Review thread - Local team killed in shootout

Unlike Hurley and Hartley, Ambrose has the mobility to roll over onto Bont and Dickson.
You’d put Hurley on Cloke at this point, he’s about their weakest forward.

2 Likes

Huh?

Our gameplan is slingshot. When we go we go and it’s through the middle.

Which means when we turn it over we get scored on.

Sorry mate. It’s got everything to do with our game style. Other teams turns overs don’t get punished like ours becuase of how we play.

1 Like

Only a goal down. Hurley marks on the wing. Instead of getting it straight back in the forward line he tries a little dinky kick and turns it over

So so dumb

14 Likes

Get out of here with that common sense dribble.

1 Like

We’re still mentally soft as ■■■■. It’s all well and good to play like millionaires when you’re cruising to a 7 goal win but when it’s there to be won, you find a way. This team still hasnt found that way yet to will itself over the line. There’s a ■■■■■■ good team in there but weaknesses are so evident. After a good start, the Dogs came hard at us late in the first quarter and we didn’t like it. They didn’t draw too far clear but were on top, what becomes evident is how visible the boys looked to have switched off, gone back in their shells, a drop in intensity for a good 5-8 minutes. Some bad misses by their forwards then a reply by us and the boy’s body language and application goes up 100%. A great team doesn’t have those mental lapses.

The easy misses early really killed us. Bulldogs had a few too but grabbed a couple of flukey ones too and converted set shots from the arc. The latter is something we failed to do today.

So similar to that ■■■■■ gws loss last year; go forward time after time and cough up so many fking opportunities missed and then they kick a few junkies late and dance on our fking grave.

Fuming. Fark right off

1 Like

Our gameplan is awesome offensively, but going the other way off a turnover, you can’t have snails like Myers, Jobe, BJ, Kelly trying to chase. The gameplan does not suit these types of players

4 Likes

That’s the best the Bulldogs have played all year. Our luck it was against us, but when they’re up and running they’re a dangerous team.

I would’ve hoped we could close them down more effectively, but they played smart. We executed poorly for much of the game, had good players down, and made poor decisions throughout - but still should have hit the lead in the last quarter with a bit more composure.

If we’re smart we’ll learn from that. I’m certainly not one of the hand-wringers who reckon the sky has fallen in. We know where we’re at now and I think we have the game - well executed - to take it up to the best. The Adelaide game will show where we’re at.

4 Likes

Blitz also failing under pressure… :expressionless:

6 Likes

I reckon somewhere along the line he breaks “The Bont” in half …

I am not even sure it is panicking or not coping with pressure. It was poor decision making in many cases. The long kick to the 3 on 1 rather than the kick to the 1 on 1. The kick back through their forward 50 to switch when there were other open options.
The kick outs. When are we gong to fix the kick outs?
There’s a lot to be happy. Like the Melbourne game I felt it was a game of split seconds. Split second misses.
But in the end when you kick 13 19 under a roof, no wind, no rain, in perfect conditions, you really don’t deserve to win

2 Likes

The bulldog’s played their best game for the year and the only difference was poor kicking.

Hooker kicks 3 and he’s had a reasonable game, instead his poor kicking/decision making was almost the difference.
Lav didn’t go near it.
Hurley was atrocious by foot.
Bellchambers was ordinary today.
Our usually good defensive marking was non existent.
Myers kicking is woeful yet that’s his most potent weapon.
We weren’t that bad. We weren’t good.

Parish had his best game I thought - his kicking still needs work.
I won’t to see McGrath be more attacking with the ball. Too much sideways stuff when he’s not under pressure - it’ll come.

Hooker, massively talented player, can win you a game, but one of the dumbest footballers I’ve ever seen.
Colyer can run quick, and does it a good 3-5 times a game, but how many times does he do anything useful with it or make clean passes? Rarely. He keeps getting games on the basis he might do something, but he rarely does.
LAV clearly nowhere near it, not even close.
Myers might win a bit of contested possessions but fck me he literally does nothing with the ball and has a ton of random blind kicks. How about finding a team mate for once…3 more years of that filth. Can’t believe we won’t give Mutch/Langford a go.
Hartley and Gleeson provided little, no tackles between them.
Kelly looks tired and probably needs a rest, and I highly doubt Watson can get through another year, in fact he’s kidding if he thinks we can carry another underperformer in this weak side.
FAZ nowhere near it for most the game.

Our midfield again kills us. One way running, poor defensive pressure and basically a one man band with Zerrett. Basically they shut him out it’s game over for us. Zaka tries but I’ve never seen him be able to wrestle a game back for us, he lives and dies on the teams fortunes. Parish is good but guys like Goddard, Watson and Myers rack up stats and get burnt badly. Everyone is going to get nice stats and look good when we get the ball in a shootout but how about working hard the other way? We have about one good decision maker in our midfield and that’s it. Heppell scuttles about but I’d rate most of their midfield ahead of him. He’s good when he’s good, but mostly he’s average. He’s not the game changer we need, he’s not the A grade talent we need. I liked what Joe did, I liked what Stewart did, but once again the mental frailty shone through when the heat was on. I can’t work out why Johanisen wasn’t roughed up. We let him do what he wanted, that’s pathetic. I think it’s time to start playing Mutch, Begley, Langford and perhaps Bird if they want a hard body.

2 Likes
7 Likes

When we have brain fades, boy do we have a brain fade. Though you can see what we wanted to do.

Still shocked and confused with goal kicking as well. We are like Shaq taking free throws at times.

We still seem to have that middle age bracket where our class isn’t up there. Our seniors should be replaced when the time comes with juniors though. I think we need to push more into the Zerrett / Fanta age bracket and develop the next gen. We’ll probably end up with more 28 - 30s though.

1 Like

Last week they were sensational and got on a massive roll, especially in that last 1/4. I reckon that helped them for today massively.

1 Like

you said it better than I could.

Football IS slingshot now, unless you’ve got the clearance power to play a territory/press game (hint: we don’t).

I really think today came down to legspeed in the middle, our older guys couldn’t apply pressure because they couldn’t close down space. We looked 1000x better when the younger guys went in the guts.

Ninthendon

1 Like

Its not luck!!! We are a very weak defensive side. They tagged Zerret, we gave Bont and the rest of their mids a get out of pack free card. We do this every week. We win if we are super efficient going forward and our backline holds but we conceded so much in the middle that we gift a lot of chances to beat us.

4 Likes