Review vs Collingfree

Raz out

Not capitalizing on scoreboard when we had large dominant periods of the game in 3rd.

Umps

Momentum with them in last as their midfield got on top, in part perhaps due to us being a man down all game rotations wise but also Grundy / Pendles / Sidebottom lifted as did De Goey.

We really could have won that game which makes it all the more frustrating.

2 Likes

Our forwards and mids ran out of gas in the last. Numerous times we had a fast break or intercept and had bigger all options going forward. Clearance work killed is in the last too, lost our stoppage structure and let them out the front to easily.
Interesting at selection this week, Langford would usually get dropped after that, but is he now off Wooshas shlt list??
FRANG in for AMBROSE.

I’m sorry for everything I said

1 Like

Was a bit sick this morning and completely passed out at midday after working, til close to 3/4 time. From what I’m reading, sounds like a blessing in disguise.

Really poor. Poor selection. Poor coaching. Poor effort by the players when it counted.

Selection. Dropped Dea who had done nothing wrong and brought in McNiece who has shown exactly zero in his several shots at senior level. He duly did nothing again today. Then when Fantasia had to go out we brought in Long, who has shown even less at senior level than McNeice except indecision at crucial moments, which he did again today. We’ve been bold at selection in the past couple of months. Why oh why choose today to go backwards?

Poor coaching. Saad as a lockdown defender? God save me. All it did was put him in a position he couldn’t play and rob us of half our run out of half back. Ambrose was the best on Stephenson but he was replaced by McKenna, again robbing us of our attack.

Poor effort when it counted. They were all over us in the last. Killed us all over the ground just by superior effort.

So much for dreams of finals. And with all round performances like that we don’t deserve them.

5 Likes

Grundy killed us after half time and we simply weren’t classy enough going forward.

Happy with what we put up though. Much better than the last few putrid efforts against them.

1 Like

Colyer looked very slow.

1 Like

Totally agree re McNiece and Ambrose - I really felt Francis deserved a spot this week over Ambrose.

We are very much a momentum team, with the ability to blow the opposition away at times. Today we were prevented from gaining any momentum by some of the most disgracefully blatant one-sided umpiring I have ever witnessed. Losing Fanta was a big out but you just cannot beat the umps when they seem to be deliberately stopping every run in its tracks.

2 Likes

You do have a number of good points. A bit overdone though. Hard for Ambrose to continue with what looked like a hamstring.

This comment is short sighted.

We’ve currently got about 9-10 injured. 5 of them (Fanta Joe Zaha Parish Gleeson) are clear best 22, another couple (Lav Ambo Begley Redman) on the fringes.

Our depth is not that bad.
The depth to our depth? Yeeesh…

3 Likes

VOur intent around the pill (apart from a few exceptions) was poor. I think we are a soft team, at time the Pies just ragged dolled us.Where we sit on the ladder is where we belong.

Tackles Smith 13
Merrett 8
tippa 6
Long 5

3 Likes

No. 31 Pls.

2 Likes

Could have easily won that game today, but still have too many brain fades and skill errors when it matters.
We can’t continue to carry the really slow players in todays game because sooner or later the good teams will break down the team defence which leaves you way too open.
Goddard needs to be managed to play 2 out of every 3 games.
Francis needs to be brought in, so at least one KPB has the balls to take the game on instead of gutless little chips around the backline.
Only when the club shows some balls and gives the youngsters a go instead of playing underdone senior players are we going to go anyway. If it wasn’t for the saga we wouldn’t have known what half our youngsters were capable of.
Still need a huge amount of work with awareness prior to getting the ball.

1 Like

His only asset is speed an the rest is ■■■■. No speed. No need for him

1 Like

It doesn’t matter how well we tackle, all you have to do if you are caught is throw it, drop it or put in on the ground and punch it away. The maggots finally paid one for that today and no surprises it was against Hepp, a couple of minutes later and play on when the pies do it.

We might have got pantsed in the last qtr but if anyone did a head count, they had more players on the field.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking. Let him play 2’s until he’s ready. I love the guy, but he was a liability today - especially with Fanta out. And I’m not just talking about his run, his disposal, his decision making was slow as.

1 Like

can we just stop losing games. like, forever.

4 Likes

I thought we where pretty good today… but not unlucky to lose, pies found something… degoey was good, there where 2 kicks he had from half back were amazing on to his team mates. And Pendles in the last just being able to hold up in heavy traffic and make a great decision got them the win in my mind. (we really lack that in heppel, and we need that kind of player, i feel langford has a bit of that)

I thought the umpiring was fine, there where no howlers except for degoeys mark for mine. (there where ones that could have been paid but may have been hard to see for the umps… but that always hapens)
And alot of the free kicks we gave away where strategic hence the balance.
The only critcism i have is them suddenly enforcing time wasting on mckernan… (cause the herald sun wrote time wasting on the paper last week)
The set shot was always part of the game and players took time and clock was stopped. yet it has been put to the sword for the sake of this “play on at all costs” to free the game up and get rid of congestion… the AFL is a joke when it comes to pandering to the trending view of football… they are wrecking the game by telling umps what they want to see less or more of each week… its all over the shop.

And i didnt see that 50 against goddard, what was it for? did he hold up a player behind the ball? geez when was the last time a 50 for obstructing a player to get to the ball was paid?

2 Likes

The umpiring today was sufficiently one-sided to have cost us the game. Take that away and I think we may well have won this one and would almost certainly have been a few goals up by half-time. I watched the game with my mate- who is a pies fan btw - and even he was amazed by the biased umpiring.

That said the conditions suited the pies more than us, although I thought we fought well all day until we ran out of legs a little towards the end. Disappointing to lose but personally I’m not down on the players for this one. We’ve just got to be at least ten goals better to beat anyone this year, judging by this kind of umpiring.

8 Likes