Review Thread: Essendon d Range Rovers

The ■■■■■■ said after the Saad holding tackle on Melksham early 1st quarter, that it was soft, but 'HE" doesn’t mind so long as they pay them all night… They did, and the prick still whinges.

1 Like

Ling and Carey made the fatal mistake, for commentators, of barracking for an outcome (Melbourne win) rather than commentating the game.

8 Likes

Does anyone have those telstra links to watch a quarter at a time? Would like to watch the 3rd quarter again.

Congratulations to Blitz, we have been instrumental in getting Essendon’s season back on track!

By giving up all hope of a successful Essendon season as early as round 2, we helped remove the monkey of expectation from the teams back and allowed them to play with freedom and instinct.

Hopefully this is as successful as our massive dummy spit of 2018 after losing to Carlton. Thank goodness we didn’t leave it to 2-6 at round 8 to turn it around this year.

If we have righted the ship and beat Brisbane next Saturday we will be square at 2-2. It took us to round 15 against North last year to get to 7-7 and round 18 to get ahead of the ledger at 9-8 by which time we were already a long shot to make the 8. If we can beat North (as well) in less than a fortnight we could be 3-2.

Our season isn’t lost by a long shot, and I think we can thank, at least in part, our lack of expectation that has helped make this potential turnaround possible.

2 Likes

Signs up with Kayosports for a 2 week trial

I think the difference to mids was
Zaharakis played more inside.
We got more minutes from Heppell and Shiel on the ball as well. Parish got more midfield time too.
And smith would have had more if not for the concussion test.

And due to mutch injury.
We were probably forced to keep our better players in there for longer periods.

3 Likes

I’ve talked about the concern I have about this group of players, who seem to be driven by external factors (bounce back, backs against the wall, get the supporters and media off our backs). This win doesn’t change much for me.

Until the players show they are self-driven, and want to perform because they want to win a premiership… we will continue to be inconsistent and frustrating club.

9 Likes

Can I just say what an enjoyable night I had last night at the G, there is nothing better in footy than a win at the ground.

Melbourne at the G and next Brisbane at the G in the traditional Sat arvo timeslot.

Feels like the 90s again when the G was home most weeks.

16 Likes

My best memories going to the G Sat afternoon.

1 Like

I agree, and I have talked about how the successful sides of recent years harness their internal mental and emotional strengths as part of their formula for success, but momentum is still an important factor which influences confidence and belief, and I am serious that because we have realised early that we aren’t automatically a good side just because we have a good list, this is a good thing for improving our mindset.

And the fact this has happened early this season, and we have improved the side by dumb luck, Myers being ill and Mutch injured, bringing in Ridley again who has again displayed his cool headed disposal efficiency, and forcing Woosha to use Parish as a true mid for a lot more minutes which was a big influence on a game - where we were supposed to be hopelessly outgunned in the midfield, and we actually used our pace to an advantage for the first time this year.

I believe there is reason for hope.

I accept that I should be criticised for going early, but this is Blitz, and I think a good motto for us should be…

Go early or go home!

What’s the point of having an opinion if you’re not prepared to put it out there.

3 Likes

Zaha was epic last night! I love the bloke. Easily one of the best one ground, if not the best.

2 Likes

tbh would have preferd is this was a night game.

I feel we play better at the G under the lights

Brisbane have played 5 games at the MCG in 3 years.

1 Like

That was a very special win. The boys should be very proud of themselves.

It is not easy to win a footy game when you are down a man in the first quarter.

Then compounded by the concussion test for Smith.

While trying to play a two ruck strategy.

Against a side thought to have strength through the midfield.

That win was amazing, but has come at quite some cost. The injury report on Tuesday is likely to be a long one. And the guys not injured appeared very sore.

2 Likes

Carey and Dees fans complaining about the umpiring need to rewatch the frost ball drop and the non paid htb on our hf 5 minutes earlier

5 Likes

In other words it’s another Blitz? All 4 of those points have or still get regular airtime on here! Just change the club name and away we go.

1 Like

And the three or four goals they got from soft frees two. It was crap umpiring but was even.

And the last time we played them was probably the 2001 GF on a warm balmy 27o day.
Changes:
Out: warm balmy day
In: 7 day forecast is for maximum of 19o with scattered showers. I’m hoping for miserably cold wet conditions completely unlike Brissie at this time of year - the colder, the better

2 Likes

We drew against them at the G in 2009.

4 Likes

Was it hot or cold that day? If it was a draw, it must have been in between going by my theory

4 Likes