Review vs Cats

He wasn’t wrong though.

1 Like

Don’t reckon they learned anything today?

If I banned that I’d be banning 50 people today… instead of just one (@alex.f.94)

One so far, anyway.

2 Likes

We played better in every aspect other than kicking the ball through the goal. How devastating would that be for the guys in the mids and defense who tried their guts out, all for various team mates to say - nah I can’t execute a basic kick to finish your hard work. Fkn pathetic.

3 Likes

Quite possibly the most disappointing performance this year.

For the first 2 1/2 quarters thought we were well in it and kept expecting us to click into gear. We had players down and our delivery into the forward 50, and the players in it, were poor up to that point ouside of Stringer. By comparison had Geelong had been clinical.

Had we kicked the goals we should have the game would have been square. Had we even kicked the first goal in the third it would have been game on. Unfortunately we never clicked. The players that should have lifted never did. We kept missing goals. We never managed any serious run. And the forward line never functioned.

End of the day we were badly outcoached. We had the ascendacy out of the middle in the first quarter which Geelong successfully nullified after that. We had no answer, and no meaningful moves to change the course or momentum of the game. In the end we collapsed in a heap and hardly cracked in. Not good.

12 Likes

Time and time again this club has shown that it’s incapable of responding when it should.

We’ve consistently failed to show up motivated after rage-inducing losses for more than a decade.

10 Likes

Disagree. Reckon they were able to generate better chances than we could all day and that they missed just as many easy ones as we did.

1 Like

If not able to bring out the best, I’d settle for something. Today was nothing, only a few players showed up the rest just ran around and didn’t do much at all.

2 Likes

Poor defensive effort by our midfielders today. All four of the Cats first quarter goals came from their mids. We simply refused to chase them when they streamed forward. This trend continued all day and I lost count of the number of times players like Duncan were able to slip forward and score a goal or assist in one. At one point, Duncan had 8 score involvements, but I assume he finished with more than that. Guthrie, Kelly, Ablett, etc were the same. Paddocks between them and an Essendon player. Lazy effort from our midfield unit.

Over possession of the footy. I swear there is a decent correlation between the kick-to-handball ratio and winning/losing. If sides finish with a ratio close to one, they usually end up losing a game, whereas sides that finish closer to 1.5 end up winning (assuming both sides have similar total disposal counts). Had almost the same number of disposals as the Cats today, however, they kicked the ball far more than handballing it. We were the opposite and were often caught running around in circles and handballing it nowhere. It was a big reason we looked to be playing slow footy all day. And when we did actually kick it, our skills were woeful.

Delivery I50 was truly horrible today and gave our forwards no chance. Tom Stewart had a day out repelling our junk entries. Walla and Joey were soundly beaten by their opponents and although the Bagman tried valiantly, he was once again exposed on several occasions. We really should start exploring options for his position.

The Cats systematically broke us down all day. I was scratching my head all day wondering why the coaches weren’t making moves to clean up the way we were delivering/moving the ball into our forward line. I thought they would structure up differently after half time or at least instruct the players to use the corridor more, kick it more than handballing it, try and inject some pace through the middle, etc. Perhaps, they did and I wasn’t aware of it.

The Cats are a well-drilled side and comprehensively outplayed us in every aspect today.

10 Likes

Smashed stats wise

Not many of our players were strong contributors and they had them all over park

Midfield got arses handed to them and that was without Selwood playing

Sorry, not sure how to write a message! If anyone went to the game with @Paul_Peos can you please let him know that his phone is at gate 2!

23 Likes

Hey @Mrs_Peos!
Join the DJ Thread!

3 Likes

Still don’t understand Francis forward.

Yes, eventually, but why now?

2 Likes

When you consider everything that happened on Anzac Day.

We came out today with no fire in the belly, no anger, no edge, no intensity and played at about 10% of what we did against Collingwood. To me that is the most worrying part of it all. Whose is to blame for that?

We have learnt nothing from last year. It’s just a case of history repeating itself.

8 Likes

Barely acceptable backline.
Poor in the midfield.
Pathetic in the fwd line (Stringer excepted).
Woeful, inept coaching.
Another mediocre season coming up.

7 Likes

We are a 7th-12th team

4 Likes

Spineless performance, genuine pretenders.

3 losses this year have been against top 4 teams and 2 of them have been very poor efforts.
Miles and miles away from it, miles

6 Likes

8th at best.

I feel like I’ve watched that game on repeat for 15 years. We have four or five of these every season, it seems.

One step forward, one step back.

Yeah they’ll win some more and lose some more, and probably finish 10th. Ho hum.

4 Likes

I’m sick of it

1 Like