Review Thread: Dons v Cats

Probably the wrong thread. However given we have seen most of the players this year and the 12 suspended players are being given an extra year it means any list changes will come from the players we have seen play. As we will likely have high draft picks I’d expect we will take at least 3-4 players in next years draft.

From what I’ve seen I think the following players will really need to change direction this year to retain a spot: Ambrose, Cooney, Kommer, McKernan and Gwilt. I think Edwards has another year on his contract. I like McKernan but get the impression he’s not rated within the club. I’m not 100% sure of contract status although I think that all listed above expire this year. I personally have never rated Ambrose and Kommer. Cooney has not worked so far and Gwilt is being used as a gap filler.

Obviously if any of the “12” decide to leave it could change things a bit.

Was always going to be a tough game against the cats and with our “outs”. Those guys above though really need to do everything right ahead. I hope we really see this.

I made $52

Hey dons fans.

Please don’t start the speculation on next years draft picks already. We have not kicked a ball in anger for 2016.

This was not a good day. It was an average reserve-grade team against a good senior AFL team.

There might be a lot of similar scorelines this year. But easy shots being missed is inexplicable. Very few positives. Hams fought hard, as did Tippa. Hartley kept Hawkins to about 3 goals. McKenna shows raw talent. Might develop. Mc Kerman works hard.

This was not a good day. It was an average reserve-grade team against a good senior AFL team.

I think it was likely a very good day.

The coach & his crew would I’m sure, have found out many things they wanted/needed to know.

Unless Woosh and his assistants are idiots of course.

6 day break vs 9 day break many many players out vs against bugger all out. Young players with a great opportunity to learn on some of the AFLs best.

We were not embarrassed just a mismatch today

They were all noticably physically stronger and more imposing than our guys. Even some of our lads who have been in the system equally as long as a crop of their youngsters such as Ashby, Hams, Gleeson, J Merrett are still built like pencils. All ASAGA jokes aside of course.

They monstered us!!

I am concerned TIPPA is going to kill someone. Bump on Danger was massive. I thought he did a lot of good things.

Please don't start the speculation on next years draft picks already. We have not kicked a ball in anger for 2016.

I get your point. However, you need to keep in mind that there is going to be limited positives to be gained this year for the club and fans. Mainly it will be to try and get some games and positive development into the young players and trying to work out what the team will be next year. This is a reality.

I am concerned TIPPA is going to kill someone. Bump on Danger was massive. I thought he did a lot of good things.

Needs to be gif’d

Needs to be gif’d

Tippa is a gift

As a more general thing I wonder what bearing our relative competitiveness this season will have on ‘the 12’s’ decisions to re-comit to the club?

On a day like this, you look for what they can do. Strings of play. When we were able to transition play in the third we looked pretty good. Few and far between those passages, but that is what we need to build on going forward. They weren't lazy today, they were outplayed fairly comprehensively. Not much to take out of this game, meaningless result. It's what they can build on in the future that is important and l saw some good signs.

After reading your post I could swear you were standing next to me at the game.

Saw it the same way.

Kudos to us and them for playing in that heat. Yes it’s a fairly common day heat wise for us plebs who live in Central Vic, going about our business but to play footy, well thank goodness they’re far and few between. The heat was more oppressive about until about 1/2 hour prior to the game, then it became stifling for a while and when a tiny breeze blew was bliss.

Geelong looked like man mountains compared to our guy’s. I thought we tried all day even though the game was well truly out of our reach.

Met Koala and DJR, only for a short time but I was most pleased to meet them. Also met Littlehirdy’s hubby who just happened to park behind us and he asked if we had signed the petition .

Looking forward to West Coast game, should have more leadership for that one, Bags and Dempsey were our only leaders today and it showed.

Don’t know re any one else, but liked Morgan’s game, didn’t do heaps but got something special that one.

We were out numbered by Geelong supporters but good to see a pretty good turn out from our supporters, had a few where I/we were standing, come from ■■■■, Benalla and Albury which was good.

Just got back … not all bad. With the side named, I think Woosha is sorting the rookies and bottom 10 players.

Tippa did good, got better as the game went on - linked up and found targets when no one else could. Dropped a mark, but that was probably his only mistake. It wasn’t just Dangerfield he hit, Caddy, Guthrie and Duncan all spent time doubled over sucking in deep breaths asking for the number of the black truck that hit them. Woosha will like that!.

