Review Thread: Dons v Fourthmond

Haven’t seen Jaimee Rogers for a while.

Last year, she was the highlight in an otherwise bleak season.

Second week in a row for positives. Still the AFL maggots cheat us. Great games from Hooker, Hurley, Heppell and McKernan. I like Egan as a coach. Richmond as well as the tin rattlers won’t make it through the finals.

Go easy on Joe fellas, it's been a very tough year for a kid his age, and he has battled manfully this year. The fact is if he gets a goal next week he will have kicked more goals in a year than any other Essendon forward since 2008. He is 21

Agree.
Joe D was disappointing, but the one positive is that when he goes scoreless or isn’t the full forward (if there is such a thing nowadays), we find it tough to find another spot on the field to give him the opportunity to work his way into the game.
I think it was mainly Hooker and Dempsey who were our forward targets with one or two here and there for Joe D. So he worked up the field a lot more than normal and I think he was okay.

One thing I couldn’t believe in the last quarter though (which sums up our season)…
We kick it out to the wing for Joe D to run onto and mark it. As a junior, he’s supposedly a very good mark with his hands outstretched. He’ll either get the free kick or mark it more often than not.
He drops the mark, Richmond pick it up, kick it to a leading medium sized forward (I think it was Lennon) who single grabs the mark and has a set shot on goal.
As a team, our hands around the contest, marking and gathering ground balls is well below standard. Under pressure or not, we have more fumbles than clean pickup possessions.

Go easy on Joe fellas, it's been a very tough year for a kid his age, and he has battled manfully this year. The fact is if he gets a goal next week he will have kicked more goals in a year than any other Essendon forward since 2008. He is 21

Completely agree.

I thought played very well as a mobile CHF last night, hauling in 8 marks and generally positioning himself well.

Just his kicking (into the man on the mark let him down) - but he’s not Robinson Crusoe there. Our general field kicking skills have been poor all year.

Pity he just missed that 45m running goal; really would have lifted the team early in Q3 - as would have Carlisle nailing a simple 30m set shot directly in front not long after.

Interesting that Egan after game was talking about Smack as a good forward / 2nd ruck option - regretting that they haven’t been able to use him like that because of loss of Bellchambers. So Egan isn’t as locked into the ‘only 1 ruck’ strategy as his predecessor. Wonder if there was division on selection committee earlier when Hird kept selecting only one ruck.

Also I thought Carlisle was better last night. Not good, just better. He looked more interested and made more efforts, sometimes he even won the ball.

Egan also said we lack a scoreboard hitting small forward, he is a ■■■■■■■ genius.

it has been a rough year. That doesn't mean he should be immune from criticisms when he puts in sub par performances.

And on a small note there are a few bad habits the coaches need to start stamping out in his game. Someone should remind him he is close to 200cm, so stop ■■■■■■■ trying to play like you’re gary ablett jnr. if you get a mark do not just ■■■■■■■ wandering around allowing the ump to call play on and get yourself into trouble.

To be fair a few players need to be told to stop ■■■■■■■ thinking they are better than they are and play to your limitations.

the rest of the game, as others have said meh.
same stupid mistakes by the same usual suspects but who the ■■■■ really cares anymore. Dempsey is prolly the smartest man at the club at present, he got out of this mess a week early.

I enjoyed the game, Hooker was awesome as our one man forward line. Going to the game with the plan to cheer when we did something good, boo the umpiring and berate the opposition worked out well. I actually found that the Richmond fans were fairly educated as to the football rules and ranted at the umpires at the appropriate junctures, much better audience participation than say a Portalaide* game.

*tm Luke Darcy

Forwardline totally devoid of spark and structure tonight...I think thats the 4th score under 50 and the 12th score of 60 or less this year...wow

Our lowest scoring year since 1927, Hirdy’s grandfather had just had his 9th birthday…

We played emotional footy, but i’m not sure if it was the right emotions for footy if that makes sense.

I think both teams were just happy it was over when the final siren went.

I did like all the long sleeve tops last night. I’d HATE to see that in the grey though. Bleagh.

The Richmond 'black on yellow' away strip isn't too bad. Pity 'black on red' looks like sh ite.

I thought the rumpires had those lime tops that looked too similar to the yellow Bitchmond jumpers…though it figures the way they helped them to a number of goals.

I didn't like watching Little & Campbell laughing. They would have been the only ones. Maybe clear air is like helium.

Oh FFS.

I had a mate around last night when the game was on TV. He made a joke. I laughed.

Didn’t Egan say he wants the players to enjoy the last few weeks and find the fun in footy again. I’m happy for the administrators and everybody else at the Club to buy into that as well.

Agreed.

It’s like people bagging coaches based on the camera shots of them during games. These people mustn’t realise that there is a camera on each coaches box for the whole game so it’s pretty easy to get a camera shot to paint the picture you want to portray

Egan also said we lack a scoreboard hitting small forward, he is a ■■■■■■■ genius.

No chance of getting the senior job then.

Puts into perspective John Coleman's 100 goals in his first season, doesn't it? He was 20.

Rain a great leveller and yet we go forward and kick accurately.

I didn't like watching Little & Campbell laughing. They would have been the only ones. Maybe clear air is like helium.

Oh FFS.

I had a mate around last night when the game was on TV. He made a joke. I laughed.

Didn’t Egan say he wants the players to enjoy the last few weeks and find the fun in footy again. I’m happy for the administrators and everybody else at the Club to buy into that as well.

Yeah Egan was chukling all night.
Puts into perspective John Coleman's 100 goals in his first season, doesn't it? He was 20.

Matthew Lloyd was 22 in 2000.
Joe has been around long enough now to not have the “he’s only a kid” excuse.
He needs to work on his weaknesses now, if he is to fulfil his potential.

Just talked himself out of the job

Against my better instincts I just checked the Hun's match report. 3 votes, Alex Rance. FFS...

Are you taking the ■■■■? A bloke who had played 8 games as a forward kicked 3 on him

Yeah, but he’s handsome and everyone talks about how good he is.

Last night, the commentators, in typical fashion, went on and on about farking Michael Roach and Rick Kennedy instead of watching the game in front of them. And they’re the ■■■■■■■ commentators. Imagine how much attention a reporter from a paper is paying to the game. They would’ve had “3 - Rance” written down before the game, then checked at the end to make sure his stats weren’t atrocious before locking it in.

Remember when the AFL was hell-bent on naming and shaming players who staged for free kicks?

Against my better instincts I just checked the Hun's match report. 3 votes, Alex Rance. FFS...

Are you taking the ■■■■? A bloke who had played 8 games as a forward kicked 3 on him

On a wet night.