Review Thread: Dons v Cats

A load of horse bollocks…

Fixed.

you can consider me whatever the ■■■■ you want, if it helps you sleep at night. Boohoo, cry me a river. I sleep perfectly at night, thanks for caring, part of the joys of living in the bush.

what do you consider the preseason to be about though, out of curiosity ?
Pretty sure that THIS pre-season (as mentioned by the Coach) will be just about getting A GAME PLAN drilled into the players and also about getting run into the players and having them actually playing a game together.

you go on to point out exactly the ■■■■■■■ reason why we should be trialling new and different gameplans, you know kids, suspended players, well oiled opposition, meaningless preseason game, then want to pot me for suggesting it’s a perfect time to, you know try something different ?
The young kids and inexperienced players are exactly the reason why we shouldn’t be trialling different game plans. But you must have done the Clarkson coaching accredited course and so know better than Woosha. Thanks for your insights, Super Coach.

you also mention we are gonna be up against it all year, you knwo cos suspended players. no ■■■■■■■ ■■■■ sherlock, so that is why you ■■■■■■■ TRY DIFFERENT ■■■■■■■ WAYS TO STOP TEAMS SLAUGHTERING US during the season, in meaningless ■■■■■■ games.
Pretty sure that THIS pre-season (as mentioned by the Coach) will be just about getting A GAME PLAN drilled into the players and also about GETTING RUN INTO THE PLAYERS and having them actually PLAYING A GAME TOGETHER. But I may have already stated this.

you’ve pretty much said the exact same things as me, but added bits of play that i didn’t put in my original post, but could see just as well as you.
No, just no. I am not actually sure what you saw.

but hey, the preseason isn’t the time to try new things is it, no it’s better to try and fix things halfway through the year, that’s the best time to change stuff isn’t it.
Well, you are the Super Coach, so it must be so or it could just be that these players playing together for the first time and under a game plan for the first time IS THE NEW THING?!? But again you must be right and we should have trialled a few of the other game plans so the kids get totally confused.

essentially it comes down to this. We have to find ways this year to either win some games or limit the damage. going one on one across the field is not going to work to well for us this year, for the same ■■■■■■■ reasons you listed, just like i did (funny how i say it i’m a troll, you say it, you’re what exactly ?)
Going one on one in a meaningless pre-season game is exactly what Woosha wanted so that he can see who will stand up and what he has available at his disposal.

If you’re not going to test anything different than one on one, well I don’t see the point, it’s just a waste of the potential to develop and find new and different ways to win.
Good, if you don’t see the point then hopefully you will go away.

see you call me a troll for wanting us to try to learn new techniques to win, whether they turn out to be successful or not, yet i’m the negative one, all because I want them to change their approach, according to the situation at hand.
I called you a troll because of your endless whining about stuff you have don’t understand in the hope that someone will take the bait and bite back. Guess I am the silly one who did so, but that’s OK because whilst I was waiting for five cakes to bake I used the downtime to clean the kitchen and write this back to you.

I took the time to put some comments against your ranting above. I also ADDED YOU TO MY IGNORE LIST so that I don’t have to read your dribblings any more.

Here is a picture for you to print out and hold close to your heart.

I will always give a Like to my video, above, even if the sentence accompanying it made no sense.

I am concerned TIPPA is going to kill someone. Bump on Danger was massive. I thought he did a lot of good things.

Byron Pickett like bump

Hardly, Dangerfield wasn’t crouched down picking up the ball.

Almost as good as Abraham bumping Hirdy.

VFL guys call games from VFL games, so it's obviously possible.
Seven have to rent the ABC OB truck to cover that one match a week...

The ABC OB deployment actually comprises a massive truck with a foldout gangway, and 2 smaller support trucks. Its actually massive overkill for a VFL match TBH

Fark me, don’t let the LNP see this. they’ll want to sell it off!

I'm told Blanket is not good in the wet.

Wrong thread.

The ABC OB deployment actually comprises a massive truck with a foldout gangway, and 2 smaller support trucks. Its actually massive overkill for a VFL match TBH

I think you'd get more out of player development, player understanding, seeing how a player responds to pressure etc by leaving Hartley on Hawkins all day with consistent quality ball coming in, rather than flooding the backline with a bunch of kids just to make it messy for the opposition to score in a game at Shep. Didn't see any of the game but it sounds like Hartley got a work out and keeping him to 3 goals isn't too bad. Hawkins often kicks 3 in 3 minutes against us.

that is the flipside to it all, if they handle it well, that’s great.

but again under the extreme prejudice our side is gonna be under this year, should we really be subjecting any one player to that much pressure on gameday ?

