of living in the bush.

what do you consider the preseason to be about though, out of curiosity ?
Pretty sure that THIS pre-season (as mentioned by the Coach) will be just about getting A GAME PLAN drilled into the players and also about getting run into the players and having them actually playing a game together.

you go on to point out exactly the ■■■■■■■ reason why we should be trialling new and different gameplans, you know kids, suspended players, well oiled opposition, meaningless preseason game, then want to pot me for suggesting it’s a perfect time to, you know try something different ?
The young kids and inexperienced players are exactly the reason why we shouldn’t be trialling different game plans. But you must have done the Clarkson coaching accredited course and so know better than Woosha. Thanks for your insights, Super Coach.

you also mention we are gonna be up against it all year, you knwo cos suspended players. no ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ sherlock, so that is why you ■■■■■■■ TRY DIFFERENT ■■■■■■■ WAYS TO STOP TEAMS SLAUGHTERING US during the season, in meaningless ■■■■■■ games.
Pretty sure that THIS pre-season (as mentioned by the Coach) will be just about getting A GAME PLAN drilled into the players and also about GETTING RUN INTO THE PLAYERS and having them actually PLAYING A GAME TOGETHER. But I may have already stated this.

you’ve pretty much said the exact same things as me, but added bits of play that i didn’t put in my original post, but could see just as well as you.
No, just no. I am not actually sure what you saw.

but hey, the preseason isn’t the time to try new things is it, no it’s better to try and fix things halfway through the year, that’s the best time to change stuff isn’t it.
Well, you are the Super Coach, so it must be so or it could just be that these players playing together for the first time and under a game plan for the first time IS THE NEW THING?!? But again you must be right and we should have trialled a few of the other game plans so the kids get totally confused.

essentially it comes down to this. We have to find ways this year to either win some games or limit the damage. going one on one across the field is not going to work to well for us this year, for the same ■■■■■■■ reasons you listed, just like i did (funny how i say it i’m a troll, you say it, you’re what exactly ?)
Going one on one in a meaningless pre-season game is exactly what Woosha wanted so that he can see who will stand up and what he has available at his disposal.

If you’re not going to test anything different than one on one, well I don’t see the point, it’s just a waste of the potential to develop and find new and different ways to win.
Good, if you don’t see the point then hopefully you will go away.

see you call me a troll for wanting us to try to learn new techniques to win, whether they turn out to be successful or not, yet i’m the negative one, all because I want them to change their approach, according to the situation at hand.
I called you a troll because of your endless whining about stuff you have don’t understand in the hope that someone will take the bait and bite back. Guess I am the silly one who did so, but that’s OK because whilst I was waiting for five cakes to bake I used the downtime to clean the kitchen and write this back to you.

I took the time to put some comments against your ranting above. I also ADDED YOU TO MY IGNORE LIST so that I don’t have to read your dribblings any more.

Here is a picture for you to print out and hold close to your heart.

https://s.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/midas/5c9a20087f4ff0613cdfa969829b1142/200945544/internet-troll-eirik-solheim-flickr.jpg

I think we all know their biggest issue would be getting the chief and his boys to leave the comfort of his air conditioned Melbourne studio and drive 2+ hours in the car for the regional games.