Review Thread v Hawks - Season over

You know I can’t help the feeling that this was somehow Langford’s fault

Sorry I was channeling my inner Worsfold

5 Likes

Weirdly, 3rd qtr aside, I actually saw improvement re gameplan today, … and honestly, if we could actually execute our skills as we should, we may well have gotten there.

The biggest problem I have with the team aside from that, … is the way they drop their heads when things go wrong. The moment it starts to happen, we back off OUR pressure and the opposition gets a leg up, and then a run on.

They must know by now as they are implementing the new system that things are going to stuff up as a matter of course, … why the fk can’t they just accept that and learn to deal already, keep the heads up and go again??

If they can get that under control, we’ll start to pick up more confidence and get more synchronized, … and next week could just be the catalyst.

10 Likes

No most clubs have the same amount we just play ours every week.

1 Like

yep - I only caught the last 10 minutes and online at that. Looking at the scoring graph we can only manage one half of competitive football. Just can’t sustain it, and other sides know it.

Usually sides fall right away like this due to long-term injuries to key players or a significant sudden bout of retirements or a ‘premiership hangover’. Rarely in VFL-VFL history does a side fall right off the pace so quickly without one (or more) of the above “reasons/excuses”.

The Board have to consider this when thinking about this coaching panel.

We need more articles about the 3rd quarter wasteland and how we will turn it around. Seriously this is a team going nowhere.

Ladies and Gents, presenting the 2018 Essendon season. It burnt brightly like the most promising star in Round 1 but today, May 5th it was extinguished like… what is that song again… oh yeah… a candle in the wind.

Soft as warm wax.

It starts with our coaching. It ends with our coaching.

3 Likes

And Kobe Mutchs effort, … especially his delivery by foot.

6 Likes

Not only that. We are improving our losing margin by 13 pts. 49…36…23. If this pattern keeps up, we will lose by 10 pts next week then start winning by 3, 16…etc

4 Likes

come at me … at least i have put in more effort in my review than the coaches have all day.

McGrath - decent game. no real hurt factor. too many handballs
Bellcho - our best. Gets a one week reprieve from any bagging. though usually this means he coasts the week after a good game.
Parish - did he play in the second half?
Smith - stats ok. a meh game at best.
Daniher - where has he gone? The 2018 version is either injured or just out of form. For either scenario, playing in the seniors is doing him no favours.
Merrett - rubbish game. is he believing his own hype? Daniher is copping the whacks, but he should be too.
Goddard - poor today. game catching up to him. I like him … but patience just about gone.
Zahariakis - nothing game from him.
Baguley - not up to it anymore. he has a crack at least.
Stewart - today was a “Jane” day from him. Ineffectual all day. how can a bloke hit up Tippa on the tit on his left from 50 in the last quarter, miss a handball to a bloke running into an open goal?
Hurley - The fend off from Breust in the last says just about it all for the transformation of Hurley. Used to be a strong competitive beast … these days happy kickscabbing and playing for easy stats.
Mutch - well, second game in. no criticism.
Heppell - tries hard. not a bad game from him. Least respected captain in the game I would suggest … quite an achievement with Marc Murphy also a skipper.
Myers - what’s the point?
Stringer - thats the game Bulldog supporters have warned us to expect. shithouse all day
Hooker - not our best, not our worst
Ambrose - see Hooker.
Laverde - hmmm, do I bag out a kid? To be diplomatic, I am not sure of what his role is? If it is forward, he is rubbish. If he is half forward, he is average at his best? If it is midfield, well play him there and lets find out.
Saad - dumb footballer sometimes. I like that he wants to take the game on. Willing to cop some mistakes, but poor today
Tippa - worst on ground. Looks unfit. Needs to be dropped.
McKenna - nothing game from him.

10 Likes

what could they have done in the 3rd when the umpires were hell bent on giving the hawks the lead.
It went like this F F F F F(goal) F (goal) directly in front - all before we even got a free kick

8 Likes

If you hold nobody accountable, the results will repeat themselves. Again and again and again.

This is a club completely void of leadership, direction, and culture. Changes must be made immediately, but they won’t.

How bad do things need to get before something does change?

3 Likes

I like Kobie Mutch. Nothing more to add.

6 Likes

Our forwards are being constantly dragged up the ground. We look to hold on to the ball in our defensive half (but for far too long) and sides set up their zones easily. We can’t work through that zone because players aren’t running hard enough, so we slow up the play too much and end up turning it over anyway with woeful skills. Agreed - Corrigan is no good as a forwards coach, but our overall game play of trying to score from our defensive chains rather than focussing more on our forward pressure (especially creating a stoppage and scoring from those stoppages) is a massive problem. We put too much pressure on our defensive unit because of how easily sides can transition it out of our forward line.

3 Likes

Hep had a hug w Roughy and a few Hawks rubbed his head. He giggled. Ffs
Not ONE of our big blokes laid a tackle. What is going ON😖

2 Likes

Coach has lost the players.

3 Likes

Our last 4 games of the season will consist of 3 friday night games. Goodbye primetime footy next year.

A bit of my soul died watching that. The team is dead set unwatchable. Our administration has the same decision making ability as the team’s kicking ability. Our coaches do not have a clear game plan, cannot raise the level of our skills and are incapable of making match day moves.

We are so farked in every facet of the club.

12 Likes

tippa is off the hook as he usually gets more midfield time but Woosh was busy persisting with playing Myers/Heppell who are basically the same player right now which i’m not sure is more of an insult to who but the point is woosh is terrible, tippa should have got more midfield minutes and for ■■■■■ sake get myers out of the team

1 Like

What the hell has happened to Tippa. Not the same player as last year.

You could say that about another 10 players.

1 Like