Hartley played well, don’t get me wrong, and I’m definately looking forward to seeing him develop this year.

hawkins set up a bit more though than just 2 goals, and as stated with the ease and frequency that the ball came down, hartley was decent. but 2 guys are going to have to shoulder ahell of alot of the defensive burden during this season, think they are going to need added help sooner or later.

personally i’d rather see them trying to set up ways to help them NOW, rather than in round 10 trying to implement strategies to help alleviate any deficiences.

There are some supporters here that are going to have a worse year than others when it comes to footy I think

My expectation is:

1. beat Carlton
  2. beat Carlton
  3. beat Carlton

This will make me happy in 2016.

Vision is scary…

As expected. Some good signs in the second half. And I thought Walla put in hard, The Langford ran with Dangerfield all day and was far from disgraced, Hartley kept Hawkins to 3 when he was getting silver service. No complaints

What are your thoughts (as someone less convinced about him in previous years) on Walla’s progress? Doesn’t seem to be too phased by the step up so far, to my eye.

Ben’s a visionary

Efa

It’s always cheaper to produce from a studio than an “outside broadcast”. The more you do in the studio the cheaper it is. CH7 actually dug a pool in a studio for one show and carted truckloads of dirt into the studio for another. It’s surprising the cost they will go to to avoid an “OB”.

When it comes to sport/football, typically set up is done for all of the grounds e.g. cable laying etc at the start of the season and packed up at the end. They would not want to do this for 1 game particularly a pre-season one if the ground is not used again for broadcast. I left 7 in the late 90’s but this stuff would still apply.

TIPPA started on a guy his height but rotated through taller ones during the game.

Came on 7 minutes into the first two quarters, but started and largely stayed on in the second half.

Not perfect but I’m pretty comfortable with my “I want to believe” posts of the past year or so…

Meh. As a supporter of a club going through the most bizarre and disproportionate set of punishments since the Inquisition I reserve the right to make a big deal out of any positives while largely ignoring any negatives.

Hehe, I think I’m going to use this line to justify anything that I do this year… 'As a supporter of a club going through the most bizarre and disproportionate set of punishments since the Inquisition I reserve the right to come into work hungover on a Monday… etc"

As expected. Some good signs in the second half. And I thought Walla put in hard, The Langford ran with Dangerfield all day and was far from disgraced, Hartley kept Hawkins to 3 when he was getting silver service. No complaints

What are your thoughts (as someone less convinced about him in previous years) on Walla’s progress? Doesn’t seem to be too phased by the step up so far, to my eye.

Early days, but so far so good.
He has worked hard on the things he needed to work on, and I think that is showing.
Glad he’s got the chance.
And I think you are right. Doesn’t seem to be too phased by the step up.
But as with all the kids/rookies, let’s wait until they’ve played a few games against the Hawthorns, and Freos etc, before really making any pronouncements one way or the other.

I was never so much against the guy himself, but the hype that was built up around him here when he was nowhere near the mark.
Sometimes someone has to counterbalances Ben’s public wanking.

Says it all. They've got fifteen channels, but not the resources to actually, you know, produce anything locally.

I’m told Blanket is not good in the wet.

They drafted a Tom Ruggles and a Wylie Buzza in the draft just gone. It's good for footy.

I’m still shattered that one of the indigenous lads, Didymus Blanket, went undrafted.

D’ya miss Didymus?
I wrote an email to fox footy after the Carlton game last week. I asked if the commentators were even at the game.

Funny response I got:

“No, our commentary team were not at the game. Except the boundary rider. However, this is consistent with all games played during the NAB pre-season other than official AFL grounds. Unfortunately at lot of grounds played at during the NAB pre-season don’t have the infrastructure to support the technology we use to broadcast a match. Therefore our commentators are actually calling the game from our studios.”

This is BS. As a former Channel 7 employee who actually worked at football at times quite some time ago, I know it’s BS. The reality is that they could have commentators there if they wanted to but it’s cheaper to have them in the studio. Obviously they missed your point probably deliberately.

VFL guys call games from VFL games, so it’s obviously possible.
I bet if the Fox guys were paid enough they’d find a way, but the Fox business model is all about minimising cost at every turn. I believe most of the content they produce is filmed in little shoebox fixed-camera studios, no producer or camera operator actually there.