Review thread v richmond @ dreamtime 2021

What a ride that was!!!

Injuries got us in the end more than anything.

Stringer had a very funny sort of a night. Strange one.

4 Likes

Bullshit.

16 Likes

We let the tigers score a goal in the last minute of every quarter. We missed some easy shots to put on some scoreboard pressure and they pulled away in the end. Hopefully we can learn from it. Hope the boys have a good break and have a crack in the second half of the year.

5 Likes

So many what if moments. So many 12 point turn around from ■■■■ umpiring decisions. 2 less rotations for the important bits. Ran out of legs.

9 Likes

It was bad, but not as bad as it could have been. We lifted our pressure in the last and got ahead, then they lifted their pressure even further and we couldn’t or didn’t go with them. Two missed shots from Stringer and Perkins were morale-destroyers.

6 Likes

So we hit the lead with only 5 good minutes of footy against the premiers?
How ■■■■■■■ good are we then.

17 Likes

We hit the front too early which woke Richmond up who put their foot down and showed us who’s boss. That was a painful 15 minute butt rape at the end

1 Like

This game has made me really angry.

13 Likes

I said to my wife when we hit the lead “this isn’t the same side. the Essendon of the past 15 years would have gone down by 6+ goals”

I was wrong.

3 Likes

My takeaways from the match.

• We fought hard until we ran out of puff near the end. Injuries really hurt.
  • Parish, Merrett and Langford were immense for 3.5 quarters.
  • The umps were rubbish. Especially in Q4. The “mark” to CCJ right in front, the non-free in front of goals which became a 12 point turnaround.
  • We really fluffed a lot of good chances. Waterman’s dropped sitter (12 point turnaround) , Stringer to go 9 up, Stringer in the pocket, Cox x2 misses, Phillips in front, etc. Just a lot of missed opportunities.
  • Until the last 15 minutes the defence did pretty well.
  • Chol in Q1 and McGrath off let them jump us. I liked how we reset and stopped their plan after Q2 until we ran out of puff.
  • How lucky we’re they? Bounces off knees to Richmond players, bounce of the ball, etc. Chol got heaps.
  • There were a lot of passengers.

The result flattered Richmond, and the umps helped them, but you can’t have the passengers we did and miss the opportunities we did and beat them. Still only won one game against top eight opposition.

29 Likes

So we fought it out until 10 minutes left would be correct.

We were down 1 rotation for a quarter, we weren’t playing 3 short on the field. Get a grip.

That was not a great effort, I don’t understand how anyone can say that. It was poor with a few good patches. A complete capitulation in the end.

What improvement is there from other high pressure games? Just more learnings and they will hurt and be better for it. Bulshit.

2 Likes

Our midfield beat theirs, which hasn’t happened for a decade.

But our bottom 6-8 players aren’t up to playing top 4 teams. That’s ok, we’re rebuilding.

Parish was huge.

20 Likes

Haha chased tail all night mate, we had a 5 min run which was great, however doesnt masked we were pretty sorely beaten.

If it’s good enough for you we hit the front then you take it.

7 goals in about 13 mins is woeful no matter how young the side is.

2 Likes

Thankyou captain obvious. :rofl:

Go post a thankyou card to jack higgins.

3 Likes

And needed to spend that petrol after the absolute joke that was the umpiring.

The entire game was 2 sets of rules, we battles against it while being at least 1.5 players down and were a good finish from running all over them. But once they broke our spirit with a couple of absolute a*set goals and a bit of umpiring help we dropped our heads.

1 Like

Great effort by the boys. Tigs a bit too strong in a lot of one on ones. Good signs but still work to be done.

3 Likes

That stings a bit. We had 'em right up until we didn’t. Pretty clear that we were missing McGrath in that horrible last 10-ish minutes. Just ran out of legs and let the Tigs run right over the top of us. Hell of a fight by the boys to hit the lead in the 4th, though. Nik Cox and Darcy Parish help to dull the pain.

2 Likes

So was it “all but 5 minutes” or “last 15 minutes”

Probably a bit disappointing on three fronts - the first and last 15 minutes being two of them and our abysmal goal kicking through the entire game.

4 Likes