Edwards looked sick - literally. Only played 30mins, was jogging around listlessly, then jogged off before long. Poured a few bottles of water over his head. So he might have excuse - which didn’t help our midfield rotations.

Dea was pretty good for a dour defender, Simpkin looks overweight and just after easy outside kicks for himself.

Can someone tell me where Brown was playing - the only times I saw him, he seemed to be forward. Was he forward all game?

Reckon we will pick our best available side vs WCE?

Just got back ... not all bad. With the side named, I think Woosha is sorting the rookies and bottom 10 players.

Tippa did good, got better as the game went on - linked up and found targets when no one else could. Dropped a mark, but that was probably his only mistake. It wasn’t just Dangerfield he hit, Caddy, Guthrie and Duncan all spent time doubled over sucking in deep breaths asking for the number of the black truck that hit them. Woosha will like that!.

Edwards looked sick - literally. Only played 30mins, was jogging around listlessly, then jogged off before long. Poured a few bottles of water over his head. So he might have excuse - which didn’t help our midfield rotations.

Dea was pretty good for a dour defender, Simpkin looks overweight and just after easy outside kicks for himself.

Can someone tell me where Brown was playing - the only times I saw him, he seemed to be forward. Was he forward all game?

Nope - Brown played CHB in the first half and then went forward after half time.

Probably the wrong thread. However given we have seen most of the players this year and the 12 suspended players are being given an extra year it means any list changes will come from the players we have seen play. As we will likely have high draft picks I'd expect we will take at least 3-4 players in next years draft.

From what I’ve seen I think the following players will really need to change direction this year to retain a spot: Ambrose, Cooney, Kommer, McKernan and Gwilt. I think Edwards has another year on his contract. I like McKernan but get the impression he’s not rated within the club. I’m not 100% sure of contract status although I think that all listed above expire this year. I personally have never rated Ambrose and Kommer. Cooney has not worked so far and Gwilt is being used as a gap filler.

Obviously if any of the “12” decide to leave it could change things a bit.

Was always going to be a tough game against the cats and with our “outs”. Those guys above though really need to do everything right ahead. I hope we really see this.

Irish is rated by the club

I’m not short of a gripe when it comes to poor performance but today wasn’t it. Yes the scoreboard got out of control and we were outmatched in every single part of the ground but far out the boys did put in effort. It was a really warm day and was glad to retreat to my air conditioned palace pretty quick afterward!

Positives:

• Intent to attack through the corridor (* see negatives)
  • Strong passages of ‘link’ play out of HB (* see negatives)
  • Another nice game by Walla in terms of aggression and tackling (2nd highest with 5).
  • Was surprised to see such low stats for Dempsey, looked very classy live and was a leader on the field
  • Hartley was outmatched, but didn’t get disgraced against one of the premier forwards in the comp getting silver service all game
  • Langford is a beast around stoppages and tackles with real intent
  • Kommer wasn’t that damaging but he ran hard all day and looks ready to play this season
  • Cooney got through the game
  • No major injuries were reported.

Negatives/Learning/Room for improvement:

• Ambrose is not AFL standard. Laugh all you want about Gwilt but Ambrose just doesn’t add anything, at all.
  • Edwards struggled with the heat of the battle, heat on the ground and looked well off. Hopefully was flu.
  • We are going to struggle big time if there are injuries. Particularly Goddard, Zaka and Zerrett.
  • Laverde looks good but struggled to find the pace of the game at times. Hopefully injury is minor and he will get his chance.
  • Forward structure was non-existent for much of the game. Really need to learn to hold our shape and go forward with purpose.
  • Turnovers as we streamed forward were far far far far far too often and usually from basic skill errors
  • I think Gleeson has ‘it’ but needs to improve his disposal when pressured a bit. Panic merchant a couple of times.
  • J.Merrett was similar to last week, does the hard running, provides options and then just lets himself down over and over again with disposal

Personally, before the game, I thought it would be a 40-50 point margin… hearing that Zaka and Zerrett were withdrawals then 60+ wasn’t out of the question. In the end, it should show the coaches exactly where we sit in terms of development. Plenty of upside with McKenna, Gleeson, Long and Tippa impressing again.

What I’d like to see next week:
A solid line up and see if Kelly and Stokes can show class and polish like Stevie J did for GWS last night… Daniher to return and work on finding consistency up forward. Focus more on decision making into the F50.

Reckon we will pick our best available side vs WCE?

Not in Perth.