Review v hawks

I think a few people were saying “vale” before he got up eventually.

Quoted Post

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay?round=CD_R201501402&matchId=CD_M20150140208&eventType=free&seek=5198&videoQuality=high

for anyone thinking number 11 is too old or past his prime

He’s like 25…

Kochie is up the front trying to interview Brad Hill.

Naomi Robson is waiting to bang him, but down getting her makeup fixed.

In the period between 6 (?, when Carisle goaled) and 2 minutes left, we looked buggered. No run, taking forever to play on after marks.

Then Mr Hooker kicked it straight down the guts, Colyer started his huge sprint from 30 metres out from their goal, and the rest is history.

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Quoted Post
People are getting carried away. It was a great win, but we did in that game what we do every time:

Play really conservatively when the enemy gets a run on and stay like that until we are so far down we think “stuff it, we are toast” before going back to playing well.

Don't think it was that at all against Hawks, and in general. Agree we don't handle pressure well as a rule, but don't think it's conservative -ness that brings us undone.

It’s the errors that stem from either or the actual impressure or implied pressure.

Another thing that’s creeping in in these lapses is blindly playing on without really looking whats on or around. Hibberd is a big culprit in this area. He either takes off, or gets a mark or something and just randomly takes a couple of steps to the side, then they are called play on, and have to rush a possie.
After his first instance where he played on from a mark or free against rioli which lead to a goal, I’m pretty sure i saw him do it again 2 or 3 times in the 3rd qtr when the Hawks are in the middle of their run.

There’s a right and wrong time to always want to play on, when you’re up and about sure do it, when the momentum is against you, you don’t have to try and match the oppositions level of momentum. Calm yourself, hold onto the ball for a bit, and try and take the sting out of the oppositions run and play the percentages. Trying to play on in the back pocket against Rioli is not the percentage play.

Not to single out Hibberd, cos heppell does it a bit too, and a few others, hibberd is just the more noticeable one IMO.

yeah it's like the coaches want the players to take risks and attack

Well they do, and the mantra after the loss to Sydney was that we should have kept attacking and not slowed the game down.

But marking then taking 3 steps to the side and then stopping and propping isn’t moving the ball on quickly. “Play on at all costs” is actually intended to mean “move it on quickly”, not just “make the umpire says play on”.

The problem is that if instructions are to play on, then your team mates are told to start leading as soon as you are marking it, so don’t waste their legs by holding onto it for 5-10 secs. Often you’ll see a senior player take the initiative to slow it down when it’s absolutely necessary, but it’s usually a last resort when things are getting out of hand or a runner has sent a message out.

Just watched the last Q replay. Kind of strange it was I thought. Although we weren’t as visibly cooked as that Sydney match, they were really getting on top. Even after we kicked that first goal, we still didn’t look like it. Just crazy.

Roughhead: Smoothed off.

Hill: Leveled.

(Self-referential ramble follows) I got an email from the AFL asking about my match day “experience” v Hawthorn and why I go to the football. At the end was the comments section, in which I wrote
To some extent your questionnaire misses my main motivating factor, though it does refer to supporting the team. Though Essendon may have had some problems, for which they were excessively punished in 2013, the stitch-up job between Government and the AFL went for 3 years. Our players did not break and with one exception they still support the club and the coach. I came to support my near-unbreakable club, despite the years of ill-informed public and media criticism. My bond does not rely on ease of access to the ground or what music was played before the bounce. I think the AFL is improving in these areas but the match is the motivator. I would have watched this game at Skinners Reserve. I did not expect Essendon to win, but I knew if they did victory would be all the sweeter.
Essendon is not a religion to me. But it is part of my identity and the AFL still acts like my club are just competitors for my entertainment dollar. Sunday was phenomenal. Our club is slaying the Goliaths as they come at us. Though I hate the sorry saga, it seems like it has strengthened EFC, or maybe that strength was there but never fully tested before. Then I came home to hear Malthouse whingeing that no-one likes Carlton anymore. Grand finals aside, can footy get any better?

Quoted Post

Quoted Post
Ambrose did land on a very soft player though

Spongy.

has anyone said turned Hill into a Valley yet?

Wonder what would have happened if Hooker handballed to Stanton

Quoted Post

Spongy.

Is there anything more exciting than Zaharakis running down the wing on the MCG with the crowd roaring behind him. It seriously makes me numb.

I ■■■■■■■ love footy.

Quoted Post

On my hotspot on the train and I see this. Thought I would bring him back to reality.

SENSATIONAL!

On my hotspot on the train and I see this. Thought I would bring him back to reality.

Ok, an aluminium press then.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay?round=CD_R201501402&matchId=CD_M20150140208&eventType=free&seek=5198&videoQuality=high

for anyone thinking number 11 is too old or past his prime

Has anyone said that ever?

Quoted Post

If you look at Hill's legs when Ambrose grabs him he actually looks like he is doing the moon walk.

Bloke gets planted and then folded like he’s in a steel press. Doesn’t get up for a long time. Ambrose is straight back up looking for the next bloke to do it too. Love it.

If you look at Hill’s legs when Ambrose grabs him he actually looks like he is doing the moon walk.