Review Thread v Adelaide goal machines

Missed the game due to work commitments last night but just sat through the replay tonight. Not surprised we lost, IMO, Crows are a top 3 team and many forget they were top of the ladder last year before the Eagles upset them in round 23 & other results conspired to their finishing spot of fifth. They’re a seriously good side. Unfortunately we had no answers to them last night. They were slick and precise and we were rabbits in the headlights a lot of the first half. Uncharacteristic errors by generally good ball users turned it over to them who just hit Walker & Betts & Otten up with monotonous regularity.

A few of our guys were not only down on form but battling for legs. Jobe looked cooked at half time. Stanton likewise. Baguley… well, my thoughts on him are well known, I think he’s done. Great warrior and heart but lacks speed and IMO is an absolute worry with ball in hand. I don’t see the benefit of playing him any longer. IMO Gleeson is a better option than McKenna right now too.

Behind the scenes Woosha has always said it would take time for the guys to learn how each other plays and I think this remains true, however, I honestly don’t think the match committee have an idea what their ideal side looks like yet. That being the case, it makes it hard to develop a synergy when there’s inconsistency in the lineup.

IMO, our best side doesn’t contain McKenna, Baguley or Brown at this point in time. I think Gleeson is and should be recalled. I’d also include Dea for ANZAC Day, will be handy on one of Fasolo or Elliott. I’d also bring Stewart in & move Hooker back. Our defence was so much better with two All Australian defenders filling the key posts. Why would we go & recruit Stewart just to play him in the VFL & play our AA Full Back as a key forward? On what planet does that make sense?

There will be some changes next week & a lot more the following week coming off a five day break into the Melbourne game. Those who play next week need to be right because the pies will be intense as they were in Sydney last week. We need to fight fire with fire earky or we will get blown out again on ANZAC Day. Fascinating week ahead.

4 Likes

Wasn’t it HARTLEY last Year ?

1 Like

Seems like we are all bothered more this week than last weeks lost.

I thought last week was disgusting and on talent we should be 3-1.

If people are having issue with Hooker Heppell and Hurls you need to remember they are all on long long long term deals. What’s to say they are going to get better?

It’s ibvious Hurley needs help. If they aren’t going to play Harts then put hooker back and bring in Stewart.
As someone said our back six looked a lot more settled last year. Hurley and McGrath should complement this.

3 Likes

I’d say probability and reason would be the things that indicate they will likely get better.
They’re not 30 +. In Hepps case he probably is nearing his prime.
They’re a year older but really only down on match hardness.

The elements are there, but older players on the down, plus returning and the like it’s just not gelling, and prolly won’t.

Goddard is a total liability at present and is indicative of the main issue. the game and players are just to quick for him and a couple of others now.
His play where he marked a ball in the backline, wandered off his line thinking he could run past his opponent, then missing a chip kick on his left creating a turnover and goal, the game has simply gone past him, and guys in the same boat.

compare that to a Merrett, where he has made a few similar blues with decision making and disposal, but he is also taking on and making more correct and decent decisions and disposal than not.

At present, you simply can’t have a team with Goddard, zaka, stanton and watson and expect to win against good to decent opponents.
when you add in other guys like even langford, heppell and a few others, that’s a minimum of 6 players who before the game start are exposed and a liability defensively, just through sheer lack of pace.
Then from last nights game you had mckenna and kelly had an off night, that’s 9 players you have to try and carry being off their game, you just can’t.
you could prolly have more than those guys too, hooker and hurley come to mind.

the thing is out of the first 4 mentioned, you can only really play 2 of them at most, IF you can find others to take on the workload and be the grunt, to allow them to be the cream on the top, because they can’t simply do what they used to, and be what they were 3-4 years ago.

but until you actually drop them and give younger guys a go, it’s just going to be a continual endless cycle of being killed when we don’t have the ball, due to simply not being able to keep up with the opposition.

3 Likes

The guys you mentioned are predominantly mids. Drop them for which young player exactly? All our young mids are already playing i.e parish, McGrath, Langford. The only young mids on our list not playing are Mutch and Clarke who have played a solitary VFL game each. Our other mid options are injured lav and Myers or even slower like hocking and howlett.

1 Like

There was no need to read any further.

29 Likes

It’s very simple. We make our new centre square team Joe ruck, Raz and Colyer the rovers, and TIPPA the muscle. We can find 29 goals of forwards more easily than we can find those magical midfield replacements.

It’s a stupid idea, but it’s still just about the best option available.

2 Likes

Goddard got my 3 votes last night. I thought he was very good, was the only one who could tackle Eddie Betts too. Yes, he made some errors but he more then made up for them.

2 Likes

Didn’t you see the name then?

3 Likes

This should be heppell for mine, said it before the season started he is best playing behind the ball in the hodge style. Is much cleaner there and reads the play well. Also i gather worsfold has identified he isn’t a great centre bounce player, not as quick from hands to feet and most of his clearances are scrappy so now moved him to the wing the past 2 weeks which i think is a better move.

2 Likes

Given that of our tall backs Hurley is most deserving of playing VFL, while Hooker has looked slow, why on earth do people think he’d solve the Hurley problem?

And Mr Sunbury, he plays a different role to Stewart. Stewart is probably being kept out bu Langford.

Crows have been this good for a year or two now. The forward line is insane and Tex is a freakshow.

I was rolling with you until you mentioned Gleeson as the shinning light in all that. All the other players mentioned apart from McKenna have a few more runs on the board than young Gleeson…including the coaching panel.

I think there’s a bit of a difference between “shining light” and “better prospect”.

Tex and Eddie are outstanding

1 Like

…and the midfield delivery to them is elite. They are at the top of their game and deserve to be flag favourites.

1 Like

That the way I feel. Fully expected the win again Fark Carlton and expected at least a 6 goal loss to the Crows. If the first half was a little better that’s where we would have ended up.
When you look at our backline now it has changed inmensly. No Carslise, Hooker, Hibbo. We lack a bit of clunking down back. I’d like to see Chooka back and bring in someone like a McNiece for a go off the other flank. We have Stewart, Francis or TBC that can play forward. Either one frees up Joe.

The midfield, well, it’s still slow inside. How do we fix that. What’s happening with all the recruits from the later rounds from the last two years? We’re all talking about bringing in talent and no one is really talking about our second stringers. Worries me that Jerret is the one staring in the McGoos over the last couple weeks.

Who’s Chooka?

Edit: figured it out - Cale

1 Like

Could’ve tolerated Saturday night FAR better if we’d have snuck the win last week.

The reality is that clusterfark last Sunday could just about stuff the season given the next 6-7 weeks we have. Long way to go and definitely keeping faith, but it’s four points we simply needed to put in the bank last week, and I won’t be surprised if it comes back to bite in the end.

2 Likes