Review Thread: Dons v Cats

We were well out classes but I can't see us ever being that low on personnel in an actual game.

I think the question we should be asking is, would we beat Fark Carlton with the team we put in the park this weekend?

Who know’s unless we played them with that team.

Can say though, a mate of my son come over yesterday, (FC supporter) we spoke about the game just a tad, all he said was, ‘thank ■■■■ it wasn’t us that played the Cat’s , would of lost by a thousand point’s and I reckon even though you guy’s had a sh&t team it still would of beaten us’. :slight_smile:

sigh. it is what it is.
sucks but what can ya do.

Said it in the match day thread, however that performance was way to similar to how the team rocked up to play games under hird, specifically top 4 sides.
sure it’s only 2 games into preseason, however 20 odd players who normally would take the field didn’t, and it still happened, which was weird.

Gonna have to have better defensive tactics than that, otherwise teams are just gonna have a field day killing us on the rebound from turnovers, and there are going to be ahell of alot more turnovers this year than we’ve ever had, which is saying something.

disregarding the scoreboard, i’d rate that game as poor. poor planning, poor preperation and poor motivation. this year more than ever we are going to need to be up and about and switched on from the first siren.

however now worsfold has got a first hand glimpse of the main issue we’ve had the last 5 years, hopefully he can start rectifying it as of now.

Just did the numbers, we put out a team with a total of 1030 games experience, Geelong fielded one with 2059 games experience. Their top five players, which doesn’t include Dangerfield had 1002 games experience between them. And commentators talked up how much difference in experience we had last week against FC, which worked out to about 200 games more spread across the squad.

sigh. it is what it is. sucks but what can ya do.

Said it in the match day thread, however that performance was way to similar to how the team rocked up to play games under hird, specifically top 4 sides.
sure it’s only 2 games into preseason, however 20 odd players who normally would take the field didn’t, and it still happened, which was weird.

Gonna have to have better defensive tactics than that, otherwise teams are just gonna have a field day killing us on the rebound from turnovers, and there are going to be ahell of alot more turnovers this year than we’ve ever had, which is saying something.

disregarding the scoreboard, i’d rate that game as poor. poor planning, poor preperation and poor motivation. this year more than ever we are going to need to be up and about and switched on from the first siren.

however now worsfold has got a first hand glimpse of the main issue we’ve had the last 5 years, hopefully he can start rectifying it as of now.

I’m not really sure you understand what you saw.

10/10 regret making the trip to shep.

Would have liked to have seen a more competitive side picked againts the cants but I cant blame Woosha for picking the side he did in the heat.

I would have thought we would be a little bit more competitive, but we did our best… missed 4 easy shots on goals.

sigh. it is what it is. sucks but what can ya do.

I’m not really sure you understand what you saw.

I saw a side come out and perform the same way they have against top four sides for awhile , without alot of the names that produce said output. they just didn’t have the players to mount a meaningful comeback.

It had a similar flow to the freo game of 2013 (bar the comeback and win), 2014 and 15 rd 2 games against the hawks. multiple sydney games, and most geelong games.

Not surprised by today’s result given:

• We come off a 6 day break (the only team asked to do so this NAB challenge) after a warm day last Sunday. Cats had a 6 day break.
  • We rested arguable 6 of our best 8 players from last week, including the core of the midfield: Goddard, Zaharakis, Zach Merrett, Parish, Daniher, Crowley
  • Geelong played a full strength team, leaving out rookies, minus Joel Selwood only. We played all our rookies as well as a couple of top up players in dea (who had a good game I thought) and Jamar who were clearly short of a gallop.

Gleeson needs to fix his kicking when not under pressure, too often misses the mark including 2 easy passes in Q4 that would have resulted in set shots. Runs wells, links well, kicks poorly. Ditto Jackson Merrett.

Dea looked good across HB. Whole defence actually wasn’t bad considering the Cats quick transition. That was the biggest difference in the game after sheer skill level - the Cats pushed back in numbers and outnumbered us in our forward-line when we attacked. Then, when they transitioned forward they were outnumbering us deep in their forward line. That is both a work rate issue and a function of some inexcusable turn overs, often by hand, when we streamed forward.

McKenna showed signs of genius in setting up our first goal early in Q3 providing great run, link player and, most importantly, excellent footskills twice…something Gleeson and Jackson Merrett need to learn from.

We gave away too many ruck frees…given that’s Jamar’s first game, this is not so surprising.

Ambrose’s opponent (Kersten) didn’t do much but then neither did Paddy…which is ok if your playing 3rd tall defender but you have to be able to create play, produce intercept marks, etc in that role too. Gwilt does it, although not always reliably. It will be interesting to see Francis in that role.

I’d expect we would bring back the 6 players rested this week and play close to our Round 1 team as we can. We even get more than a 6 day break this time.

anyone who bombs it into the forward line to an outnumbered contest should get dragged from now on.

Kudos to the bomber crowd. Big turn out for small game.

On the Long band wagon. Morgan also one to watch.

Thank god Geelong didn’t play Carlton, it may have got ugly.

Thank god Geelong didn't play Weitering, it may have got ugly.

Fixed.

They were all noticably physically stronger and more imposing than our guys. Even some of our lads who have been in the system equally as long as a crop of their youngsters such as Ashby, Hams, Gleeson, J Merrett are still built like pencils.
All ASAGA jokes aside of course.

I guess this is why you need the core group of experienced players and not too many kids. The experienced players enforce the maintenance of the required structures when under pressure. The kids just turn into a rabble, running out of position playing on too fast when they should be slowing it down and vice versa. I Was thinking maybe 8 experienced players and 14 kids, but I am now thinking 10/12 or even 12/10 because its just not going to do the kids any good playing in that way week after week.

Even so, that had an eerie similarity to when the Cats slaughtered us at Etihad last year whenour team should have been at “full strength”
Geelong: . Extraordinary accuracy in front of goal…

They were all noticably physically stronger and more imposing than our guys. Even some of our lads who have been in the system equally as long as a crop of their youngsters such as Ashby, Hams, Gleeson, J Merrett are still built like pencils. All ASAGA jokes aside of course.

Yep, … we’re too fkn scared to even eat meat atm … there’s peptides in it!!

On a day like this, you look for what they can do. Strings of play. When we were able to transition play in the third we looked pretty good. Few and far between those passages, but that is what we need to build on going forward. They weren’t lazy today, they were outplayed fairly comprehensively. Not much to take out of this game, meaningless result. It’s what they can build on in the future that is important and l saw some good signs.

TIPPA
Was involved in most of our best bits of play and that bump on Danger was immense. McKenna’s start to the 3rd quarter deserves a special mention.

I made $52

They were all noticably physically stronger and more imposing than our guys. Even some of our lads who have been in the system equally as long as a crop of their youngsters such as Ashby, Hams, Gleeson, J Merrett are still built like pencils. All ASAGA jokes aside of course.

Yep, … we’re too fkn scared to even eat meat atm … there’s peptides in it!!

Hahaha it’s funny though, I have honestly pondered about whether, as a reaction to all that has happened, that we might go too far the other way and not avail ourselves of perfectly legitimate products to aid development and recovery. Things that other clubs would be using. I could understand the sports science crew being a bit gun shy.

Probably an absolute rubbish thing to think about with not much basis but I have wondered about it.

Anything worth taking is banned.

Stick to good modern diets and we will be fine.