Review vs Geelong 2023

It definitely feels like there’s a bit more substance to us this year. Bar the start (which needs to be seriously looked into) at least we are sustaining our effort. It was more our skill level that cruelled us today. To a large degree that can be tidied up.

Not horrible today against a serious team.

8 Likes

Short break against the top side and likely being very deflated over Anzac Day. Had my worries coming into this game we’d be blown away and first quarter looked it

But to our credit we kept fighting hard, to put 100 on the board vs them is big

Only lost by 5 goals and we would have gifted them 5+

The main thing for us is to clean up disposal/decision making, can’t be just allowing easy goals as often as we do. And the slow starts.

Plenty of positives from the game however

Stringer was immense and great to see Weideman have the impact he has against good sides past few weeks. Also rapt Walla was back, still some magic moments

13 Likes

Would have to say we beat most teams kicking 16.8 or whatever it was

4 Likes

These starts need to be seriously addressed.

7 Likes

Disappointing yes. But last year we’d have lost by 100. Skill errors etc still an issue but they had a crack at least.

19 Likes

Gave them a 6 goal head start & gave them a further 4-5 goals from D50 turnovers. There’s the game. We’re just not there yet with being able to absorb pressure.

Old Essendon would have rolled over and died in that game. Was pleasing to see us battle it out to the end and hang 100 points on the premiers.

18 Likes

Single biggest issue were the blatant turnovers by both hand and foot.

There’s a bit of resilience in the group , but not currently the quality or strength where it’s needed.

25 Likes

Lav was greatly missed for obvious reasons, but the upsides of this performance are considerable. We are clearly still a work-in-progress but this is a very different side from the one that would’ve just capitulated last year.

5 Likes

meh im over hounarlbe losses had enough to last me a life time

2 Likes

Amongst lots of other things, Can’t play Hobbs, Merrett, Parish, McGrath, DAmbrosio, Snelling and Tippa all in the same side. It is just way too small.
And then to get smashed in ground balls?

1 Like

First 22 minutes:
Geelong 6.2.38
Essendon 0.0.0

Last 98 minutes:
Geelong 14.10.94
Essendon 16.8.104

Costly first quarter lapse. Not saying we would have won either way but it really is debilitating for a team and their confidence when the scoreboard shows 38-0 and the work required to get back into it.

Martin’s handball in the 3rd was a real momentum killer unfortunately and snuffed out any small hope.

Not that it should ever have been debated by Blitzers, but Weideman is an absolute lock every single week. No dispute.

That game for the last 3.5 quarters was significantly better than anything we have produced against Geelong for a good 3-4 years. They are going to go very deep into September again.

I loved how we didn’t, after the ■■■■ start, fall in a heap after the short break. We remained competitive and hope to do the same against Port and Lions in coming two weeks.

Refresh this week, full week break and put our final 5 day break behind us.

26 Likes

that’s exactly the same mentality people had in 2017, oh we had a 4 day break to play melbourne and they rolled us, but i’m “content”.

you can’t have it both ways, you can’t (not you specifically) ■■■■■ and moan we want anzac day to be ours, then complain oh we had a 4 day break blah blah.

we had a 6 odd month break and geelong did exactly the same ■■■■ last year. while essendon goes to sleep with the lights on when they play the likes of geelong, richmond and collingwood, geelong must absolutely wet themselves with joy when they play us as they know it’s the easiest win they will get all season.

what’s the opposite of sleeping with the lights on, cos geelong must get their absolute best sleep ever when they rock up to play us, it’s the most easiest win they will get all year.

1 Like

I called it after Tuesdays game. "We will start against Geelong they way we finished ".

You take that first 20 minutes out and we only lose by 1 point

3 Likes

From the moment the fixture was announced the result of this game was irrelevant to our season.

Rest up lads and let’s have a real crack at the Power next week.

14 Likes

Played pretty well after crap start
14.08 v 14.09 last 3 qtrs.

1 Like

I know. I thought I’d come to the wrong site for a minute!

4 Likes

I think we can knock the Power off.

5 Likes

Good -

Didn’t give up after poor start
Scored well

Bad -

Getting ball out of D50
Stopping opposition get ball out of their D50
Dumb turnovers

2 Likes

Sleeping with the lights off?